Winnipegers

espressoguy

Nominee Member
Mar 26, 2007
North
O.K. I think it very strange that the Internet is suppose to "bring the worl;d together", making it smaller, yet I can't chat with people from my home town. Any winnipegers out there? I just want to chat....:lol:

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I live in Manitoba... Westman, near Brandon and Peace Gardens area.

And I read the Winnipeg Free Press everyday...

not many winnepegers on this site, so I am probably the closest thing to it.

Topics - gov. I want Gary Doer and the NDP out of the leg. - The only reason the NDP do well in this prov. is because of Doer, and he wins them their votes. I am quite frankly sick and tired of Doer's antics, and I think Hugh McFayden and the Conservatives are looking alot more appealing.

New stadium... do you want a dome? I think I do... also I think they should start a new one, not fix up the old one. Generally I don't care for Asper's proposal.

And "Canwest Global TV- National Post" stadium is not my cup of tea.

And Asper already owns the Goldeye's stadium... Canwest Park.

What about NHL? I think it would be nice for someone to invest to get us an NHL team back, but I would not want taxes towards that.

Also, what about our stagnant population growth... all of our young people are leaving... most west.

I am a prime example, I am in my 20s and plan to move to BC or Alberta eventually.

Manitoba is not an appealing province to me.

Also Saskatchewan has surpassed us... we are officially the new "Saskatchewan of Canada".

I also wish they would drop or PST to 6%... I would vote for any party, that promised that.

you?

vice

Apr 14, 2007
Edmonton
Up until last June, me, my wife, and our kids lived in Winnipeg for the past five years. I also lived there before as a kid.

It's an ok city to live in. I hated the potholes & mosquitos. The extreme temperatures also left something to be desired. Decent scenery and a wonderful cultural life. Very high property taxes, but now having lived in Edmonton for the past several months a witnessing things like poor snow clearing I can see that those property taxes were worth paying.

I kinda miss all the things you could do in and around Winnipeg, like go to Selkirk or Lockport for fish & chips, go to Grand Beach, go to the Corn & Apple festival in Morden, go for a day trip down to Grand Forks.

As for the NHL, it's nice to be living in an NHL city now. When they built the MTS Centre I shook my head. The facility was a great idea, but why didn't they think about the future and a possible NHL team? As it stands, a 15,000 seat arena isn't big enough.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Manitobans are so cynical.

Its why we hate ourselves so much!

Most Manitobans hat Winnipeg, hate the province, hate this, hate that, very cynical province.

McFayden would be a piece of fresh air from the 8 years of Doer.

Do not get me wrong... I live in RURAL FARM LAND MANITOBA.. a Conservative strong-hold if ya ever saw one. And I was PRO-NDP, for 5-6 years their... but I believe in change, and Doer has had his shot at 8 years... and I personally think Conservative provincially would be better for the economy.

So I used to be NDP, but I moved into the Con. Camp (provincially speaking)

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
let me get this straight. from this and your patriotism thread your just out of your teens and have seen the error of his ways and managed to fall in line with the local pathos just in time to vote (first time?) for a leader who's most substantial quality is that he can offer a breath of fresh air like Manitoba has a shortage of it.

sure you're not just trying to get lucky with the riding prez's daughter?

Last edited:

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
now what's so special about McFayden that I should vote for him?

I'm not satisfied with Doer either but I've been around the block too many times to think that's any reason to vote for his opponent.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Because after 8 years Doer has become corrupt.

And he had had an affair with Arnold Swartenegger.. he no longer is in touch with the people.

McFayden is respectable and not some beurocrat.

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm in the east end of Winnipeg, and wouldn't have it any other way. I lived in Calgary for a year and came back, money isn't everything. Besides the previously mentioned things I'm just an hour away from the Whitshell and some great camping and fishing. I'm also a hunter and you can't beat the surrounding area for ducks and geese. My kids go to some great schools and are very active in the local sports scene. Winnipeg and Manitoba may not be booming but getting a chance to catch your breath once in a while is more than worth it. Winnipeg is old enough to have great mom and pop institutions like the Bridge drive inn, C Kelekies, the Blue Note, and many others that you won't find west of the Saskatchewan/Alberta border. Yes, we lost the Jets because we couldn't afford them, but after a brief mourning period I've witnessed a great comeback by the citizens here and Nobody but Nobody supports special events like Worlds women hockey championships, the PanAm games etc. better than Winnipeggers.

If all you can do is bitch and whine about this province and city then you'll have to go somewhere else if for no other reason than to know what you've left.

Now as for politics...
I'm ready to switch from the NDP but McFayden is such a whinner, hearing him speak gives me that "fingernails on a blackboard" feeling. All he does is complain. I've never heard him come up with any proposals or answers to his bitching. I switched my federal vote to Harper because he had something to offer, McFayden just drones on about how the NDP is ssoooo bad. Doer isn't flashy but from what I've seen he governs within our means ad has brought a slow but steady rise in stature for this province.

As for a new stadium, Little IZ (Asper) and Mr Ledohowsky just need to get together and form a joint proposal. No tax dollars needed, no implications with not competing with the established venues of the ballpark and the arena. It would be all privately owned and privately funded. As for the location as long as it's not in the old "packers" site (the smell in tat neck of the woods would kill any hotdog sales) it doesn't matter, like they say in the movies "If you build it they will come".

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
we could do worse than Doer.

hell of a slogon

"you could do worse" :lol:

Diarygirl

Electoral Member
Oct 28, 2008
Newfoundland
I'm currently living in Winnipeg and working here. Lived here for two years prior to this comeback. Seasonal work takes me here. I do volunteer work here as well. I love the city of Winnipeg and have to say that it has a reputation for "Friendly Manitoba" and stands up to it's name. I have not (knock on wood) run into anyone who has been unfriendly. The only thing I had a hard time getting used to was the bitter winters! LOL Other than that, I am happy to be here!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The best people in the world come from Winnipeg and Manitoba.

Besides us, you can also include;

Burton Cummings (musician)
Randy Bachman (musician)
Tommy Douglas (politician)
Doug Henning (magician)
Deanna Durbin (at one point the most highly paid female star in the world)
Alfred van Vogt (named a grandmaster of the genre by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America)
Anna Paquin (Oscar winner)
Todd MacCulloch (NBA)
Charles Thorason (designed and christened Bugs Bunny)
David Steinburg - (comedian/actor)
Lenny Breau (world-reknown guitarist)
Tracy Dahl (soprano)
Corey Koskie (Baseball)
Chantel Kreviazzuk (singer)
Leo Mol (artist)
Evelyn Hart (ballerina)
Bif Naked (singer)
Loreena McKennitt (singer)
http://us.imdb.com/M/person-exact?+Hall,+MontyMonty Hall (tv host)
Ash Modha (founder of Mondetta Clothing)
Billy Barker (WWI Fighter Ace)
Francis Hans Johnston (Group of Seven member)
Sir William Stephenson (WWII spy; the real Intrepid)
http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/terry-fox/Terry Fox (national hero)
Winnie The Pooh

....and more hockey players and curlers than I care to name