Prostitution: legal-ethical discussion-debate

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The province is stepping up efforts to deter prostitution in the streets of Winnipeg, launching a new plan aimed to balance punishment and education.

The action plan introduces a combination of tougher penalties for the customers of prostitutes and more help for women who want to get off the streets.

"What's called the world's oldest profession should also be called the world's oldest oppression," said Attorney General Gord Mackintosh Thursday as he launched the new strategy.

Johns can now face drivers' licence suspensions if they're convicted of prostitution-related offences. Drivers would lose their licence for one year after a first conviction; subsequent convictions within a decade could result in licences being yanked for two years.

Manitoba currently can seize vehicles owned by people convicted of prostitution offences, but that can't happen if the john is driving someone else's vehicle.

The entire article at http://www.cbc.ca/manitoba/story/mb-prostitution-20060526.html

What do you think?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Re: Anti-prostitution plan yanks driver's licences: MB

I guess my biggest complaint,

would be about the exploitation of children. People who exploit children should be locked up for life. I would also lock up for life the johns who patronize child prostitutes. Take away the slimy market and the child sex trade would dissappear.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
RE: Anti-prostitution plan yanks driver's licences: MB

Wake the f up and decriminalize prostitution. It isn't going away, ever, and making it legal would stop the bad shit associated with it.

Who cares if someone wants to pay for sex and somone else wants to take money for it? Grow up and get your nose out of peoples sex lives.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Re: RE: Anti-prostitution plan yanks driver's licences: MB

thecdn said:
Wake the f up and decriminalize prostitution. It isn't going away, ever, and making it legal would stop the bad shit associated with it.

Who cares if someone wants to pay for sex and somone else wants to take money for it? Grow up and get your nose out of peoples sex lives.

You wake the f--- up. I sure as hell care if some slimebag is exploiting children. Prostitution is not a victimless crime if children are involved. Some of the ladies in the trade were brought in as children. If they want now to get out of the life, we should help. If you can't see that, you need help.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
RE: Anti-prostitution plan yanks driver's licences: MB

F off yourself #juan. I'm not talking about not helping children and you know that. I'm talking about prostitution in general regarding people of adult age being given criminal records for acts that shouldn't be illegal.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

F off yourself #juan. I'm not talking about not helping children and you know that. I'm talking about prostitution in general regarding people of adult age being given criminal records for acts that shouldn't be illegal.

thecdn

I already stated my case against child exploitation and you know that. Don't tell me to f--- off again. This is not a request.

I threw your little "wake the f up" slur back at you. These forums don't need that either.

Naci_Sey

Apr 30, 2006
Paradise - Vancouver Island

I think it's a novel approach. Most johns cruise the streets looking for prostitutes; withdrawing their licences has an element of poetic justice.

It's a fact that most adult prostitutes began sex work as children. The AG's comment that the world's oldest profession should also be called the world's oldest oppression makes the point well.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Licensing Prostitution

I do think that the sex trade should be lawful, under very particular and safe circumstances. Obviously, this should not be the case where the exploitation of children is a factor, and steps should be taken and efforts made to ensure that this is not the case and to restrict this from happening. Persons are often thought to be "forced" into the trade, and to that end, we should ensure that those who do indeed decide to enter into this practice are protected and safe.

Every one in Canada, including our sex trade workers, are quite deserving of the protection of the rule of law. We should regulate the practice of prostitution to ensure that persons are engaged in this occupation, and to ensure that the negative practices often associated with prostitution continue to be unlawful, and enforced as such.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.

In this, the age of reality TV,why not film the "johns" at play and then show the results to the home audience. The public ridicule will do more to curb their habits than merely yanking a driver's permit.

Toro

Senate Member

Prostitution should be legal.

Sex with children should not.

Its bizarre to me that, in the 21st century, we are regulating sexual behavior. If two consenting adults want to enter into a business transaction regarding sex, that's their business - not yours, not mine, not anyone else's.

Criminalizing prostitution is no different than criminalizing homosexuality.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

#juan said:

thecdn

I already stated my case against child exploitation and you know that. Don't tell me to f--- off again. This is not a request.

I threw your little "wake the f up" slur back at you. These forums don't need that either.

I don't believe this was directed at you Juan. It's a blanket statement to all who want to keep it illegal.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

thecdn

"F off yourself #juan". is not an accident. I don't want to see it again. It is up to you.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL

#juan said:
thecdn

"F off yourself #juan". is not an accident. I don't want to see it again. It is up to you.

My post agreeing with Jays statement that mine was a blanket statement was referring to the "Wake the f up and decriminalize prostitution." comment in my post that was the third one on this thread. It was a general rant, quoting no one, about dealing with protitution.

My comment that you've quoted above is of course related to the "You wake the f--- up." comment that you directed at me after quoting my post.

I hadn't realized that it was ok for moderators to make such comments but not the common folk. Now I understand.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Is it time for Canada to legalize prostitution?

Since we live in a country that has sexual content on TV and the movies we are getting people to have appetite about sex.

People are having sex at a younger age and people who can’t have sex because of how they look would feel more comfortable going to a prostitute.

Legalized prostitution would give people more jobs.

Keep the sex workers healthy and gainfully employed.

They can get a good pension plan.

What do you think?

http://www.liberator.net/articles/prostitution.html

http://www.sexwork.com/coalition/whatcountrieslegal.html

http://www.fff.org/freedom/1293e.asp

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
At the very least, changes to the prostitution laws are overdue. The Fraser report was released back in 1986 after extensive studies and consultations which showed how ineffective and contradictory the current laws are.

In Canada it is perfectly legal to buy sex and sell sex. In Canada it is illegal to buy or sell sex in a safe manner. The law sanctions the existence of a contact sex trade and then proceeds to strip its consumers and workers of all forms of safety and dignity.

They have had two decades to do something about it and have done nothing, that is the worrisome aspect.

Agimat

Apr 19, 2007
omg what is the world coming too, when men still are unevolved and view women as sex toys:(

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
omg what is the world coming too, when men still are unevolved and view women as sex toys:(

How about the disabled clients, like quadripeligics, who aren't interested in sex but want someone to talk to? How about these clients, who due to their disabilities or disfigurements are unable to attract a mate but feel the need for social intimacy?

Furthermore, what about the male prostitutes? Also, why isn't a woman free to choose what to do with her sexuality? How are these prostitutes sex toys? They still have the choice to refuse clients. Except under these current laws where transactions must be rushed and the prostitute may make a bad call because she doesn't have time to ask questions.

That is a very narrow minded view to hold, especially as it discounts all the work done by pro-prostitution feminists around the world and ignores the plight of the male and trans-gendered prostitute. Calling these people sex toys and dehumanizing them in that way is far more denigrating than the choices of the workers and the clients.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula

Sex drive in humans is sex drive in humans. it is there, and it will never go away. And it needs to be fulfilled. Some can connect this sexual fulfillment to a certain relationship, and get it within that relationship, some can't, for a variety of reasons. Some people's sexual desires are simple and conventional, and thus easy to satisfy, some people's aren't. And it concerns both males and females. So there will always be demand for prostitution, and where there is demand, there is supply. The thing is to make things safe for the people who resort to this kind of services.

Agimat

Apr 19, 2007
How about the disabled clients, like quadripeligics, who aren't interested in sex but want someone to talk to? How about these clients, who due to their disabilities or disfigurements are unable to attract a mate but feel the need for social intimacy?

Furthermore, what about the male prostitutes? Also, why isn't a woman free to choose what to do with her sexuality? How are these prostitutes sex toys? They still have the choice to refuse clients. Except under these current laws where transactions must be rushed and the prostitute may make a bad call because she doesn't have time to ask questions.

That is a very narrow minded view to hold, especially as it discounts all the work done by pro-prostitution feminists around the world and ignores the plight of the male and trans-gendered prostitute. Calling these people sex toys and dehumanizing them in that way is far more denigrating than the choices of the workers and the clients.

Hehehehee - Yeah sure, I'm quite a quiet person myself i'm very shy also not much confidence I'm just gonna blow £100 and go see a prostitue:). Male prostitutes for ****'s sake if prostitution was not bad enough you people have even more degenerate imagionations than what I imagined, i'm sure with a country as decadent and capitilaist as yours animal-sex and gimp mask sex with youung girls will be just the norm in 10=20 years time cause that's where your heading. Don't give me all that freedom of choice bull****, a woman is designed to what her nature demands her body is designed to bear children did you study at school? - or has your left wing goverment now brainwashed you into believing that gay couples rasing children is perfectly normal and accectable, oh no sorry we're evolved now arn't we, we're so evolved that any kind of decadance or abnormalities are recognised. Do not confuse freedom of choice bull**** with desgins of a capitalist goverment that has used power to control sex and other pleasures to generate dollar symbols.

A very narrow minded view, Are you not the one who is deluded to think that a someone can be a feminist and sell her bosy and still have pride in this? - give me a break, you are more brainwashed than I thought by your capitalist scum. It's funny isn't it? - I live in a western society that rejects me and dehumanises me because of learning difficulties, yet homosexuals, transexuals are glorified for no apparent reason? does noone not see an imbalance here? - as bill hicks would say where is my commercial?. A 22 year old hetrosexual law abiding male, who didn't have such a good start in life, and had to go to a special needs school and yet triumphed or adversity, who is loyal to his partner, respects women as an equal, will be extremely proud to have children one day- is seen as abnormal, whereas any kind of depravity is seen as the norm? - can anyone help me out here? maybe I was just born too late or am too old fashioned, or maybe I can see things for what they really are? :)