For vanni and rev

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Ahhh, Summer in Manitoba

Burgess braves blood sucking monsters in search of Brandon bliss.
By Steve Burgess
Published: August 2, 2005

I’m in Brandon, Manitoba, town of my raising. I had to come back. My people are fighting a war against the mosquito, and my place is here on the front lines. I will return to Vancouver covered in the bumpy scars of battle—if I return at all. Casualties are mounting.

Steve Burgess is critic at large @ Tyee.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I never knew Steve Burgess was from Brandon.

The mosquitoes really haven't been that bad around here lately. We've had lots of wind, which encourages them to hunker down in the tall grass instead of chewing on us.

My opposition to spraying isn't the malathion, although I do wish they'd switch to the stuff made from gladiolas if they insist on sparying. My opposition to the spraying is how futile it is. If the weather remains perfect you get up to 48 hours of relief...then the next batch hatches. Since the city can only spray a couple areas a night, a slight breeze the morning after they spray can fill the area up with mosquitoes again in a couple of hours. It seems like a waste of money to me.

Add in that the spraying also kills dragonflies and the small frogs and toads that eat mosquitoes, and it seems like we are making the long-term problem worse for a few hours of relief.