Maple Leaf Foods to Replace TFWs with Syrian refugees

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
“We would be very pleased and honoured to be part of the solution in terms of helping find employment for the Syrian refugees,” Rory McAlpine, Senior VP at Maple Leaf told the Canadian Press. “We have jobs available.”

McAlpine says Maple Leaf has 25 positions available in Brandon, Manitoba and 10 in Lethbridge, Alberta.

“We already have some Muslims working in our pork plants, even though they do not consume pork. Similarly, Muslims may work in a chicken plant even if it is not producing halal chicken,” he said.

Federal Employment Minister MaryAnn Mihychuk told reporters, “We want to help refugees engage in the local workplace, […] under the refugee program we are working with immigration to ensure that some of those people are going to be placed in a community like Brandon.”

OUR TAKE:

The Canadian meat processing industry is hurting for cheap workers, due to recent cuts to the foreign temporary worker program, and this is the first of what will no doubt be many industry attempts to snag refugee replacements. Syrians who are happy to get any sort of work that isn't in a war zone are an attractive replacement to temporary Mexican imports, but the real labour solution for Maple Leaf and others would be to pay locals a living wage to do the work.

Maple Leaf Foods (T.MFI) looks to replace temporary foreign workers with Syrian refugees-T.MFI-Stockhouse news

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Oh I'm sure these guys will "rush" right to the jobs working with Pork and non-halal chicken. Are they serious?? OMG

Whatever.....

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Not surprising.

If you're an immigrant to this country you get McJobs regardless of your qualifications.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
well, judging from the 125 year ukrainians in canada thread, I'd say re the TFW designation, its just the TEMPORARY part that's changed

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Not surprising.

If you're an immigrant to this country you get McJobs regardless of your qualifications.
True indeed. I knew a Russian aerospace engineer who worked on the design team for the Blackjack bomber.

He was working as the maintenance man for an apartment complex.

Sz Tom

Jan 5, 2016
How come every time I get in a Cab, the immigrant driver tells me he was an Astronaut in his home country.

Sz Tom

Jan 5, 2016
Hey Petros...

I'm looking at your avatar pic and you look a bit like John Voight to me. Just sayin...

Has anyone told you that before?