Crop report may 17 to 23, 2011

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Fifty-four per cent of the 2011 crop has been seeded, according to Saskatchewan Agriculture's Weekly Crop Report. The five year (2006-2010) average for this time of year is approximately 72 per cent seeded.

Significant seeding progress was made in western and northern regions during the past week. Producers in the eastern and southern regions were able to get into the fields for a few days; however, recent rainfall has challenged seeding operations in some areas.

The southeast is reporting 24 per cent seeded, the southwest 55 per cent, the east-central 43 per cent, the west-central 74 per cent, the northeast 62 per cent and the northwest 79 per cent.

Topsoil moisture on cropland is rated as 34 per cent surplus, 61 per cent adequate and five per cent short. Hay and pasture topsoil moisture is rated as 30 per cent surplus, 63 per cent adequate and seven per cent short.

Livestock water availability is adequate and pasture conditions are rated as 34 per cent excellent, 50 per cent good, 14 per cent fair and two per cent poor.

Personally I was lucky with last fall's gorgeous Oct and seeded 7200 aces of winter wheat which germinated beautifully

As the clock ticks and the days and weeks go by the types of crops I'll be able to seed on the remaining 2500 acres is rapidly declining.

If things don't improve we are going to see another hefty increase in food costs next winter.

The weather and waiting game is the hardest part of being a producer but it's also great concern to me personally on how it will effect the rest of the people who are going to be unable to afford to eat.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Maybe it's time for Celebrity Farm Blow-Up

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's been a slow start here on the Island. Heavy rains soaked the Maritimes in mid-May. Some crops were just breaking the soil when the rain hit. Now they're three weeks behind, and some probably drowned. Seems like many Canadian farmers are facing the same. It's been a cold and damp spring.The drying index is still very poor, but on the plus side the growing degree days are rising...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The drying index is still very poor, but on the plus side the growing degree days are rising...
I need at least 8 days at 20C before I'll drop misture content low enough and get the soil warm enough to get an ideal germination and it's going to have to be oats or barley which is going to make for an early harvest in late august and a later harvest in late sept early oct.. If I beat hail, frost, snow and ergot I've got wheat cased. I would have prefered canola which would have lead straight into wheat. I was hoping to spend August in northern MB pulling cores.

How do say that in french? sest la vye?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I need at least 8 days at 20C before I'll drop misture content low enough and get the soil warm enough to get an ideal germination and it's going to have to be oats or barley which is going to make for an early harvest in late august and a later harvest in late sept early oct.. If I beat hail, frost, snow and ergot I've got wheat cased. I would have prefered canola which would have lead straight into wheat. I was hoping to spend August in northern MB pulling cores.

How do say that in french? sest la vye?

c'est la vie

If high school french serves.......

Your profession would drive me nuts..

A short trip.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
For the Period May 31 to June 6, 2011

Seventy-nine per cent of the 2011 crop has been seeded according to Saskatchewan Agriculture's Weekly Crop Report. The five year (2006-2010) average for this time of year is approximately 90 per cent seeded. In 2010, 70 per cent of the crop was seeded at this time.
Rain was recorded for most of the province during the past week. Producers in the west central and northern regions are near seeding completion. Significant seeding progress was made in the east central region. Producers in the southern regions made some progress, however, the weather and field conditions continue to be challenging.

The southeast is reporting 40 per cent seeded, the southwest 77 per cent, the east-central 83 per cent, the west central 98 per cent, the northeast 97 per cent and the northwest is reporting 95 per cent of the crop seeded.

Across the province, topsoil moisture on cropland is rated as 33 per cent surplus, 59 per cent adequate, and eight per cent short. Hay and pasture topsoil moisture is rated as 31 per cent surplus, 56 per cent adequate, 12 per cent short and one per cent very short.

Eighty-eight per cent of the spring cereals are in the pre-emergent to emerging stage. Forty-nine per cent of the fall cereals are in the tillering stage. Eighty-four per cent of the pulse crops and 80 per cent of the canola and mustard are in the pre-emergent to emerging stage. The majority of crop damage is due to flooding and frost.

Farmers are busy seeding, calving, hauling cattle to pasture and controlling weeds.
Seventy-nine per cent of the 2011 crop has been seeded according to Saskatchewan Agriculture's Weekly Crop Report. The five year (2006-2010) average for this time of year is approximately 90 per cent seeded. In 2010, 70 per cent of the crop was seeded at this time.

Rain was recorded for most of the province during the past week. Producers in the west central and northern regions are near seeding completion. Significant seeding progress was made in the east central region. Producers in the southern regions made some progress, however, the weather and field conditions continue to be challenging.

The southeast is reporting 40 per cent seeded, the southwest 77 per cent, the east-central 83 per cent, the west central 98 per cent, the northeast 97 per cent and the northwest is reporting 95 per cent of the crop seeded.

Across the province, topsoil moisture on cropland is rated as 33 per cent surplus, 59 per cent adequate, and eight per cent short. Hay and pasture topsoil moisture is rated as 31 per cent surplus, 56 per cent adequate, 12 per cent short and one per cent very short.

Eighty-eight per cent of the spring cereals are in the pre-emergent to emerging stage. Forty-nine per cent of the fall cereals are in the tillering stage. Eighty-four per cent of the pulse crops and 80 per cent of the canola and mustard are in the pre-emergent to emerging stage. The majority of crop damage is due to flooding and frost.

Farmers are busy seeding, calving, hauling cattle to pasture and controlling weeds.

And this one just finished 32 hours of non-stop seeding.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's not quite as stagnant as they make it out to be, at least as far as new varieties are concerned. Saskatchewan has a great research center in their Crop Development Center. In 40 years they've developed nearly 400 new varieties, with an annual budget right now is in the neighbourhood of $12 million.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
The take-away I got from this relates to the agri-sectors in other countries and the relative growth/influx of investment into the sector.

Considering that Canada has the 3rd largest amount of arable land and a deep history in agriculture/exports, the question as to why Canada isn't exporting more is a fair question

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The take-away I got from this relates to the agri-sectors in other countries and the relative growth/influx of investment into the sector.

I'm not disagreeing with that.

Considering that Canada has the 3rd largest amount of arable land and a deep history in agriculture/exports, the question as to why Canada isn't exporting more is a fair question

Canada has the third largest arable land mass per capita. With the coming changes in the Canadian Wheat Board, a question worth asking is do we want to export more, or do we want to keep more farmers on their land? Viterra is licking their chops right now.

With that much I agree, we haven't had many discussions surrounding Canadian agriculture.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
My understanding of the changes to the CWB will be felt in Western Canada in terms that grain farmers will have the option to go with the CWB or private organizations (much like the arrangement in Ontario and East Canada). While the advent of GM grains will have an impact, it will be up to the individual growers to make that decision but it's a slam-dunk if a group is promising higher yields per acre and the grower is paid via volume per acre.

The other interesting ramification identified in the article alludes to the artificially high cost of food-stuffs to Canadians... For fruits/veggies grown in California, Florida and Mexico, I can see the effect, but considering the size/scope of agri in Canada, the issue still baffles me as to how this could occur in the first place.