The benefit of anthropomorphism

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A thought occurred to me yesterday as I was at the car wash. Never before has a vehicle in our household recieved such loving attention. My van could go months without being washed. The kids could care less if they scuffed their shoes on the seats, or got crumbs on the floor. But not now, not with this car. They even want to buy treats of polish cloths and leather conditioner when we're at the store. The difference? We named 'her', and talk about 'her' as if she were alive. Of course they know it's not literal, but, it spread to thier dad's truck even, and neither ever says 'are we taking the car or the truck?', they ask using their names.

This benefit of anthropomorphism had never really occurred to me before, as obvious as it sounds now that I'm talking about it here. it had never occurred to me that it would help tie people to something, make them treat it with extra care and consideration. The discussions I've heard about anthropomorphism in intro psych were limited to attempts to explain away natural phenomena. It was always addressed as an 'immature' affectation of humanity's past, never really as a useful tool.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
well, I bought a car in late september of 09. and I go as far as calling it my girl.

I don't have a name for it, but I do take care of it and clean it often both inside and out.!

it's a good car. can be a little bitchy at times (with the tires) but it's only got 25,000 kms on it..

ps, that's my old car that I used from 2003-2007 beside it.. nobody currently drives it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
A thought occurred to me yesterday as I was at the car wash. Never before has a vehicle in our household recieved such loving attention. My van could go months without being washed. The kids could care less if they scuffed their shoes on the seats, or got crumbs on the floor. But not now, not with this car. They even want to buy treats of polish cloths and leather conditioner when we're at the store. The difference? We named 'her', and talk about 'her' as if she were alive. Of course they know it's not literal, but, it spread to thier dad's truck even, and neither ever says 'are we taking the car or the truck?', they ask using their names.

This benefit of anthropomorphism had never really occurred to me before, as obvious as it sounds now that I'm talking about it here. it had never occurred to me that it would help tie people to something, make them treat it with extra care and consideration. The discussions I've heard about anthropomorphism in intro psych were limited to attempts to explain away natural phenomena. It was always addressed as an 'immature' affectation of humanity's past, never really as a useful tool.

By chance have they recently started driving your new pride & joy????

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
They're 9 and 10... if they have I really need to get off the comp and start paying better attention to what they're up to. lol.
Just wondering - My car when my Duagter started driving it well she kept it immaculate - Me not so much - That was why i asked .

Good kids you have -

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It's a lot easier to keep track. Not everyone can tell the difference between a Ford and a Chevy, but they'll have instant recall of Ol' Bessie or Lulu or Rumble Guts....

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Part of why it started was that I kept calling the new Mazda 3 'the van', because that's what we had before. I haven't owned a car since highschool, and so it just would NOT roll off my tongue. So, 'Mazie' was born. lol. Then hubby got a coppery coloured small pickup truck for traveling to and from work... 'Penny' (which, btw, he doesn't appreciate, but, it stuck, lol). And then we also have 'The Black Dragon' that slumbers around for the odd weekend when we need to make a garbage run.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
All our vehicles have names, including my company truck. It is convenient. Often work trucks and equipment are given names by their operators, often painted on them.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada

I'm thinking it has little to do with anthropomorphism and more to do with it being a brand new car.
A fresh brand new car they see as their own. It's all exciting momentarily. If their feelings for the car begin to fade away in a few months, and you begin to start noticing muddy footprints on the seats and sticky door handles, I'd not be surprised.:p

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
if I knew what the word was I might comment..... but that suckers a big-un.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
No way man.....Bear get's right upset when people do that....and I know...he'll eat my ass.

lol. Alright, I'll play along and pretend that you haven't looked it up, and tell you that it means essentially, attributing human characteristics to inanimate objects or natural events. Humanizing things.