Someone just knocked on my front door

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
And I pretended to be asleep. Does that make me a bad person?

I mean, it's kind of a discussion of ethics, right? It's like utilitarianism and stuff. The greatest good for the greatest number of people would be for me to pretend like I'm not home and not interact socially with any non-Internet person.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

I mean, it's kind of a discussion of ethics, right? It's like utilitarianism and stuff. The greatest good for the greatest number of people would be for me to pretend like I'm not home and not interact socially with any non-Internet person.

I have days I prefer my solitude too.

Greatest good for the greatest number of people?

Flu?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hey, the good side is that you might have just avoided talking to an encyclopedia salesman.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

It's your home, your life... you don't have to talk to people on the phone, chat on the internet, or answer your own door if you don't want to. You're not obligated to respond to anybody and as the police say, "You have the right to remain silent."

You're tired or simply can't be bothered to talk to anybody, you weren't expecting anybody and you just want to be left alone.... they can kiss yer arse and go away until you're willing to talk.

Maybe the bad person here is the jerk who came over to your place and started whaling on your door without calling first to see if you're home or if it's ok to pop over.

But if you didn't answer their call.... well too bad, obviously you're either not home, busy, or don't want to talk to anybody.... that should have been their first clue.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I do this whenever someone comes to my door. 99% of the time it's some money grubbing charity or religion so unless it is a good freind, the paper boy or family, I don't even get up

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I have sat right on my couch in the living room, and not answered the door. If I want to answer I will,,, if not I won't.

The really annoying thing is when you have some idiot who continually knocks on your door for like 5-10 minutes.

2 knocks.... maybe 3.... after that, get the clue... either nobody's home, or nobody wants to talk to you, leave. :x :angryfire:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just because someone is knocking at your door, or your phone rings, you are under no obligation to answer.

Exactly, I was just going to post the same but you did it for me. "The guy who pays the fiddler calls the tune"

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
"The guy who pays the fiddler calls the tune"
If I was a fiddler I would give the payer a list of tunes before the contract was agreed upon. Then there's no surprises. It's not fair to the fiddler if he's hired to play and then is expected to play something he doesn't know. Jus sayin'...

Don't answer the door if you don't feel like it. Especially if they're bill collectors.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
If someone knocks at our door I answer it. It's the courteous thing to do after someone spent the effort to come visit. There's nothing that says you HAVE to be courteous, though.

I don't answer the phone sometimes. The machine can answer it.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
You have to be careful about who comes a knockin'. One day, not so long ago, my phone rang. Hubby was sleeping cause he just came off graveyard shift. I didn't want the ringing phone to wake him. My kitchen windows look right over the area where my phone sits. Straight out of the shower, I dashed into the kitchen, completely in the buff, but suddenly remembered - the window. I glanced up and there stood my son, with his cell phone in his hand!! He knocked and no one answered so he phoned!
Yesterday, as I sat where I am sitting at this very moment, a floral delivery man arrived at our door. I wasn't in the buff but in my PJ's and once again - even though I have blinds, here is a guy staring me right in the face. You cannot ignore those people. Tomorrow I'm going to Fabricland. I need something more between me and the window that is beside the door. :) Sheer curtains are better than sheer panic!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
If I'm alone, I do not answer the door, until I have figured out if it is someone I will be comfortable with.
Many times I make a decision to ignore it.

I have a little side window I can peer through first,
and it's usually one of my daughters smiling back at me.

The dog is usually barking in his loud baritone voice,
the only time he barks is when the door bell rings.

If we are both home, my husband usually answers the door.
It could be amazon delivery, or charity stuff, or election
stuff, etc., and he just politely deals with it quickly,
and if I'm needed, i'm close by.

If anyone decides I'm a bad person, because I made a decision 'not' to answer the door, that is their problem,
has nothing to do with me.