To be intelligent is to be simple .

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Ignorance is one thing, and the state of not knowing is another state; the two are in no way connected. One may be very learned, clever, efficient, talented, and yet be ignorant. There is ignorance when there is no self-knowledge. The ignorant man is he who is unaware of himself, who does not know his own deceits, vanities, envies, and so on. Self-knowledge is freedom. You may know all about the wonders of the earth and of the heavens, and still not be free from envy, sorrow. But when you say "I don't know", you are learning. To learn is not to accumulate, either knowledge, things or relationships. To be intelligent is to be simple; but to be simple is extraordinarily arduous.
Your point of view in this matter::canada:

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Ignorance is one thing, and the state of not knowing is another state; the two are in no way connected. One may be very learned, clever, efficient, talented, and yet be ignorant. There is ignorance when there is no self-knowledge. The ignorant man is he who is unaware of himself, who does not know his own deceits, vanities, envies, and so on. Self-knowledge is freedom. You may know all about the wonders of the earth and of the heavens, and still not be free from envy, sorrow. But when you say "I don't know", you are learning. To learn is not to accumulate, either knowledge, things or relationships. To be intelligent is to be simple; but to be simple is extraordinarily arduous.

I would simply say in plain and simple English ::"Will & Skill"::

Will of any person cant be improved upon by any other person in this world and Skill can be easily improved again if there is will to improve once skill :roll:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
You hit it right, for sure. The loud mouths, know it alls,
the ones who tell us 'how it is', with no skill to turn
their own dial, to the listen channel, are the most
irritating, and the ones who don't learn much at all.

The quiet listener, the ones who are curious, the ones
who dabble into many areas of life, wanting to know 'how
this works', and how 'that' works, the one's who know 'when' to speak, and when
to listen, they are the special ones, the valuable ones,
and will gather much knowledge, and will know the right
time to share 'what' they know.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Ignorance is one thing, and the state of not knowing is another state; the two are in no way connected.
Really? You'd better let Merriam-Webster, Oxford Dictionary of the English Language, Princeton University Press, Collins Dictionary of the English language, and the various online dictionaries know they are wrong then.
From Merriam-Webster:
Main Entry: ig·no·rance
Pronunciation: \ˈig-n(ə-)rən(t)s\
Function: noun
Date: 13th century
: the state or fact of being ignorant : lack of knowledge, education, or awareness

One may be very learned, clever, efficient, talented, and yet be ignorant.
Ya think? We are all ignorant about something or other. What does a clinical psychologist know about digging up bones in stratified rock formations? What does a laundry worker know about integral calculus?
There is ignorance when there is no self-knowledge. The ignorant man is he who is unaware of himself, who does not know his own deceits, vanities, envies, and so on. Self-knowledge is freedom. You may know all about the wonders of the earth and of the heavens, and still not be free from envy, sorrow.
Um, being envious, sorrowful, self-aware, or ignorant is being human.
But when you say "I don't know", you are learning. To learn is not to accumulate, either knowledge, things or relationships.
Of course it is. If you are aware about stuff concerning yourself, you are knowledgeable about yourself.
To be intelligent is to be simple; but to be simple is extraordinarily arduous.
For some people, I suppose.
It sounds like yuou are saying ignorance is bliss as long as the only thing you know is yourself, to me. If ignorance is bliss, it's folly to be wise, then (paraphrasing Thomas Gray).

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I think what is tried to be said here is thatIntelligence has the undercurrent of being simple. When we are struggle with a puzzle or a problem how many times the answer was so simple that it was right in front of us and we didn't see it?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I think what is tried to be said here is thatIntelligence has the undercurrent of being simple. When we are struggle with a puzzle or a problem how many times the answer was so simple that it was right in front of us and we didn't see it?
Then you didn't know enough to do the puzzle.

TorontoLover

Jan 12, 2010
Toronto
hi everybody.
most people in our time doesnt go after the facts and proofs, they only listen to the news and the media and thats all, but they dont know that it may be false information( wich is the case)...
government are playing with us, they dont tellus the truths and they reallydont wanna peace, they through the words like a wind, but they dont mean it at all.....

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
!Q test for China, the blogger!
1. What colour is green cheese?
2. How many fingers do forefathers have?
3. Can a canoe hold 7 leeks?
4. What is the difference between a Harper Government and a barb-wire fence?

Consider yourself challenged!

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada

Spade , You're full of green cheese .

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC

Consider yourself challenged!

China said, "To be intelligent is to be simple;" so I figure I qualify! Here's my shot at the "Spade Test"...

1. Brown. If you slice your finger when cutting the cheese :-(, the resulting mixture of green and red = brown.
2. Forefathers have 32 fingers. Fore x 8 each =32. (thumbs don't count)
3. A canoe cannot hold any leeks, because after it sinks, the leeks will float away.
4. There are minor differences, but many similarities...they both have sense of purpose (security, in this case), they both have direction - straight and true, they both stand to serve a purpose, and they both offer consequences to offenders.

Differences? The Harper government is sensitive and caring, the barbed wire fence is just cold, unfeeling steel.

:canada:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Ahh, Brother Countryboy! You are definitely above the herd! You scored 3/4. However, you missed the last question. E

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Ahh, Brother Countryboy! You are definitely above the herd! You scored 3/4. However, you missed the last question. E

Cousin Spade, thanks for the high mark! I kinda' figured that no. 4 would be about as popular as a poop in a punchbowl but hey, it was worth a shot! :cool: