The brain is primitive

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
The brain has extraordinary capacity, but it has been conditioned and therefore it is limited. It is not limited in the technological world, computers and so on, but it is very, very limited with regard to the psyche. People have said, “Know yourself”—from the Greeks, from the ancient Hindus, and so on. They study the psyche in another but they never study their own psyche. The psychologists, the philosophers, the experts, never study themselves. They study rats, rabbits, pigeons, monkeys, and so on, but they never say, “I am going to look at myself. I am ambitious, greedy, envious. I compete with my neighbour, with my fellow scientists.” It is the same psyche that has existed for thousands of years, though technologically we are marvellous outwardly. But inwardly we are very primitive.
So the brain is limited, primitive, in the world of the psyche.
Your point of view , Thank you .

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
On the contrary, people study themselves frequently. Some more than others. Inwardly we are primitive. We have needs and desires the same as any other life. But the brain itself is extremely complicated and as yet is unfathomable. To label it as primitive because one does not understand it, it simply silly.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The brain is 'too' unknown, and because it takes a brain to learn about the brain,
it can only move forward with baby steps.
Brains are so competetive that they spend far too much time competing with
other brains, as each is so worried that the other might move further ahead, in so called progress, they can't slow down enough to 'smell the roses'.
It's too bad about all of that,
if there was more thoughtfullness coming out of the brain and less competition,
and suspiciousness, our world could be peacefull, and our earth much healthier.
You are right China, it is 'conditioned', and it takes hard work to overcome that
conditioning, maybe someday, maybe not.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The brain is a computer that has been programmed (socially conditioned) since birth. We are told what to think, how to think and the nature of our reality. Progress is dependent on the social views of the day. They may change, like images n a screen, but the brain itself has not progressed or evolved all that much since we began to think mostly because it has been restricted by its social conditioning.

Every culture since the dawn of civilization has use psychotropic substances to help break through those barriers, to see beyond the confines of the matrix like programming most of us have been subjected to. Most human progress in thought and technology has come from those brave few who have gone beyond the mental prison of social conditioning. But the brain itself remains an organ, a machine that has progressed very little, if at all.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
The brain has infinite capacity; it is really infinite. That capacity is now used technologically. That capacity has been used for the gathering of information. That capacity has been used to store knowledge—scientific, political, social and religious. The brain has been occupied with this. And it is precisely this function (this technological capacity) that the machine is going to take over. When this take-over by the machine happens, the brain—its capacity—is going to wither, just as my arms will if I do not use them all the time. The question is: If the brain is not active, if it is not working, if it is not thinking, what is going to happen to it?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The brain has infinite capacity; it is really infinite. That capacity is now used technologically. That capacity has been used for the gathering of information. That capacity has been used to store knowledge—scientific, political, social and religious. The brain has been occupied with this. And it is precisely this function (this technological capacity) that the machine is going to take over. When this take-over by the machine happens, the brain—its capacity—is going to wither, just as my arms will if I do not use them all the time. The question is: If the brain is not active, if it is not working, if it is not thinking, what is going to happen to it?
Silly putty?

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Scientists are now inventing the “ultimate intelligent machine”, a computer which will beat man in every way. If the machine can outstrip man, then what is man? What are you? What is the future of man? If the machine can take over all the operations that thought does now, and do it far swifter, if it can learn much more quickly, if it can compete and, in fact, do everything that man can then what is going to happen to the mind, to the brain of man? Our brains have lived so far by struggling to survive through knowledge, and when the machine takes all that over, what is going to happen? There are only two possibilities: either man will commit himself totally to entertainment—football, sports, every form of demonstration, going to the temple, and playing with all that stuff—or he will turn inward.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Scientists are now inventing the “ultimate intelligent machine”, a computer which will beat man in every way.
They'll be trying that for a long time to come.
If the machine can outstrip man, then what is man?
Then we get robot peelers.
What are you?
I am definitely not a man.
What is the future of man?
To live. Same for women, too, BTW.
If the machine can take over all the operations that thought does now, and do it far swifter, if it can learn much more quickly, if it can compete and, in fact, do everything that man can then what is going to happen to the mind, to the brain of man?
It'll find something to do.
Our brains have lived so far by struggling to survive through knowledge, and when the machine takes all that over, what is going to happen?
People will still want to satisfy their curiosity about stuff.
There are only two possibilities: either man will commit himself totally to entertainment—football, sports, every form of demonstration, going to the temple, and playing with all that stuff—or he will turn inward.
So?

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Quote: There are only two possibilities: either man will commit himself totally to entertainment—football, sports, every form of demonstration, going to the temple, and playing with all that stuff—or he will turn inward.
So?

SO
???----hey lady ,"you are definitely not a man", or did you forget .

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

It will find something else to do, the curiosity of the brain will never stop, and
there will always be new adventures, maybe it will have to invent a way to
conquer the technology it has developed, and defeat the machines, before
they defeat him.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

SO
???----hey lady ,"you are definitely not a man", or did you forget .
That's why I said "so?". We can also speculate upon our innards or you men can continue to entertain us. Life is as usual. lol

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It will find something else to do, the curiosity of the brain will never stop, and
there will always be new adventures, maybe it will have to invent a way to
conquer the technology it has developed, and defeat the machines, before
they defeat him.
Meanwhile, you, me, and other girls can sit back and spectate. :D

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Meanwhile, you, me, and other girls can sit back and spectate. :D

You mean while they all get 'sucked' into their 'most intelligent' machines, and
chewed up like cereal, and end up in the compost, guess we'll have to save a
few, or by then maybe we won't need any of them, oops better not go there,
don't want to hurt their feelings, we 'wuv' ya, weally we do. ;-)