One ceases to learn the moment one argues with life.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
The act of listening is the act of learning.
One has to learn so much about life, for life is a movement in relationship. And that relationship is action. We have to learn—not accumulate knowledge from this movement that we call life and then live according to that knowledge, which is conformity. To conform is to adjust, to fit into a mould, to adjust oneself to the various impressions, demands, pressures of a particular society. Life is meant to be lived, to be understood. One has to learn about life, and one ceases to learn the moment one argues with life, comes to life with the past, with one’s conditioning as knowledge.
So there is a difference between acquiring knowledge and the act of learning. You must have knowledge; otherwise you will not know where you live, you will forget your name, and so on. So at one level knowledge is imperative, but when that knowledge is used to understand life—which is a movement, which is a thing that is living, moving, dynamic, every moment changing—when you cannot move with life, then you are living in the past and trying to comprehend the extraordinary thing called life. And to understand life, you have to learn every minute about it and never come to it having learned.
Your point of view , let's talk.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
huh?
.........We have to learn—not accumulate knowledge.......
If we don't accumulate knowledge what do we learn? Nothing.
Understanding is not built on ignorance. Whether the knowledge is about life or just tying shoelaces.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
If we don't accumulate knowledge what do we learn? Nothing.
Understanding is not built on ignorance. Whether the knowledge is about life or just tying shoelaces.
Yes Anna G ,we need knowledge in things like Medicine ,science ,learning another language learning to fly an airplane -but for any thing else?
What about knowledge about life ?do you study first and then live or do you live and learn.Life changes from moment to moment ,what you have learned today will be different tomorrow .Everything changes from moment to moment and that includes sciences ,medicine and so on..Accumulating knowledge and hoping to find some security and permanency in that knowledge is a wishful thinking.Do you need a tying shoe laces knowledge to tie a shoe AnnG? Like do you use a slide ruler or a calculator every time you tie your shoe laces? I think that a minimal amount of intelligence is required to perform this task which after a short while becomes just another habit .
Learning from moment becomes a way of living and the time you stop learning is when you are dead.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
and then live according to that knowledge, which is conformity. To conform is to adjust, to fit into a mould, to adjust oneself to the various impressions, demands, pressures of a particular society.

This sounds like joining the Borg Collective to me. If by conform you mean adhere to the laws of society, that is one thing but to conform as in become like all the other automatons running around like crazed ants, then I think I will pass.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Quoting china and then live according to that knowledge, which is conformity. To conform is to adjust, to fit into a mould, to adjust oneself to the various impressions, demands, pressures of a particular society.
I DID NOT WRITE THAT(don't do it again)......but it shows how you think and operate .A typical looser .

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Quoting china and then live according to that knowledge, which is conformity. To conform is to adjust, to fit into a mould, to adjust oneself to the various impressions, demands, pressures of a particular society.

You have written the above an attached my name to it .I am asking don't do it again.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
You have written the above an attached my name to it .I am asking don't do it again.
It is a direct quote from your original post, sentences 3 and 4. You attached your name to it. Or don't you read your own posts?

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
It is a direct quote from your original post, sentences 3 and 4. You attached your name to it. Or don't you read your own posts?
I apologize Cliffy .To much partying ,my brothers' in law birthday .
Are you hitting the sauce again tonight?
You were right.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yes Anna G ,we need knowledge in things like Medicine ,science ,learning another language learning to fly an airplane -but for any thing else?
Well, for one thing if guys had no idea what to do with their pickle besides peeing with them, humans wouldn't be a dominant species on the planet. If no-one knew how to read or otherwise communicate their thoughts and emotions to others .... If you continually had to learn that hot stoves are not a good thing to put your hand on, you'd eventually be missing a hand. If you did not acquire knowledge about what routes are good to get to work with, you'd be continually wasting time and gas going roundabout ways.
What about knowledge about life?
What about it?
do you study first and then live or do you live and learn.
:roll: Yeah, people are born with a life's worth of knowledge.
Life changes from moment to moment ,what you have learned today will be different tomorrow.
Some things. I discovered a leak in the carport roof today. It'll be the same leak tomorrow.
Everything changes from moment to moment and that includes sciences ,medicine and so on.
Pi. Avogadro's number. C. The symbols for the elements. There are myriads of things that don't change.
Accumulating knowledge and hoping to find some security and permanency in that knowledge is a wishful thinking.Do you need a tying shoe laces knowledge to tie a shoe AnnG? Like do you use a slide ruler or a calculator every time you tie your shoe laces?
Yes to the first question. You've acquired the knowledge of how to tie shoes. Do you think that once you have the knowledge you only need it once? lmao
The second question is just silly. There's a lot of knowledge that does not require tools to calculate with. I think that a minimal amount of intelligence is required to perform this task which after a short while becomes just another habit .[/quote]Sure it is habit. But if you did not retain the knowledge, you would not have the habit. Have you ever heard of Alzheimer's disease? People lose knowledge. A friend of Les's family was a baker. She lost her knowledge after years and years of baking that was mostly habit to her. She can't bake a cookie now because the knowledge is gone. Actually she can't even use an oven anymore.
Learning from moment becomes a way of living and the time you stop learning is when you are dead.
So? We learn stuff. What knowledge we don't use, we forget. We still retain knowledge that is important to us and knowledge is important for continuing to learn.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Quote:
Life changes from moment to moment ,what you have learned today will be different tomorrow.
AnnaG

Some things. I discovered a leak in the carport roof today. It'll be the same leak tomorrow.