Can we learn from experience?

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Obviously not. Learning implies freedom, curiosity, inquiry. When a child learns something, he is curious about it, he wants to know, it is a free momentum, not a momentum of having acquired and of moving from that acquisition. We have innumerable experiences; we have had five thousand years of wars.
We have not learnt a thing from them except to invent more deadly machinery with which to kill each other. We have had many experiences with our friends, with our wives, with our husbands, with our nation—we have not learnt. Learning, in fact, can only take place when there is freedom from experience .
Your point of view................

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Obviously not. Learning implies freedom, curiosity, inquiry. When a child learns something, he is curious about it, he wants to know, it is a free momentum, not a momentum of having acquired and of moving from that acquisition. We have innumerable experiences; we have had five thousand years of wars.
We have not learnt a thing from them except to invent more deadly machinery with which to kill each other. We have had many experiences with our friends, with our wives, with our husbands, with our nation—we have not learnt. Learning, in fact, can only take place when there is freedom from experience .

Only stupid people don't learn from experience, average people learn from their own experience, intelligent people learn from others' experience.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
JLM

Only stupid people don't learn from experience, average people learn from their own experience, intelligent people learn from others' experience.
So what you are saying is that the stupid ones don,t have to learn they already know -and they're the ones who pass it to the intelligent ones who in reality are the stupid ones 'cause they don't have their own experience ?I wonder what the average ones do with their experience according to your intelligent observation .

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
JLM

So what you are saying is that the stupid ones don,t have to learn they already know -and they're the ones who pass it to the intelligent ones who in reality are the stupid ones 'cause they don't have their own experience ?I wonder what the average ones do with their experience according to your definition .

You have invented the most complicated way of scratching your nose and ended up scratching your eye.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
You have invented the most complicated way of scratching your nose and ended up scratching your eye.
Now that's intellectualizing Niflmir.Hahaha
Is that a free translation from German?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM

So what you are saying is that the stupid ones don,t have to learn they already know -and they're the ones who pass it to the intelligent ones who in reality are the stupid ones 'cause they don't have their own experience ?I wonder what the average ones do with their experience according to your intelligent observation .

NO- That's is not what I said at all.

Reactions: Said1

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
JLM

NO- That's is not what I said at all.
Most intelligent people understood what you meant....;-):lol:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The only true way for an individual to learn is from experience, but humanity as a whole has learned nothing much as we keep on making the same mistakes. So yes, there can be intelligent individuals but humanity is as dumb as a post.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

So.....obviously the majority of mankind is stupid.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
So you can't learn from experience? You've burnt your hand on a hot stove many times have you? Sliced yourself many times with something sharp because you don't know better than to do that? Do you walk out into traffic a lot?
lmao

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So.....obviously the majority of mankind is stupid.

I wouldn't jump to say that exactly, BUT I do think the majority of those in control are stupid, the smart ones probably don't want to get involved unless they are sure they have a handle on things.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So you can't learn from experience? You've burnt your hand on a hot stove many times have you? Sliced yourself many times with something sharp because you don't know better than to do that? Do you walk out into traffic a lot?
lmao

Then there's the other issue of not being like the cat who suffers from the hot stove syndrome.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
L Gilbert

I also have had my first experience in breathing and have bin doing it ever since.
Gee your simple LG.
Im

Last edited: