Joy... vs. Carnal Pleasures

bluedog

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2009
Nebraska
Man cannot live without joy; therefore when he is deprived of true spiritual joys it is necessary that he become addicted to carnal pleasures.
Saint Thomas Aquinas

I am sure that many people here would post they are one in the same. Are they?
If not, what are the differences to you??

Open post! Have a great week!:fish:

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Carnal pleasures eh?
Its all fun but when it is a shallow situation I'll pass.
I want something meaningful, more like need. Even if it means long treks between oasis

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I don't think joy and pleasure are the same thing but one can include the other. I would even say that when love is involved, carnal pleasure can be a truly spiritual awakening. Many religious people equate carnal pleasure with sin, almost anti religion. Sex is supposed to be for procreation. That is why they oppose gay marriage. But that to me is a sick view of the sexually oppressed. It also seems to be endemic of North American christianity. It doesn't seem to influence Europeans the same way as they tend to be more comfortable with their sexuality.

bluedog

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2009
Nebraska
I don't think joy and pleasure are the same thing but one can include the other. I would even say that when love is involved, carnal pleasure can be a truly spiritual awakening. Many religious people equate carnal pleasure with sin, almost anti religion. Sex is supposed to be for procreation. That is why they oppose gay marriage. But that to me is a sick view of the sexually oppressed. It also seems to be endemic of North American christianity. It doesn't seem to influence Europeans the same way as they tend to be more comfortable with their sexuality.

Cliffy, are you married? Ever been? Have children? Still looking to flesh out where you come from. You Fag? Bi? Would you share if you were?
Lots of Fag philosophers for centuries. You would not be the first but surely it would disappoint you no doubt! lol !!!

No Cliffy, Joy comes from the Spirit, the Heart if you will. Joy starts in the heart but soon reverberates to your soul. Lust comes from whatever you need to seek out to fulfil your physical "completion", be it alone or with a faceless nameless other.

God gave man woman to complete him, so that he no longer had to lust to rid himself of the need to be physically "completed". Woman too, is completed by the "union" of marriage, not the pinball effect of the weekend nights, scoring and bouncing from target to target, lighting the scoreboard and praying to be the grand winner!

Sex is not only designed for reproduction and "completion", sanctioned by God. It is the heartfelt joy that comes from sharing with a lifelong commited partner, from the touching, from the caring, from the mutual desire to always commit to one another, to count on one another, to be grounded in each other. No, sex is not just the result of the sanctified union, it is the total emotional and spritual completion of man/woman- it pleases God, that alone can create and magnify the smallest of joys!

I pray you look for it, and you find it:fish:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
bluedog,

Been married, had a kid, not gay or bi but allow others to be who they are without judgment. God is a personal experience, whether it exists or not. Religion is a group experience whether real or not. Joy is an experience of the heart, emotions are an experience of the mind. Pleasure can be a total immersion of mind, body, spirit, although for some it can be just of the senses. Who are we to decide what is right or wrong for anybody but ourselves?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
WOOT! Making love with hubby or girlfriend! WOOT!
WOOT! Sharing a laugh with my kids WOOT!
I love it all. Who cares what it's called? Um, besides wordsmiths, of course, oh, and pedantic people. :D