The seven Deadly sins - according to the Christian religion - are as follows"

1. Pride
2. Envy
3. Anger
4. Averice
5. Sadness
6. Gluttony
7. Lust

Which is - in your opinion - is the worst? If you are not a believer, does it matter? If you are not a Christian, is this all frivolous? Are moral values different from religion to religion?

Which one of these "deadly sins" defines political Left or Right best, in your opinion and why?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I thought these were the seven deadly sins: "Lust", "Gluttony", "Greed", "Sloth", "Wrath", "Envy", and "Pride". When I saw Greed was not in your list, I checked it out because in politics this is a biggy. Pride would be another. Left or right makes no difference, they are all in it for their own glory and to line their pockets.

Even those who profess no religious beliefs, even atheists, have a moral code as to what is acceptable behaviour, a strong sense of right and wrong. Only a sociopath wouldn't.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
None of these "sins" are particularly bad, I doubt you could find a person who doesn't exhibit those behaviors at one point or another.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Cliffy, I must confess that I am not a religious nut (in spite whatever the non-religious nut, SirJosephPorter may claim) I got the Seven Deadly Sins from Wikipedia, not from - Heaven forbid - the Bible.

Further research proved that you are right.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I don't see how pride can be a sin. At least not pride in your achievements or the quality of your workmanship. Most of the rest are not really sins either, character flaws perhaps but not sins. Deliberately causing harm to another person and theft I would consider sins. WHich makes governments sin bins because all they do is steal our money.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
1. Pride
2. Envy
3. Anger
4. Averice
5. Sadness
6. Gluttony
7. Lust

Seriously? 8O

How could any of us get through life we didn't experience any of those? They're all part of the human experience.

We only need one rule to avoid the deadly sin trap: "Minimize Excess". That leaves wiggle room for a few binges, but reminds us to try and find our way back to a healthier middle ground. :cool:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The seven Deadly sins - according to the Christian religion - are as follows"

1. Pride
2. Envy
3. Anger
4. Averice
5. Sadness
6. Gluttony
7. Lust

Which is - in your opinion - is the worst? If you are not a believer, does it matter? If you are not a Christian, is this all frivolous? Are moral values different from religion to religion?

Which one of these "deadly sins" defines political Left or Right best, in your opinion and why?

They are all one called ignorance.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
1. Pride Got it
2. Envy Need it
3. Anger Got it
4. Averice Need it
5. Sadness Need it
6. Gluttony Got it
7. Lust Got it.

I'll trade a lust and a pride for avarice! Anyone?