Can you love without thinking??/

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Is it possible to love without thinking? What do you mean by thinking? Thinking is a response to memories of pain or pleasure. There is no thinking without the residue which incomplete experience leaves. Love is different from emotion and feeling. Love cannot be brought into the field of thought; whereas feeling and emotion can be brought. Love is a flame without smoke, always fresh, creative, joyous. Such love is dangerous to society, to relationship. So, thought steps in, modifies, guides it, legalizes it, puts it out of danger; then one can live with it. Do you not know that when you love someone, you love the whole of mankind? Do you not know how dangerous it is to love man? Then, there is no barrier, no nationality; then, there is no craving for power and position, and things assume their values. Such a man is a danger to society.For the being of love, the process of memory must come to an end. Memory comes into being only when experience is not fully, completely understood. Memory is only the residue of experience; it is the result of a challenge which is not fully comprehended. Life is a process of challenge and response. Challenge is always new but the response is always old. This response, which is conditioning, which is the result of the past, must be understood and not disciplined or condemned away. It means living each day anew, fully and completely. This complete living is possible only when there is love, when your heart is full, not with the words nor with the things made by the mind. Only where there is love, memory ceases; then every movement is new.

Last edited:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Can love survive in a mindless consumer society? Can it function?
As I stated before, love is a decision. In other words whether it's a marriage or a parent or a sibling, you decide to "make it work" or you walk away. Love can survive anything if you make the decision to make it work. It's just so easy to walk away instead.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
As I stated before, love is a decision. In other words whether it's a marriage or a parent or a sibling, you decide to "make it work" or you walk away. Love can survive anything if you make the decision to make it work. It's just so easy to walk away instead.

Your definition is slightly different than china's or mine. To me Love is a state of being, a state of grace, of being connected to the source of all there is. To be in that state, there is no competition, no desire, no jealousy or insecurity. It is difficult to be in that state and function in a society that is all that and more.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
"Thinking is a response to memories of pain or pleasure" lmao
Thinking is a response to stimuli. There are more stimuli than just pain and pleasure.
Love is simply another emotion that people experience. One can think about love, obviously, otherwise you wouldn't have posted what you think love is and that one can't think about love.
jeeeeeeeeez

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What most people call love is more like a hormonal response at the beginning and turns into co-dependence over time. As long as jealousy, insecurity and anger (which is always based on fear) are present you have co-dependence. It is a rare couple that get beyond some state of possessiveness. Over time some may reach a true state of love, but I have seen that mostly in the elderly.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Your definition is slightly different than china's or mine. To me Love is a state of being, a state of grace, of being connected to the source of all there is. To be in that state, there is no competition, no desire, no jealousy or insecurity. It is difficult to be in that state and function in a society that is all that and more.
I actually don't believe it is difficult to be in the state you describe. I believe it's impossible. That is why I still maintain that love is a decision. My husband, for example, has a sister that is one of the somewhat impossible people of this world. She lives in a different province so it wouldn't be hard for him to just turn his back on her and walk away. His decision is that she is his sister, he loves her and he wants her to remain a part of his life. I respect that decision. Him and I have been married for 42 years and anyone would know that I was lying if I said we had never had any fights in that time. We have however, always made the decision to stay together. Our kids moved out about 17 years ago so we are not doing it "for the kids". We stay because even after 42 years of marriage and one year of dating, we still love each other. The decision is that -over the long term - would I be happier without him or would he be happier without me. We know we are better together.:lol:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
If an adult is looking for love they are most likely to find it 90% of the time only if they have a fat wallet. 90% of love has begun from financial motivation. You have no money you have fewer or no friends.
If you talk about love in its purity, money must stay out of the equation, because money is a cancer.

But there are pure examples of love in humanity not powered by Money.

The question you ask your self is, whether your present love relationship is hinged on financial motives.

If it is, then you get busy and start looking for love that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.
If that is the case forget about it, it is a phony and useless mind game.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If an adult is looking for love they are most likely to find it 90% of the time only if they have a fat wallet. 90% of love has begun from financial motivation. You have no money you have fewer or no friends.
If you talk about love in its purity, money must stay out of the equation, because money is a cancer.

But there are pure examples of love in humanity not powered by Money.

The question you ask your self is, whether your present love relationship is hinged on financial motives.

If it is, then you get busy and start looking for love that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.
If that is the case forget about it, it is a phony and useless mind game.

And I thought I was jaded! Although I agree that money is a factor in some relationships, there is more going on than just economics. What you describe is a legal form of prostitution, which, I must admit, happens too often.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I have been married for 50 years, and throughout that time, I have thought at one
time or another, what it would be like to 'end' the partnership, BUT, the horrible
feeling that I would have because of those thoughts, made it impossible to ever
seriously think of doing it. There is so much 'good' in our life, and the nurturing of
the relationship makes it stronger and stronger, and the thought of 'hurting' any
of that, and the sadness of the other person, if such a thing happened, only proves
to me, that it is 'love' which strengthens and bonds over time, and makes it
impossible to end it.
It is 'being there', 'it is supporting', 'it is helping', caring for,etc., and not much 'thinking' goes
into any of that, it is wanting to do it, continually, that is love, and knowing that
the partner feels the same.
Not much to do with money, either having it, or not.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Hey Talloola good day to you,
you are a MERITAL RARITY now days, especially when you look at the divorce rate is huge, particularly going and coming out of a huge recession, then one can test the metal of love putting up as they say during thick and thin.

90 present of love is about how stable a person is, how stable a family is evolving around one another.

Stability starts from food on the table and the roof over the family’s heads; these two are the most fundamental necessities in maintaining a life with dignity, which to day are at an all time low, so low, to the line of the ground so low, for this reasons puissance and the theory of love start to fade in the economic picture.

If there is no money there is no love in the majority of human thinking.
In today’s international and interracial world of love, one witnesses the fact that many people from many Asian countries have a warm approach to materialize and they would for example choose to have a boy fried at the age of 50 - 60 - 70 when in fact the girl is 20, purely for financial reason, this relationship exists.

This is not a rare occurrence, all one has to do is go into a night club and look around, you will see a multiple level meaning that the majority of couples are huge years apart and it is not for spiritual reasons. Love starts with in the perimeters of security and stability.
The gold diggers of Asia and many other parts of the world have infiltrated into the pool of thirsty western puppies for lusty juices at a huge cost per month to maintain a life style that serves the male ego. While many are committing adultery because the peace sign and a happy smile is worth 1000 words and $1000 to start.

Nothing wrong with people meeting other people, but the motive behind all relationships, is about what have you done for me lately..
Money makes love…………………………………………………………

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hey Talloola good day to you,
you are a MERITAL RARITY now days, especially when you look at the divorce rate is huge, particularly going and coming out of a huge recession, then one can test the metal of love putting up as they say during thick and thin.

90 present of love is about how stable a person is, how stable a family is evolving around one another.

Stability starts from food on the table and the roof over the family’s heads; these two are the most fundamental necessities in maintaining a life with dignity, which to day are at an all time low, so low, to the line of the ground so low, for this reasons puissance and the theory of love start to fade in the economic picture.

If there is no money there is no love in the majority of human thinking.
In today’s international and interracial world of love, one witnesses the fact that many people from many Asian countries have a warm approach to materialize and they would for example choose to have a boy fried at the age of 50 - 60 - 70 when in fact the girl is 20, purely for financial reason, this relationship exists.

This is not a rare occurrence, all one has to do is go into a night club and look around, you will see a multiple level meaning that the majority of couples are huge years apart and it is not for spiritual reasons. Love starts with in the perimeters of security and stability.
The gold diggers of Asia and many other parts of the world have infiltrated into the pool of thirsty western puppies for lusty juices at a huge cost per month to maintain a life style that serves the male ego. While many are committing adultery because the peace sign and a happy smile is worth 1000 words and $1000 to start.

Nothing wrong with people meeting other people, but the motive behind all relationships, is about what have you done for me lately..
Money makes love…………………………………………………………

that is a sad conclusion, and may be true, but it isn't in my world, and
never will be.
my world is one of simplicity and thoughtfullness of one another, and we
have struggled through lean times, and have never been rich, at least in
the financial area.
I see the same character in our daughters, and it is something to treasure,
and nurture, and probably something that is getting left behind in this
day and age.
I don't want any part of chasing the money, at the end of it all, money
doesn't know anything about love, it is needed to eat and house us, but
too much of it, isn't necessary, and binds us to the material side of life,
and those are just 'things'.
I do understand that, many years ago, women had to look for security, as
they were so 'held back' in society, they needed someone who could provide
security, but they paid a big price for that, as they were nothing more than
house workers, with no power, in many cases, not now.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
that is a sad conclusion, and may be true, but it isn't in my world, and
never will be.
my world is one of simplicity and thoughtfullness of one another, and we
have struggled through lean times, and have never been rich, at least in
the financial area.
I see the same character in our daughters, and it is something to treasure,
and nurture, and probably something that is getting left behind in this
day and age.
I don't want any part of chasing the money, at the end of it all, money
doesn't know anything about love, it is needed to eat and house us, but
too much of it, isn't necessary, and binds us to the material side of life,
and those are just 'things'.
I do understand that, many years ago, women had to look for security, as
they were so 'held back' in society, they needed someone who could provide
security, but they paid a big price for that, as they were nothing more than
house workers, with no power, in many cases, not now.

talloola, sincerely that is magical when a family feels the same way as you do, but is your case in the majority of a stable families? You are under the rare list of people committed to the vows "for better and for worst" and that is,
True Love, something many hope for but never get.................