Can the mind be quiet?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Because there is constant electrical activity in the brain.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Because it controls most of the organs and vital functions of the body that are involuntary..

That said some people do have the ability to quiet that part of thier brain to the point of almost total control but it requires total concentration.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Interesting.....I feel not enough people are thinking these days but merely reacting to externally provided stimuli which leaves me to ask the question; "Are advertisments an invasion of privacy and stealing personal thought time and space? Are they a distraction that clogs the mind creating a form of stress new to mankind? What would it like to live in a world without billboards, signs and even litter on the street that constantly pester and influence the mind?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Interesting.....I feel not enough people are thinking these days but merely reacting to externally provided stimuli which leaves me to ask the question; "Are advertisments an invasion of privacy and stealing personal thought time and space? Are they a distraction that clogs the mind creating a form of stress new to mankind? What would it like to live in a world without billboards, signs and even litter on the street that constantly pester and influence the mind?
What if the mind is so filled with so many questions and thoughts that it does not notice the distractions like billboards, signs and litter. What if your mind is so engrossed it cannot hear someone speaking even though they are sitting beside you? How is it that men in particular can be that way? How is it that I can speak to my husband, and in knowing that he does not hear me speaking, quit in mid sentence (on purpose) and leave the room without him ever knowing I was speaking! I have mentioned this to many women who say that exactly the same thing happens to them with their husband or even just a friend. I can be involved with my computer and always hear my husband no matter how trivial his words may be but I do not hear the television playing in the room. I blank it out completely. Usually, his question is about whatever it is that he is watching and he is surprized that I am not concentrating on the TV at all.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The mind needs to be active and busy, and in my opinion becomes restless
when not in use.

I know my mind is never at rest,(but not restless,) and I enjoy that, as there will be time
in the future when my mind will rest forever, so let it play, let it be alive,
let it plan, and buzz around letting me know that I am alive and well.
Certainly the mind can be quiet, and calm, but still awake and functioning.

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
If we start defining quiet or restless then it becomes an idea that one has to pursue. Dose it not. But if we explore the nature of restlessness and noise in the mind then we will come to that quiet mind. So why is the mind restless?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What if the mind is so filled with so many questions and thoughts that it does not notice the distractions like billboards, signs and litter. What if your mind is so engrossed it cannot hear someone speaking even though they are sitting beside you? How is it that men in particular can be that way? How is it that I can speak to my husband, and in knowing that he does not hear me speaking, quit in mid sentence (on purpose) and leave the room without him ever knowing I was speaking! I have mentioned this to many women who say that exactly the same thing happens to them with their husband or even just a friend. I can be involved with my computer and always hear my husband no matter how trivial his words may be but I do not hear the television playing in the room. I blank it out completely. Usually, his question is about whatever it is that he is watching and he is surprized that I am not concentrating on the TV at all.

One: you said your husband is almost deaf
Two: men cannot multi-task

TV sucks my brains out. It is mesmerizing. I think most men are like that. Women are more likely to get up in the middle of a program and do the laundry. A man will sit glued to the idiot box and not have a thought in his head.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
What if your mind is so engrossed it cannot hear someone speaking even though they are sitting beside you? How is it that men in particular can be that way?

It's a secret, it has to do with survival, it's called selective hearing :lol:. But seriously, In a few of the mandatory "training" classes I've had to take annually the question was asked, "how many tasks can the mind concentrate on at any given time?" The answers from the class ranged from 3 to 8, when the correct answer is one. Numerous studies have shown this to be true. If you think why so many jurisdictions want to ban the use of hand held devices while driving, this is the reason. We think we are "multi tasking" like a computer running several programs at once, when in fact we are rapidly switching tasks concentrating on only one at a time while motor muscle memory is taking care of the others. I've seen many examples where someone is fixated on serious tasks while being warned of, (and ignoring) the impending doom if they do not concentrate on an even more pressing matter and take immediate action, sometimes right up to the point of impact.

The mind is a fascinating thing, observing thought processes of various people is also fascinating. Working in a primarily male dominated field I still have had many opportunities to observe women perform the same duties. Men and women have markedly different thought processes that acheive the same goal, neither is right or wrong per se, (although there are wrong one on both sides) but different. Your husband might not be ignoring you, (or maybe he is ;-)) but is doing what we all do, concentrating on only one thing. How many times have we driven somewhere, (sober) only to realise we have no memory of the trip or how we got there?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
TV sucks my brains out. It is mesmerizing. I think most men are like that. Women are more likely to get up in the middle of a program and do the laundry. A man will sit glued to the idiot box and not have a thought in his head.

My little story takes place at a tropical villa

I fell in love with a flavour, yes it was vanilla

Mini.......wheats wheats wheats I wanted vanilla for so long

Mini wheats wheats wheats its high in fiber you can't go wrong

Vanilla flavour mixed with wheat put it together it cant be beat

Vanilla flavour mixed with wheat tastes so good, what a treat.

New vanilla mini wheats cereal

tastes so good good good​

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It's a secret, it has to do with survival, it's called selective hearing :lol:. But seriously, In a few of the mandatory "training" classes I've had to take annually the question was asked, "how many tasks can the mind concentrate on at any given time?" The answers from the class ranged from 3 to 8, when the correct answer is one. Numerous studies have shown this to be true. If you think why so many jurisdictions want to ban the use of hand held devices while driving, this is the reason. We think we are "multi tasking" like a computer running several programs at once, when in fact we are rapidly switching tasks concentrating on only one at a time while motor muscle memory is taking care of the others. I've seen many examples where someone is fixated on serious tasks while being warned of, (and ignoring) the impending doom if they do not concentrate on an even more pressing matter and take immediate action, sometimes right up to the point of impact.

The mind is a fascinating thing, observing thought processes of various people is also fascinating. Working in a primarily male dominated field I still have had many opportunities to observe women perform the same duties. Men and women have markedly different thought processes that acheive the same goal, neither is right or wrong per se, (although there are wrong one on both sides) but different. Your husband might not be ignoring you, (or maybe he is ;-)) but is doing what we all do, concentrating on only one thing. How many times have we driven somewhere, (sober) only to realise we have no memory of the trip or how we got there?
I too have brought up your last line - how did we get there - especially on the drive home from work! I don't actually think my husband is ignoring me but I have never quite understood how he (and our sons)can become so engrossed in a TV show that they do not hear someone. I wonder if the same would be true if a person called out in distress from another room.
Cliff: my husband is hard of hearing and should wear the hearing aids he has been provided with but short of plugging them into his ears myself - it's never going to happen until he's so deaf he cannot hear anything. However, at this time, he can still hear me speaking from 1 - 10 feet away. As for women hopping up to do things like laundry in the middle of a TV show, you are quite right. That's what dryers have buzzers for and women hear the buzzer!Maybe some lack of people hearing me is that I am soft spoken as are both of our sons. My husband is not. He's not over loud but he would not be classified as soft spoken. While I feel like I am yelling into the store speaker, the people I am calling usually do not hear me. I've had other women workers walk over and take my phone and make the same call on my behalf so that I get a response. Guess I'll have to learn to speak up! ;-)