knowing yourself

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
What is important is not controlling thought, but understanding it, understanding the origin, the beginning of thought, which is in yourself.
Your point of view__________

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Your Self or your self? Or... the real you or the ego you? Intuition or thought? We're are like diamonds after all - multi-faceted.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
This an interesting topic, I tried a couple of times to post an opinion, didn't like
either one, so I will look for other opinions, hope there are some.

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
I feel that in order to truly become ourselves we have to overcome the belief system of the other, or accept them as our own also. If we are uneasy about the way our life is going we have to look at those systems and figure out what it is about them that we are uneasy with and deal with those issues that are causing us to faulter or feel off.

We all have a path that leads to the same place, the hills may be in different points of the road, and some longer than others but we all end at the same place. I also don't feel that we were meant to walk it alone, but self-reflection demands solitude. IMO.

I relooked at the question and this is a bit off but this is what I 'thought' at the time after reading the question the first time so I'll leave it.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
You have to accept yourself for who you are..

Hence the saying you must love yourself before you can love others..

Only when you have faced death do you really realize this.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
What is important is not controlling thought, but understanding it, understanding the origin, the beginning of thought, which is in yourself.

To understand requires thought therefore to understand the first thought would require subsequent thought i.e., the thought to understand the thought.

To understand the origin of thought would require the origin to see itself and therefore would need to generate two thoughts: the first and the one to see it.

This would require two conditions: that the self be of itself and in itself.

Sartre covers all this in Being and Nothingness.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The observer and the observed are one. We all have a dispassionate observer that comments to us on what we are doing if we pay attention to it. I remember distinctly doing something really stupid that hurt a lot, screaming very loudly while inside a quiet and calm voice saying, "now that wasn't very well thought out, now was it?" (and many other incidences that I was aware of it).

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
You have to accept yourself for who you are..

Hence the saying you must love yourself before you can love others..

Only when you have faced death do you really realize this.

I can tell ya thats BS. (IMO)

I've faced death a few times and all that does is confuse the issue of who I am.

Maybe that is just me though.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Introspection... indeed, it is the most powerful tool with which we will come to know ourselves. I tend to find that it's much like trying to hold a boiled egg though... too hard and you crush it or it slips out the side. Just the right amount of attention paid though, and you can hold it in your hand. Studying self is much the same. Too intent a focus and the behaviour changes. Through relaxed observation though, you can learn a lot about yourself.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
The observer and the observed are one. We all have a dispassionate observer that comments to us on what we are doing if we pay attention to it. I remember distinctly doing something really stupid that hurt a lot, screaming very loudly while inside a quiet and calm voice saying, "now that wasn't very well thought out, now was it?" (and many other incidences that I was aware of it).

I agree. I think the fact that we have two brains (hemispheres) is very important to how our cogito works.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Scott Freee ,

To understand requires thought therefore to understand the first thought would require subsequent thought i.e., the thought to understand the thought

Just wondering:are you the maker of your thought or is the thought your maker ,who came first ?

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

The observer and the observed are one.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Very true ,the observer observes what he projects .eg. a botanist and a layman ,observing the same oak will have a different images of that oak tree.What I mean is [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]to observe 'what is', the mind must be free of the past knowledge , of all comparison of the ideal, of the opposite. Then you will see that what actually 'is', which is far more important than what 'should be. I also come upon times when there is no observer or the observed ; there is nothing ,only a process of obserervation ; and that's meditation .
[/FONT]

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Right or Left Handed

No hands required.

China,

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What I mean is [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]to observe 'what is', the mind must be free of the past knowledge[/FONT]

If one truly sees the tree for what it is without prior knowledge or social conditioning, one sees the energy patterns that make up the tree and all the links to everything else around it including the observer.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
If one truly sees the tree for what it is without prior knowledge or social conditioning, one sees the energy patterns that make up the tree and all the links to everything else around it including the observer.

Whatever ,Cliffy .