What is duality ?

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
I there duality apart from the Man-woman ,dark-light ,short trees tall trees different colors and so on .
Is there duality psychologically : what is duality ?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
A duality? Well, yes and no!
PS
In the English language, there is no adjective without an antonym except.... Arrgh, the horror! Hel....

Diarygirl

Electoral Member
Oct 28, 2008
Newfoundland
That's deep philosophy China...there's so many types of duality...the first thing that came to my mind was ...good and evil.
Take care....
DG :)

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
OK I have been caught by your "traps" before..

What is your description of duality China ?

I have a list that could fill this Forum if I put my mind to it and time and yet still not answer the question you want..

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As long as there is the thinker and the thought, there must be duality. As long as there is a seeker who is seeking, there must be duality. As long as there is an experiencer and the thing to be experienced, there must be duality. So duality exists when there is the observer and the observed. That is, as long as there is a centre, the censor, the observer, the thinker, the seeker, the experiencer as the centre, there must be the duality, the opposite.
[/FONT]

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Duality is a human construct: a belief system. There is no separation in nature, just a constant flow of energy. Humanity is trapped in physical reality because of his concept of separation, which is a product of the ego. The ego is a product of a helpless baby who creates the ego to deal with what it feels is a hostile environment. Of course this ego is reinforced by all the other adult egos that surround it.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Out worldly - duality is the "opposite". Psychologically there is no duality ;there's only 'what is'.But we are not able to solve 'what is' ( we don't agree with 'what is' ) so we invent "what should be'.But there is only what is , I only know ' what is' is,not the 'what should be .' If I understood "what is " ,why should there be a duality ?

Diarygirl
.the first thing that came to my mind was ...good and evil.
Hi DG ,Psychologically the opposites contain them self ,obviously there is no evil in goodness and no goodness in evil .Good is Good and Evil is evil .

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
obviously there is no evil in goodness and no goodness in evil .Good is Good and Evil is evil .

Those are judgments based onsocially condition (taught) concepts. In different cultures good and evil are different. The duality is what keeps us from inner and outer peace. To accept what is brings harmony to your world and alleviates stress and anxiety. We have no control over what happens out there but we can over our reactions and responses to it.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Those are judgments based onsocially condition (taught) concepts.

Any judgment is a choice of many therefore not true .The truth is choice less .

We have no control over what happens out there but we can over our reactions and responses to it.

There is no need to control anything ( unless you are a schizo ) .Control implies a lack of understanding of whatever you want to control .A better way is to , observe it , love it , set it free......any thing .....just don,t try to control Cliffy.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Any judgment is a choice of many therefore not true .The truth is choice less .

There is no need to control anything ( unless you are a schizo ) .Control implies a lack of understanding of whatever you want to control .A better way is to , observe it , love it , set it free......any thing .....just don,t try to control Cliffy.

You are right. I should have said that we can choose how we respond to external stimuli.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Even as the holy and righteous cannot rise above the highest which is in each of you, so the wicked and the weak cannot fall any lower than the lowest which is also in each of you.

Which means there can only be evil if you allow evil and can only be good if you allow good.

Every tyrant in history only existed because people allowed them to exist which means all of us are tyrants and all of us are saints.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Even as the holy and righteous cannot rise above the highest which is in each of you, so the wicked and the weak cannot fall any lower than the lowest which is also in each of you.

Which means there can only be evil if you allow evil and can only be good if you allow good.

Every tyrant in history only existed because people allowed them to exist which means all of us are tyrants and all of us are saints.

We are all capable of being the full gamut of human possibilities: saints to sinners, but it is our choice to be. Karma teaches that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, so in order to be happy it is always better to choose to treat everyone with respect.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

The only way to stop a tyrant is to kill them. Doing so makes us the evil one and not doing anything makes us the coward or in other words - the one who has both stopped and carried out evil. Does it make us a good person if we have stopped the tyrant and then reverted back to a good person by not killing again? Does the woman who murders the husband who beats her (evil) and then goes to jail become the evil one because she murdered the tyrant. In her household he is the tyrant she cannot stop even if it's not a country a tyrant is in control of. She has to pay a price for protecting herself.