Why do we follow?

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Why do we accept, why do we follow? We follow another's authority, another's experience and then doubt it; this search for authority and its sequel, disillusionment, is a painful process for most of us. We blame or criticize the once accepted authority, the leader, the teacher, but we do not examine our own craving for an authority who can direct our conduct.When you will understand this craving , you will comprehend the significance of your doubt.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Why do we accept, why do we follow? We follow another's authority, another's experience and then doubt it; this search for authority and its sequel, disillusionment, is a painful process for most of us. We blame or criticize the once accepted authority, the leader, the teacher, but we do not examine our own craving for an authority who can direct our conduct.When you will understand this craving , you will comprehend the significance of your doubt.

Answer: Because of the wonderful things it does.

Hegel would describe this process of the Thesis inevitably spawning a rebel Anti-Thesis which then combines both truths to be a Synthesis- the New Thesis ---as the DIALECTIC.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Speak for yourself, Pilgrim. There are some of us who only accept the authority we have in ourselves as the ones guiding us to a better life. Crave authority from other sources? What an odd concept.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
L Gilbert1
Speak for yourself, Pilgrim.

Oh I love that ,Big Boy , that's exactly what I do .
There are some of us who only accept the authority we have in ourselves .... [/QUOTE

So you "only " accept the the authority that you have in ("our selves" )speak for your self ,Big Boy ;an authority of what ?......breathing , farting ; what kind of authority are you talking about ; your wife's authority over you ?....that's probably it .
..........as the ones guiding us to a better life.

An authority implies a control .It looks like you need to be controlled, to be"guided to a better life . Is that why you got married LG ?

Crave authority from within you ? What an odd concept.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
We follow because its perfectly natural. Ya know how people alwayz say "there are two types of people....." blah, blah, blah. Well, its absolutely true regarding leading and following. There are two types of people: leaders and followers.

I'm reading an awesome non-fiction book on leadership right now. Did ya know that leadership ability is only about 10% natural? The majority of one's ability to lead large groups of people comes from learning and honing certain social skills. And a very small of percent of leadership ability comes from an event. Something traumatic or life changing.

Something else neat about the natural 10% ability. Seems that would your difference between an excellent leader and a world class leader.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Just look at this morning. Hundreds of millions willing to follow Obama into the belly of the dragon. In Canada, we have those who would follow the leader of one political party or the other. Most religions require following the leader. People are like sheep. Most do not have a clue unless someone is there to take them by the hand and tells them what to do, where to go, how to do it and who's butt to kiss.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just look at this morning. Hundreds of millions willing to follow Obama into the belly of the dragon. In Canada, we have those who would follow the leader of one political party or the other. Most religions require following the leader. People are like sheep. Most do not have a clue unless someone is there to take them by the hand and tells them what to do, where to go, how to do it and who's butt to kiss.

I guess we all have our areas of expertise, Cliff and sometimes to follow just means not having to "reinvent the wheel" - but by the same token it's wise to check out credentials first- not just buy snake oil from the first vender who comes along.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
L Gilbert1

Oh I love that ,Big Boy , that's exactly what I do .
There are some of us who only accept the authority we have in ourselves .... [/QUOTE

So you "only " accept the the authority that you have in ("our selves" )speak for your self ,Big Boy ;an authority of what ?......breathing , farting ; what kind of authority are you talking about ; your wife's authority over you ?....that's probably it .
An authority implies a control .It looks like you need to be controlled, to be"guided to a better life . Is that why you got married LG ?

Crave authority from within you ? What an odd concept.
How'd you like to straighten out your post so I can make sense of it. That would go a long ways if you are seeking a reply from me. Perhaps you might find an authority on the use of written English?
I did manage to make sense of the question "Is that why you got married LG ?" and the answer to it is, no, that isn't why I got married.
And I understoof this: "Crave authority from within you ? What an odd concept." My reply to that is no, I don't crave my own authority. I am my own authority. But I understand that you find that odd as you seem always to be seeking something in your posts.
Speaking of which, you want to know how to become enlightened? Flip the light switch on. Another way is to head for the loo and drop a large loaf. ;-)

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I agree. And I think it's because people are lazy and refuse to develop the willpower to take their own lives into their own hands.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
LGilbert

[
QUOTE]How'd you like to straighten out your post so I can make sense of it.
[/quote]

I,ll be very happy to do so.....

Quote: Speak for yourself, Pilgrim.-----that's you LG !

Oh I love that ,Big Boy , that's exactly what I do ------that's me saying that is what I do , get it ?

There are some of us who only accept the authority we have in ourselves ------ That's you LG ,again hiding behind others ;are you afraid of saying ....That's what I do ?

Speak for your self LG ,you don't know what "others have or don't have" in them self '.

L G
And I understoof this: "Crave authority from within you ? What an odd concept." My reply to that is no, I don't crave my own authority. I am my own authority.
What you crave for LG is to be" righ ",'cause that carries some weight ; an authority .

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
[SIZE=-1] If you realize that we can't depend on outside authority in bringing about a total revolution within the structure of your own psyche, there is the immensely greater difficulty of rejecting your own inward authority, the authority of your own particular little experiences and accumulated opinions, knowledge, ideas and ideals. You had an experience yesterday which taught you something and what it taught you becomes a new authority --and that authority of yesterday is as destructive as the authority of a thousand years. To understand ourselves needs no authority either of yesterday or of a thousand years because we are living things, always moving, flowing never resting. When we look at ourselves with the dead authority of yesterday we will fail to understand the living movement and the beauty and quality of that movement.[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]To be free of all authority, of your own and that of another, is to die to everything of yesterday, so that your mind is always fresh, always young, innocent, full of vigour and passion. It is only in that state that one learns and observes. And for this a great deal of awareness is required, actual awareness of what is going on inside yourself, without correcting it or telling it what it should or should not be, because the moment you correct it you have established another authority, a censor.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]