I challenge you all to not be affected by this

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
It is odd that we have so little relationship with nature, with the insects and the leaping frog and the owl that hoots among the hills calling for its mate. We never seem to have a feeling for all living things on the earth. If we could establish a deep abiding relationship with nature we would never kill an animal for our appetite, we would never harm, vivisect, a monkey, a dog, a guinea pig for our benefit. We would find other ways to heal our wounds, heal our bodies. But the healing of the mind is something totally different.
That healing gradually takes place if you are with nature, with that orange on the tree, and the blade of grass that pushes through the cement, and the hills covered, hidden, by the clouds.
This is not sentiment or romantic imagination but a reality of a relationship with everything that lives and moves on the earth. Man has killed millions of whales and is still killing them. All that we derive from their slaughter can be had through other means. But apparently man loves to kill things, the fleeting deer, the marvellous gazelle and the great elephant. We love to kill each other. This killing of other human beings has never stopped throughout the history of man’s life on this earth. If we could, and we must, establish a deep long abiding relationship with nature, with the actual trees, the bushes, the flowers, the grass and the fast moving clouds, then we would never slaughter another human being for any reason whatsoever. Organized murder is war, and though we demonstrate against a particular war, the nuclear, or any other kind of war, we have never demonstrated against war. We have never said that to kill another human being is the greatest sin on earth.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
We have never said that to kill another human being is the greatest sin on earth.

china,Is it? Why are we more important than a deer?

War is all about making money for the rich. So those who enlist are mislead by patriotism. War does not just kill and maim humans. Wildlife are just as affected. War is about laying waste the land and all the living things that call it home.

The Challenge then is promote understanding so that war has no place to take hold. But, the third part of the video (you will to got to youtube to see it) shows that only about one third of the teens were permanently changed by it. With adults, the numbers were less. None the less, the process has to start somewhere.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Gee.. could it be? What I say and do affects people? As much as what they say and do affects me?

Anyone who doesn't know this by the time they're 15 isn't paying attention IMO.

The teachers were positively frighting - what morons! and they're teaching the kids!?!?! No wonder they're so screwed up.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Scott Free,

Well judging by the prevalence of bullying and discrimination, kids might not be as aware as we might think. Certainly the previous generation is even less aware but it seems (maybe it is just wishful thinking) that we are progressing as a species.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
We have never said that to kill another human being is the greatest sin on earth.

china,Is it?
Why are we more important than a deer?

Have you ever heard of two bucks , being thousands kilometer apart from one another still being in a position to communicate .......on a computer ? Perhaps just that makes us a bit more important ....perhaps .

dirtylinder

get dirty
Apr 24, 2007
vancouver island
It is odd that we have so little relationship with nature, with the insects and the leaping frog and the owl that hoots among the hills calling for its mate. We never seem to have a feeling for all living things on the earth. If we could establish a deep abiding relationship with nature we would never kill an animal for our appetite, we would never harm, vivisect, a monkey, a dog, a guinea pig for our benefit. We would find other ways to heal our wounds, heal our bodies. But the healing of the mind is something totally different.
That healing gradually takes place if you are with nature, with that orange on the tree, and the blade of grass that pushes through the cement, and the hills covered, hidden, by the clouds.
This is not sentiment or romantic imagination but a reality of a relationship with everything that lives and moves on the earth. Man has killed millions of whales and is still killing them. All that we derive from their slaughter can be had through other means. But apparently man loves to kill things, the fleeting deer, the marvellous gazelle and the great elephant. We love to kill each other. This killing of other human beings has never stopped throughout the history of man’s life on this earth. If we could, and we must, establish a deep long abiding relationship with nature, with the actual trees, the bushes, the flowers, the grass and the fast moving clouds, then we would never slaughter another human being for any reason whatsoever. Organized murder is war, and though we demonstrate against a particular war, the nuclear, or any other kind of war, we have never demonstrated against war. We have never said that to kill another human being is the greatest sin on earth.

I liked what you wrote China, and I think that there are may who do not feel a connection to others, their surroundings or nature.....what a huge mistake! I go for my hikes and listen to the noises and appreciate them all. I feel grateful for every tree, bug and bird I see or hear......it is great to feel and be a part of the world....I feel therefore I am.
Some have to see or hold things to feel or be connected to them...I do not.....I know I am connected to all....I can't imagine killing a human, it would be like killing a part of myself....

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I participated in something similar to this in high school, only it surrounded family violence and stuff of that nature. It was an alternative high school.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
china,

My point is that we are an intrinsic part of the web of life. It is not just the killing of humans that is the sin. Any part of the biosphere that we destroy, destroys a part of ourselves. We are connected to the web of life except in our minds. We have been told that we are superior to the other beings on the planet and that is where we feel that we have a right to deal with or dispose of them as we see fit. We doe this at risk of our own peril.But understanding our relationship to other humans is just a beginning to undertsanding our relationship to the entire web of life.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
It is odd that we have so little relationship with nature, with the insects and the leaping frog and the owl that hoots among the hills calling for its mate.
I don't find it odd. It is the way we have designed our societies.
We never seem to have a feeling for all living things on the earth. If we could establish a deep abiding relationship with nature we would never kill an animal for our appetite,
Speak for yourself. Killing is killing whether it is a tree, a bug, a chicken, or a person. What would you expect people to eat if they didn't kill something or other? :roll:
we would never harm, vivisect, a monkey, a dog, a guinea pig for our benefit. We would find other ways to heal our wounds, heal our bodies.
Perhaps. Not everyone is the same, though. There will ALWAYS be people that deviate from what "should be".
But the healing of the mind is something totally different.
You think so? Amazing.
I don't think healing takes place without intent. Humans are surrounded by nature and have been forever, but we are still messing up.
This is not sentiment or romantic imagination but a reality of a relationship with everything that lives and moves on the earth. Man has killed millions of whales and is still killing them. All that we derive from their slaughter can be had through other means. But apparently man loves to kill things, the fleeting deer, the marvellous gazelle and the great elephant.
and the majestic tree and the succulent carrot and .......
We love to kill each other. This killing of other human beings has never stopped throughout the history of man’s life on this earth.
Of course. People will never give out the same respect they think they deserve.
If we could, and we must, establish a deep long abiding relationship with nature, with the actual trees, the bushes, the flowers, the grass and the fast moving clouds, then we would never slaughter another human being for any reason whatsoever.
Nice dream, but that's all it is. There will always be people that deviate from what "should be".
Organized murder is war, and though we demonstrate against a particular war, the nuclear, or any other kind of war, we have never demonstrated against war. We have never said that to kill another human being is the greatest sin on earth.
I don't think we should. Perhaps if people gave the same respect toward our planet and its inhabitants that you suggest we give each other, we may be better off but it is only a fantasy.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
china,

My point is that we are an intrinsic part of the web of life. It is not just the killing of humans that is the sin. Any part of the biosphere that we destroy, destroys a part of ourselves. We are connected to the web of life except in our minds. We have been told that we are superior to the other beings on the planet and that is where we feel that we have a right to deal with or dispose of them as we see fit. We doe this at risk of our own peril.But understanding our relationship to other humans is just a beginning to undertsanding our relationship to the entire web of life.
Quite right.