Just simple

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
It seems so impossibly difficult to be simple, to be what you are and not pretend. To be what you are is in itself very arduous without trying to become something, which is not too difficult. You can always pretend, put on a mask but to be what you are is an extremely complex affair; because you are always changing; you are never the same and each moment reveals a new facet, a new depth, a new surface. You can’t be all this at one moment for each moment brings its own change. So if you are at all intelligent, you give up being anything. You think you are very sensitive and an incident, a fleeting though, shows that you are not; you think you are clever, well-read, artistic, moral but turn round the corner, you find you are none of these things but that you are deeply ambitious, envious, insufficient, brutal and anxious. You are all these things turn by turn and you want something to be continuous, permanent, of course only that which is profitable, pleasurable. So you run after that and all the many other yous are clamoring to have their way, to have their fulfillment.

So to be what you are is an extremely arduous affair; if you are at all awake, you know all these things and the sorrow of it all. So you drown yourself in your work, in your belief, in your fantastic ideals and meditations. By then you have become old and ready for the grave, it you are not already dead inwardly. To put away all these things, with their contradictions and increasing sorrow, and be nothing is the most natural and intelligent thing to do. But before you can be nothing, you must have unearthed all these hidden things, exposing them and so understanding them. To understand these hidden urges and compulsions, you will have to be aware of them, without choice, as with death; then in the pure act of seeing, they will wither away and you will be without sorrow and so be as nothing. To be as nothing is not a negative state; the very denial of everything you have been is the most positive action, not the positive of reactions, which in inaction; it is this inaction which causes sorrow. This denial is freedom. This positive action gives energy, and mere ideas dissipate energy. Idea is time and living in time is disintegration, sorrow.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
This is a very Buddhist philosophy but it is also a catch 22. In your desire for nothingness, you cannot escape you multiplicity. Judging your multiplicity is self defeating. It is only by embracing the multiple aspects of yourself, by being content with who you are, that you begin to understand yourself. It is only through loving the self that one begins to reconnect to the higher Self.

It is not easy to undo the restrictive social conditioning that all of us have been subjected to, but it is only through self love that the process can begin. We are both yin ad yang, good and bad. By embracing all the various aspects, the fractured personalities that are a result of our fractured indoctrination into our various social constructs, we begin to glimpse the unifying force that underlies us and connects us to all that is.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
[SIZE=+1]Ciffy ,Thanks for a wonderful post[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1] You know Cliffy every time we are looking at our own thinking and feeling, we are judging. Some thoughts and feelings we like. So we try to improve on them and linger with them. Other thoughts and feelings we don't like. So we try to repress them or get rid of them. We are forever trying to make our selves better. We make ideals about our selves. We only want good and noble thoughts that will be applauded both by our selves, and by our fellow men. But all the time there is also, deep down in our (un)consciousness, jealousy and violence, hatred and anger, grief and loneliness. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]By repressing these thoughts and feelings and sweeping them under the carpet, so to speak, we let them fester and grow strong in their unconscious hold on us. We[/SIZE][SIZE=+1] have to accept them and look them in the eye. We must not condemn. We have to accept them as part of our inherited consciousness. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]When we stop fighting with ourselves, we aren't creating anymore conflict in our mind. Then our mind can for the first time relax and be still. Then for the first time our consciousness can become whole and unfragmented. Then total attention can be given to all of our thoughts and feelings. And then there will be found a gentleness and a goodness in us that can embrace all that is been given in the world. Then a deep love for everything will be the result of this deep attention. For this total attention, this soft and pure consciousness that we are, is nothing but Love itself.[/SIZE]

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Your treatise is indeed noble but unachievable...in my personal opinion.
rgs
scth

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
scratch ,
Your treatise is indeed noble but unachievable...in my personal opinion.

This is it scratch ,when we inquire into the topic of "Self"or any other topic , we must deal with facts , not with opinions or judgments . You have your opinion and I have my opinion and so there is a battle and a lack of communication .
That' my opi.....point of view.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
scratch ,

This is it scratch ,when we inquire into the topic of "Self"or any other topic , we must deal with facts , not with opinions or judgments . You have your opinion and I have my opinion and so there is a battle and a lack of communication .
That' my opi.....point of view.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
China,

We are duality. To try to deny or change will only cause further fragmentation. People who strive to only be good (according to the dictates of whatever belief system they were indoctrinated into) will become so unbalanced that eventually they explode into violence or act out that which they have denied. Thus you see evangelists caught in adulterous or homosexual acts simply because they are so horrified by it that they can't help themselves.

People have to understand that they do not have to act upon every depraved thought they have. They can simply acknowledge them and then choose not to act. But judging them leads to self hatred and that is when we sow the seeds of deprevation that will eventually come to fruition.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
This is why I have such an aversion to religion - they all espouse to denial of the self but none teaches the divine aspect of ourselves. They teach that we are acted upon by outside forces, personifying good as god and bad as devil, denying that both are just aspects of our whole being. This definitely cause the schisms that we see in the world today.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Hello Cliffy ,
We are duality. To try to deny or change will only cause further fragmentation. People who strive to only be good (according to the dictates of whatever belief system they were indoctrinated into) will become so unbalanced that eventually they explode into violence or act out that which they have denied. Thus you see evangelists caught in adulterous or homosexual acts simply because they are so horrified by it that they can't help themselves.

People have to understand that they do not have to act upon every depraved thought they have. They can simply acknowledge them and then choose not to act. But judging them leads to self hatred and that is when we sow the seeds of deprevation that will eventually come to fruition.

Ok Cliffy,
Is there a duality ,does duality exist at all ? There is obviously duality out worldly;different colors , sizes....tall- short and so on .But psychologically there is only "what is" , we invented the "what should be ".From the fact of "what is" there is an abstraction to "what should be", the ideal .But ther is only "what is".
If I understand "what is" ,why should there be a duality ?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Obviously duality is a matter of belief or social conditioning. It may not be true or real to someone who has integrated into a whole person but that is an ideal, at least in any society i see today. We not only have to overcome our personal social conditioning, but that of many generations that influenced who and what we have become as a society today.

I agree that good and bad are just conditioned judgments but it is not as easy as changing your mind to overcome.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hey Cliff, you guys are getting "too deep" for me but on a really simple matter, have you got snow in Nakusp yet?, we got our first 3" of the season in G.F. on Friday.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
China sure likes to complicate the hell out of simple contexts.
Personally I like who I am. I am not rigidly compassionate, bitter, loving, angry, etc. But I am generally loving, copmpassionate, kind, loyal, etc. Occasionally I get angry or some other negative sort of emotion but that's just me and I can control it and accept it. I agree with Cliff. Just be content with who you are and change what you don't like.