Compassion

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Thought cannot, by any means whatsoever, cultivate compassion. I am not using that word compassion to mean the opposite, the antithesis of hate or violence. But unless each one of us has a deep sense of compassion, we shall become more and more brutal, inhuman to each other.We shall have mechanical, computer-like minds which have merely been trained to perform certain functions; we shall go on seeking security, both physical and psychological, and we shall miss the extraordinary depth and beauty, the whole significance of life.By compassion I do not mean a thing to be acquired. Compassion is not the word, which is merely of the past, but something which is of the active present; it is the verb and not the word, the name, or the noun. There is a difference between the verb and the word. The verb is of the active present, whereas the word is always of the past and therefore static. Compassion is not sentiment; it is not this woolly sympathy or empathy. Compassion is not something which you can cultivate through thought, through discipline, control, suppression, nor by being kind, polite, gentle, and all the rest of it. Compassion comes into being only when thought has come to an end.... at its very root.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Thought cannot, by any means whatsoever, cultivate compassion. I am not using that word compassion to mean the opposite, the antithesis of hate or violence. But unless each one of us has a deep sense of compassion, we shall become more and more brutal, inhuman to each other.We shall have mechanical, computer-like minds which have merely been trained to perform certain functions; we shall go on seeking security, both physical and psychological, and we shall miss the extraordinary depth and beauty, the whole significance of life.By compassion I do not mean a thing to be acquired. Compassion is not the word, which is merely of the past, but something which is of the active present; it is the verb and not the word, the name, or the noun. There is a difference between the verb and the word. The verb is of the active present, whereas the word is always of the past and therefore static. Compassion is not sentiment; it is not this woolly sympathy or empathy. Compassion is not something which you can cultivate through thought, through discipline, control, suppression, nor by being kind, polite, gentle, and all the rest of it. Compassion comes into being only when thought has come to an end.... at its very root.

China, seriously, why do you keep trying to tell us that in order to achieve all these great things you keep pointing out, that we have to stop thinking and act like zombies and all will be just fine?

My compassion is created through thought.... without thought, we indeed would be much like the machines you spoke of, because that is what makes machines non-intelligent..... they have no real thought, they are programmed.

So you're telling us that in order to avoid becomming machines, we have to start acting like them by not thinking?

What the hell kind of sense is that? :-?

"Compassion is not something which you can cultivate through thought, through discipline, control, suppression, nor by being kind, polite, gentle, and all the rest of it."

^ Yes it is, or else you wouldn't understand what the hell compassion was in the first place.... I learn compassion by understanding what I like and what I don't like..... how I am treated and how I treat others. I put myself in the shoes of other people in certain situations and I learn and understand what they maybe going through and that creates for me Compassion, because I can then relate and understand.... then I can react or act in order to express or not express my compassion.

It all requires thought.... or else you're just a pickle in a jar in the back of the fridge, waiting to be eaten some month.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
compassion comes from the heart without effort, and can even surprise the owner who
feels the positive vibrations of such, and can tell us that we are truly concerned and want
to care for each other.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC

Word salad.

Reactions: In Between Man

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
talloola ,
compassion comes from the heart without effort, and can even surprise the owner who
feels the positive vibrations of such, and can tell us that we are truly concerned and want
to care for each other

Thank you talloola ,couldn't said it better .

Reactions: In Between Man

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
China, seriously, why do you keep trying to tell us that in order to achieve all these great things you keep pointing out, that we have to stop thinking and act like zombies and all will be just fine?
My compassion is created through thought.... without thought, we indeed would be much like the machines you spoke of, because that is what makes machines non-intelligent..... they have no real thought, they are programmed
So you're telling us that in order to avoid becomming machines, we have to start acting like them by not thinking?
What the hell kind of sense is that?

In 1905,Albert Einstein became the first person to propose the general principle of the equivalence of mass and energy. Mass is energy and energy is mass. Minute amounts of mass can be converted into enormous energy, which is what occurs inside a nuclear bomb. Mass is, in a very real sense, simply a manifestation in form of underlying energy. In theory, any form of mass can be transformed into energy, including the human body and everything in it.
So, a human being is really underlying energy; mind is energy, brain is energy. At present, the full potential energy of the brain mass is being sapped through the constant movement of thought/feeling within the brain's circuitry. It is being fragmented, being hindered, through the operation of the illusory self (an EGO) , which is essentially a contradiction to the natural order. This self, this separate observer, in effect becomes a form of friction in the brain, reducing the force of energy within it.
It is a well known principle in science that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only be transformed. It can, however, be reduced in intensity through friction, which is what occurs mechanically. As the self is essentially resistance, through this friction it reduces the full potential of this human energy.
End the self, (which in essence is the ending of all thought) and the brain falls silent. The circuitry of the brain, freed from friction, releases energy on a scale far greater than that which we know at present.
So, thought is matter. Thought is the expression of energy in the brain. The ending of thought as matter within the brain is its transformation into energy itself, without any restriction.

What I'm saying , is that the ending of suffering, which is the ending of the thought process, transforms (or mutates) the potential of the neuro-chemical connections in the brain into greatly expanded energy, which is passion/compassion/love. This is the energy of, and behind, the entire universe. The treasure is thus within, and without. There is no division between the within and the without.There is a catch, of course - there's always a catch to everything.You have to stop running away from suffering.
I hope the above
will explain why I always
"keep trying to tell us that in order to achieve all these great things you keep pointing out, that we have to stop thinking and act like zombies and all will be just fine".

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
What the hell kind of sense is that?
It makes perfect sense within the context of most of your posts. Just about everything I've read in your posts makes me think that you believe we could all be perfect if we would just quit thinking.

Albert Einstein became the first person to propose the general principle of the equivalence of mass and energy. Mass is energy and energy is mass. Minute amounts of mass can be converted into enormous energy, which is what occurs inside a nuclear bomb. Mass is, in a very real sense, simply a manifestation in form of underlying energy. In theory, any form of mass can be transformed into energy, including the human body and everything in it.
So, a human being is really underlying energy; mind is energy, brain is energy. At present, the full potential energy of the brain mass is being sapped through the constant movement of thought/feeling within the brain's circuitry. It is being fragmented, being hindered, through the operation of the illusory self (an EGO) , which is essentially a contradiction to the natural order. This self, this separate observer, in effect becomes a form of friction in the brain, reducing the force of energy within it.
It is a well known principle in science that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only be transformed. It can, however, be reduced in intensity through friction, which is what occurs mechanically. As the self is essentially resistance, through this friction it reduces the full potential of this human energy.
End the self, (which in essence is the ending of all thought) and the brain falls silent. The circuitry of the brain, freed from friction, releases energy on a scale far greater than that which we know at present.
So, thought is matter. Thought is the expression of energy in the brain. The ending of thought as matter within the brain is its transformation into energy itself, without any restriction.
What I'm saying , is that the ending of suffering, which is the ending of the thought process, transforms (or mutates) the potential of the neuro-chemical connections in the brain into greatly expanded energy, which is passion/compassion/love. This is the energy of, and behind, the entire universe. The treasure is thus within, and without. There is no division between the within and the without.There is a catch, of course - there's always a catch to everything.You have to stop running away from suffering.
I hope the above will explain why I always
I would suggest that you go take a refresher course in basic physics. Mass does NOT equal energy, hence the formula Einstein developed: energy equals mass TIMES the velocity of light. You sure come up with a lot of words that represent gibberish.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Tough & rough going sometimes when you make an effort to understand another's point of view..

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
LG

I would suggest that you go take a refresher course in basic physics.

I have LG and you know what I found out? I found out that I am not wrong at all (which I have known all along) and that you are a pedant and don't have the ability to understand others points of view which are not that hard to digest .
No hard feelings old man ,keep on reading .

Albert Einstein's formula e=mc2 proven right, 103 years later

Article from: The Australian
IT'S taken more than a century, but Einstein's celebrated formula e=mc2 has finally been corroborated, thanks to a heroic computational effort by French, German and Hungarian physicists.
A brainpower consortium led by Laurent Lellouch of France's Centre for Theoretical Physics, using some of the world's mightiest supercomputers, have set down the calculations for estimating the mass of protons and neutrons, the particles at the nucleus of atoms.

According to the conventional model of particle physics, protons and neutrons comprise smaller particles known as quarks, which in turn are bound by gluons.

The odd thing is this: the mass of gluons is zero and the mass of quarks is only 5 per cent. Where, therefore, is the missing 95 per cent?

The answer, according to the study published in the US journal Science yesterday, comes from the energy from the movements and interactions of quarks and gluons.

In other words, energy and mass are equivalent, as Einstein proposed in his Special Theory of Relativity in 1905.

The e=mc2 formula shows that mass can be converted into energy, and energy can be converted into mass.

By showing how much energy would be released if a certain amount of mass were to be converted into energy, the equation has been used many times, most famously as the inspirational basis for building atomic weapons.

But resolving e=mc2 at the scale of sub-atomic particles - in equations called quantum chromodynamics - has been fiendishly difficult.

“Until now, this has been a hypothesis,” France's National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS) said proudly in a press release.

“It has now been corroborated for the first time.”

For those keen to know more: the computations involve “envisioning space and time as part of a four-dimensional crystal lattice, with discrete points spaced along columns and rows”.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Tough & rough going sometimes when you make an effort to understand another's point of view..

No effort is required, the compassion will spontaneously flood your total being if you'd only stop thinking about it. Sounds like a something for nothing deal to me, same as perpetual motion, same as the big bang. Straight out of the new agers handbook for personal redemption in twelve easy steps.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
In 1905,Albert Einstein became the first person to propose the general principle of the equivalence of mass and energy. Mass is energy and energy is mass. Minute amounts of mass can be converted into enormous energy, which is what occurs inside a nuclear bomb. Mass is, in a very real sense, simply a manifestation in form of underlying energy. In theory, any form of mass can be transformed into energy, including the human body and everything in it.

Which follows along the lines of what I believe in regards to the afterlife and our existence..... but what does this have to do with the topic? (I guess I will read further to find out)

That is of course speculation which has yet to be really proven without a doubt. And if it burns that much energy, then go eat dinner and get your energy back.

Hell, if we were so concerned about saving that little bit of energy, then why bother exercising? Why run? Why Swim? Why even work?? Just sit in your chair at home and veg out and you'll be as clear headed as a turnip, saving all kinds of energy.

Perhaps in a manner of speaking one could view it as reduction of full energy, but if energy is always constant, then it is only reducing the amount of energy at one time, but the full amount of energy will eventually still be used and transformed, just at a slower pace. Therefore, if this is true, then you're not burning your human energy at a faster pace, hence slowing your death, rather then quickening it.

Use a car to it's full potiential all the time and you eventually burn it out and needs to be replaced or repaired.

So if ending the individual and having a brain that falls silent, or brain dead if you will (since there is very little or no activity) is going to release energy on a scale far greater then we know at present....... what the hell is the point of living?

You have all this new energy in theory, but you never use it, because you have to wipe all thought, all self and just veg..... what's the point then?

It might be all good and great for some Matrix machines to use us as batteries, but what good does that do us, or the collective of humanity?

None.... therefore pointless. There is no point in gaining all this energy if it's for nothing.

Which is again, completely pointless as it wouldn't be used for anything productive except keeping you alive. But if you're doing nothing and thinking of nothing, then isn't it more of a waste of energy in the long run?

I think it is.

What I'm saying , is that the ending of suffering, which is the ending of the thought process, transforms (or mutates) the potential of the neuro-chemical connections in the brain into greatly expanded energy, which is passion/compassion/love.
This is the energy of, and behind, the entire universe.

Energy is behind the entire universe in which we know and live in..... love, compassion and passion are not.... those are subjective emotions based on human understanding..... human emotion and understanding that was created through thought and consciousness.

The treasure is thus within, and without. There is no division between the within and the without.
There is a catch, of course - there's always a catch to everything.You have to stop running away from suffering.
I hope the above will explain why I always

Of course there is no division between the within and the without as most understand it. But how does not running away from suffering match up to your concept of eleminating suffering by no longer thinking? If you stop thinking and wondering about the world around you and yourself along with it..... then you stop any connection between suffering and pleasure, therefore you are still running away from it, because you are no longer addressing it, facing it.... confronting it.... understanding it..... accepting that it is a part of life, just like everything else.

Without suffering we would never know pleasure or happiness.... without happiness and pleasure we would never know suffering and dispair.

You can not eleminate one and keep the other, because they make one another exist like the ying and yang if you will.

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I have LG and you know what I found out? I found out that I am not wrong at all (which I have known all along) and that you are a pedant and don't have the ability to understand others points of view which are not that hard to digest .

"I am not wrong..... I known all along".... = ego = individual status = counters everything you just told us.

practice what you preach.

Albert Einstein's formula e=mc2 proven right, 103 years later

Article from: The Australian
IT'S taken more than a century, but Einstein's celebrated formula e=mc2 has finally been corroborated, thanks to a heroic computational effort by French, German and Hungarian physicists.
A brainpower consortium led by Laurent Lellouch of France's Centre for Theoretical Physics, using some of the world's mightiest supercomputers, have set down the calculations for estimating the mass of protons and neutrons, the particles at the nucleus of atoms.

According to the conventional model of particle physics, protons and neutrons comprise smaller particles known as quarks, which in turn are bound by gluons.

The odd thing is this: the mass of gluons is zero and the mass of quarks is only 5 per cent. Where, therefore, is the missing 95 per cent?

The answer, according to the study published in the US journal Science yesterday, comes from the energy from the movements and interactions of quarks and gluons.

In other words, energy and mass are equivalent, as Einstein proposed in his Special Theory of Relativity in 1905.

The e=mc2 formula shows that mass can be converted into energy, and energy can be converted into mass.

By showing how much energy would be released if a certain amount of mass were to be converted into energy, the equation has been used many times, most famously as the inspirational basis for building atomic weapons.

But resolving e=mc2 at the scale of sub-atomic particles - in equations called quantum chromodynamics - has been fiendishly difficult.

“Until now, this has been a hypothesis,” France's National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS) said proudly in a press release.

“It has now been corroborated for the first time.”

For those keen to know more: the computations involve “envisioning space and time as part of a four-dimensional crystal lattice, with discrete points spaced along columns and rows”.

Once again, so?

What is the point of attempting to save all that wonderful energy in our brains if it's never going to be used in the first place since we have to clear all thought in order to save it?

What's the point of putting batteries in your camera if you never use your camera?

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
LGilbert
I would suggest that you go take a refresher course in basic physics. Mass does NOT equal energy, hence the formula Einstein developed: energy equals mass TIMES the velocity of light. You sure come up with a lot of words that represent gibberish.
China
The e=mc2 formula shows that mass can be converted into energy, and energy can be converted into mass
Praxius
Once again, so what ?
China
So nothing ; know what you are reading .

Praxius
"I am not wrong..... I known all along".... = ego = individual status = counters everything you just told us.
practice what you preach.
China

It counters nothing Praxius.
Praxius
What's the point of putting batteries in your camera if you never use your camera?
China
Good question Praxius ,but that's a topic for a different thread .

C

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
body=
合作国际英语词典v.0.48 [gcide]

同情\ Com*pas " sion \, n. [F.,框架L. compassio,框架compati
有同情; 负担的com- + pati,遭受。 看见
患者。]
逐字地,遭受与别的; 哀痛的感觉
激发由别的困厄或不幸; 哀怜;
同情。
[1913年韦伯斯特]

工作的女子般地的机巧集合在女子般地的同情旁边。
--Macaulay。

同步符: 哀怜; 同情; 同情; 家伙感觉; 慈悲;
吊唁。 看见哀怜。

body=

[1913年韦伯斯特]

同情\ Com*pas " sion \,卷T。
对哀怜。 [Obs。] --Shak。
[1913年韦伯斯特]

WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]

同情
n 1 : 对别人的痛苦的一种深刻的了悟和同情
[同步符: 同情]
2 : 了解其他的痛苦的人道质量
并且想要做某事对此[同步符: 哀怜]

Moby分类词词典II Grady Ward, 1.著。
body=
0 [moby-thes]

“同情的” 66个Moby分类词词典词:
采纳,亲爱,仁爱,亲,仁慈,
团体,慈善,赦免, clementness,同情,
吊唁,从容,懒散的状态,同情,厚待,感觉,
亲属关系的感觉,同感,忍耐,克制,
饶恕,互助感觉,温和,善良,
心脏,雍容,亲切,金子般的心,仁慈的善良,
人类,仁慈,亲切,亲切的性格,
仁慈,宽松,仁慈,宽大, lenientness,宽大,
慈爱,
body=
仁慈,慈悲,温和,缓和,
moderateness,美好,体谅,悲怆,耐心,哀怜,处所,
安心,缓刑,云香,露丝,自怜,好心肠,软性,
仁慈,同情, tenderheartedness,柔软灵魂,
容忍,亲切,温暖,心脏温暖

The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]

Compassion \Com*pas"sion\, n. [F., fr. L. compassio, fr. compati
to have compassion; com- + pati to bear, suffer. See
Patient.]
Literally, suffering with another; a sensation of sorrow
excited by the distress or misfortunes of another; pity;
commiseration.
[1913 Webster]

Womanly ingenuity set to work by womanly compassion.
--Macaulay.

Syn: Pity; sympathy; commiseration; fellow-feeling; mercy;
condolence. See Pity.
[1913 Webster]

Compassion \Com*pas"sion\, v. t.
To pity. [Obs.] --Shak.
[1913 Webster]

WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]

compassion
n 1: a deep awareness of and sympathy for another's suffering
[syn: compassionateness]
2: the humane quality of understanding the suffering of others