Cant put your faith in anything

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
[SIZE=+1]World losing faith in leaders ability to resolve crisis[/SIZE]
China National News
Friday 14th November, 2008

Global stock makers continue to gyrate as world leaders gather in Washington for an historic summit to confront the global financial crisis.

In an ominous sign that markets do not hold out much hope for a successful outcome to the weekend summit, the Dow Jones industrials lost more than 300 points Friday, while the Nasdaq Composite shed 5% of its value.

Leaders themselves have been down playing expectations for the summit. Host George W. Bush said a single meeting was not going to resolve the crisis.

Meantime on the eve of the summit an FT/Harris poll has revealed the majority of Americans and Europeans have lost confidence in their leaders ability to come up with solutions, and say their handling of the crisis to date hs been poor.

68% of those in the U.S. polled claimed their government has handled the crisis poorly with 39% rating President George W. Bush’s personal performance as terrible.

The poll’s findings illustrate the difficult position leaders of the world’s major economies find themselves in with their electorates as they try to do their part to influence the global response to the economic slowdown as their own economies slow, or enter recession, Te Financil Times reported Saturday.

In spite of claims by Gordon Brown, the British prime minister, that he has been leading the global response to the financial crisis, half of British respondents rate his performance as poor with only 19% saying he is doing a good job.

Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, Spain’s prime minister, and Silvio Berlusconi, Italy’s prime minister, have also fared poorly according toaround a third of their constituents.

Only Angela Merkel, Germany’s chancellor, emerges relatively unscathed with an equal split – 32% apiece – between those saying she has handled the crisis well or poorly. Yet this week Germany joined several other European countries in officially reporting that it had plunged into recession.

It is perhaps unsurprising that voters deliver harsh verdicts on their governments in tough economic times. Yet supporters of some politicians, such as Nicolas Sarkozy, France’s president, have been arguing that the crisis has only highlighted their leadership *qualities.

As holder of the rotating European Union presidency, Mr Sarkozy has played an important role in co-ordinating a pan-European response to the financial crisis. However, only 28% of respondents in France consider Mr Sarkozy is performing well with 37% suggesting he is doing poorly.

In spite of their critical judgment on their government’s response to the crisis, U.S. respondents are among the more optimistic in anticipating an economic rebound. Twenty-one per cent of US respondents expect their standard of living to improve next year, although far more – 44% – expect it to get worse. German responses are similar.

The French, though, confirm their reputation for being habitually pessimistic with only 4%predicting their standard of living will improve next year with 76% expecting it to deteriorate.

The monthly FT/Harris online poll was conducted among 6,257 adults in the US, France, Germany, Britain, Italy and Spain between October 29 and November 6, The Financial Tims reported.
/QUOTE]

The fact is there is nothing that you can trust; and that is a terrible fact, whether you like it or not. Psychologically, there is nothing in the world that you can put your faith, your trust, or your belief in. Neither your gods, nor your science can save you, can bring you psychological certainty; and you have to accept that you can trust in absolutely nothing. That is a scientific fact, as well as a psychological fact. Because, your leaders—religious and political—and your books—sacred and profane—have all failed, and you are still confused, in misery, in conflict. And, that is an absolute, undeniable fact.

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
I feel sorry for you gerryh .The attitude and the meaning of your posts addressed to me ,reveal your shallow and very common understanding of life .

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
sorry....I can put my complete trust and faith in any number of people and things...if you can't do the same...then I feel sorry for you.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
gerryh ,

sorry....I can put my complete trust and faith in any number of people and things...if you can't do the same...then I feel sorry for you.

You are truly a ...brave man gerryh , just don't feel sorry for me but name some of the things that you have that faith in.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
trusting or having faith.... no bravery involved at all.

I have complete faith and trust in my wife...my soul mate.... it didn't involve bravery.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
"The fact is there is nothing that you can trust; and that is a terrible fact, whether you like it or not. Psychologically, there is nothing in the world that you can put your faith, your trust, or your belief in. Neither your gods, nor your science can save you, can bring you psychological certainty; and you have to accept that you can trust in absolutely nothing. That is a scientific fact, as well as a psychological fact. Because, your leaders—religious and political—and your books—sacred and profane—have all failed, and you are still confused, in misery, in conflict. And, that is an absolute, undeniable fact".

What you say is true enough China but does it constitute failure or the process of growth? What you describe is life as all humans experiance it in varying degrees of awareness. You can trust that there is nothing you can trust except perhaps that you will make mistakes and you will fail, that is human developement at it's most basic. Like babies we are.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
trusting or having faith.... no bravery involved at all.

I have complete faith and trust in my wife...my soul mate.... it didn't involve bravery.

Every person must have faith and conviction and the bravery to defend both in the face of others who would test those atributes. Modesty is also an aspect of bravery.:lol:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
darkbeaver ,

What you say is true enough China but does it constitute failure or the process of growth?
You cannot depend upon anybody. There is no guide, no teacher, no authority. There is only you—your relationship with others and with the world—there is nothing else. When you realize this, it either brings great despair, from which comes cynicism and bitterness, or, in facing the fact that you and nobody else is responsible for the world and for yourself, for what you think, what you feel, how you act, all self-pity goes. Normally we thrive on blaming others, which is a form of self-pity.Trust me ,I see it all the time on the pages of this forum But you must understand the whole of life, not just one little part of it. That is why you must read, that is why you must look at the skies, that is why you must sing and dance, and write poems and suffer and understand, for all that is life…

Last edited: