Being humble ( Tao )

china
#1
Being humble
Quote:


If a man is crossing a river and an empty boat collides with his own skiff,
even though he be a bad-tempered man he will not become very angry.
But if he sees a man in the boat, he will shout at him to steer clear.
If the shout is not heard, he will shout again, and yet again, and begin cursing.
And all because there is somebody in the boat.
Yet if the boat were empty, he would not be shouting, and not angry.

If you can empty your own boat crossing the river of the world,
no one will oppose you, no one will seek to harm you....

Who can free himself from achievement, and from fame, descend and be lost amid the masses of men?
He will flow like Tao, unseen, he will go about like Life itself with no name and no home.
Simple is he, without distinction. To all appearances he is a fool.
His steps leave no trace. He has no power. He achieves nothing, has no reputation.

Since he judges no one, no one judges him.
Such is the perfect man:
His boat is empty.

Is my boat empty....................?
 
Scott Free
#2
If you empty your boat, even of yourself, then how will you travel the world?

"no one will oppose you, no one will seek to harm you..." but they will definitely take your boat.
 
Nuggler
#3
Your boat is non existant.

Think about that.

No, really. Think about what that means.
 
scratch
#4
It varies.
Just an observation.

regs,scratch
 
Curiosity
#5
China

You offer a portrait of a serene but very lonely individual. Why be given voice and sight if we are not to use it. All our sensory powers are wasted. Our mind and heart are dormant.

I would rather hear the angry shouts knowing there are also kind and loving words from others.

Humans need humans.
 
china
#6
Hello Curiosity,
Quote:

Humans need humans.

....which means ........"humans need ego".
 
darkbeaver
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by chinaView Post

Hello Curiosity,


....which means ........"humans need ego".

Impeccably empty of ego means empty of human, but the empty vessel is full in its emptyness, the one is all

give me your money I will lighten your load on the way
 
china
#8
darkbeaver
Quote:

Impeccably empty of ego means empty of human, but the empty vessel is full in its emptyness, the one is all

give me your money I will lighten your load on the way

Man ,here in the forum you are just "plain big".Try to use your talents in more lucrative places ; or perhaps you also hate money (making it) or don't know how.
 
darkbeaver
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by chinaView Post

darkbeaver
Man ,here in the forum you are just "plain big".Try to use your talents in more lucrative places ; or perhaps you also hate money (making it) or don't know how.

Without an ego humour escapes the empty vessel.
 
darkbeaver
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by chinaView Post

darkbeaver
Man ,here in the forum you are just "plain big".Try to use your talents in more lucrative places ; or perhaps you also hate money (making it) or don't know how.

Just a big number China. I'v been on my "way" what seems a long time now throw the money away it's keeping you bound, it's an illusion of power China.
 
china
#11
Quote:

I'v been on my "way" what seems a long time now throw the money away it's keeping you bound, it's an illusion of power China.

Perhaps it is an illusion of power to some darkbeaver ,but so is this forum, just read some of the posts ,some of them just make me laugh and make me wonder if the writer of the post would say the same thing if he saw me face to face .As the saying goes ,... "the smalest dog makes the most noise".Any how , I've realized the importance of money , that is why I have have quit school at a young age ; then I could work and learn.They don't teach you how to make money in schools ; if the teacher knew how to , I don't think he or she would be a teacher .One who says money is not important darkbeaver , never had any .
Last edited by china; Nov 11th, 2008 at 11:05 AM..
 
darkbeaver
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by chinaView Post

Perhaps it is an illusion of power to some darkbeaver ,but so is this forum, just read some of the posts .I've realized the importance of money , that is why I have have quit school at a young age ; then I could work and learn.They don't teach you how to make money in schools ; if the teacher knew how to , I don't think he or she would be a teacher .One who says money is not important darkbeaver , never had any .

Any weakness or addiction carries the same weight as money, the longer you live the heavier your crutch becomes, power is an illusion. They don't teach you how to shoot heroine in schools either. You can't buy what you need man, work is the only way and that is it's own reward.
 
china
#13
Quote:

Any weakness or addiction carries the same weight as money, the longer you live the heavier your crutch becomes, power is an illusion.

Obviously all weaknesses or addictions (psychological , not physical) are self made .It doesn't matter what your age is or how long do you live What matters is your realization of these weaknesses, and your willingness to heal .
Power is not an illusion , making allot of money is not an illusion Why do you
think it is so,..............?
Quote:

They don't teach you how to shoot heroine in schools either.

I guess that's a beginning .

[quote]You can't buy what you need man, work is the only way and that is it's own reward.[/QUOTE

Well I love my work , I get pay very well ,I don't need very much but what I need I buy and pay for it and you dark beaver sound as if you were in Aushwitz ...." Arbeit Macht Frei" The work will make one free "
Last edited by china; Nov 11th, 2008 at 12:00 PM..
 
darkbeaver
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by chinaView Post

Obviously all weaknesses or addictions (psychological , not physical) are self made .It doesn't matter what your age is or how long do you live What matters is your realization of these weaknesses, and your willingness to heal .
Power is not an illusion , making allot of money is not an illusion Why do you
think it is so,..............?


You can't buy what you need man, work is the only way and that is it's own reward.

Well keep up your exploration I'm sure you will heal someday, sorry to hear of your ailment , I sometimes forget when I'm talking to mortals.
 
china
#15
Quote:

Well keep up your exploration I'm sure you will heal someday, sorry to hear of your ailment , I sometimes forget when I'm talking to mortals.

As I said before my friend ; don't waste your time in writing in the forums ,you have talent especially in science -fiction .
 
darkbeaver
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by chinaView Post

As I said before my friend ; don't waste your time in writing in the forums ,you have talent especially in science -fiction .

I love work and your great stories China. How could I be wasteing my time basking in the shadows of luminaries like your illustrious self, you're too modest.
 
hermanntrude
#17
does being humble include spouting pseudopsychological crap and telling everyone to stop thinking and to stop disagreeing with you?
 
Nuggler
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

does being humble include spouting pseudopsychological crap and telling everyone to stop thinking and to stop disagreeing with you?

.................Yup, guess so........works for him.

I like the part about saying it face to face. Would that I had the opportunity.

Stick that in yer Tao, er, whatever.........
 
darkbeaver
#19
China's another money grubbing priest of the rising something or other. What's he going to do with the cash when he becomes pure energy?
 
hermanntrude
#20
maybe that becomes more energy and he gets to keep it?
 
darkbeaver
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

maybe that becomes more energy and he gets to keep it?

I'd not thought of that, maybe you can take it with you, maybe you need some to get there, maybe the poor are screwed, you've ruined my day.
 
missile
#22
ll you need is one silver coin to pay the ferryman to take you across the Styx
 
talloola
#23
Money is very important, it has allowed us to work and earn,be healthy and well fed, but one should be
humble with the awareness that it could disappear in the blink of any eye, be thankful for
the ability to earn the money, be humble in this world, for we are just beings, alongside
other beings and animals, forging our way throughout life, not better than others, or below
others.

Being humble does not mean being unaware, or weak, or unworthy, but eyes wide open and
the vision of who you are and where you're going, without pushing and shoving others.

Without money, one has to find a living, one has to eat and keep warm, what do you do then,
live off of others?
 
Said1
#24
With money, I get to be a corporate peon. I'd rather grow my own carrots.
 
Said1
#25
Ok. I lied. I'd rather be a peon than a bartering farmer.
 
Nuggler
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1View Post

Ok. I lied. I'd rather be a peon than a bartering farmer.


I'd rather be a hammer than a nail...........

Not permanently, mind you. Been a nail so long I couldn't take the abrupt change.

 
darkbeaver
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

Money is very important, it has allowed us to work and earn,be healthy and well fed, but one should be
humble with the awareness that it could disappear in the blink of any eye, be thankful for
the ability to earn the money, be humble in this world, for we are just beings, alongside
other beings and animals, forging our way throughout life, not better than others, or below
others.

Being humble does not mean being unaware, or weak, or unworthy, but eyes wide open and
the vision of who you are and where you're going, without pushing and shoving others.

Without money, one has to find a living, one has to eat and keep warm, what do you do then,
live off of others?

You've got money confused with labour. As soon as you sell your labour (rather than convert it directly into BTUs) you have to discount your work and therefore your time, which is short, this is systemically imposed exploitation of your very life, as an individual it is very inefficient use of your precious time and resources (sweat equity) currency permits transactions in labour over distance and time.
Last edited by darkbeaver; Nov 12th, 2008 at 11:16 AM..
 
scratch
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

You've got money confused with labour.

The extremely wealthy aside. The first is very connected to the second.
 
darkbeaver
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1View Post

Ok. I lied. I'd rather be a peon than a bartering farmer.

You will get to reconsider that along with the rest of us before spring I bet.
 
darkbeaver
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by scratchView Post

The extremely wealthy aside. The first is very connected to the second.

The one and the other are held together unnaturally by debt. The wealthy are never aside when it comes to money and labour, they live exclusivly on exploited labour.
 

Similar Threads

0
Eating humble pie chart
by GreenFish66 | Jul 12th, 2008
3
Maple Leafs humble Hurricanes
by CBC News | Mar 29th, 2007
66
Having A Humble Opinion Of Self
by sanctus | Nov 9th, 2006
no new posts