To know te mind

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada

To know the mind, the mind must know itself, for there is no "I" apart from the mind. There are no qualities separate from the mind, just as the qualities of the diamond are not separate from the diamond itself. To understand the mind you cannot interpret it according to somebody else's idea, but you must observe how your own total mind works. When you know the whole process of it - how it reasons, its desires, motives, ambitions, pursuits, its envy, greed and fear, then the mind can go beyond itself, and when it does there is the discovery of something totally new.
That quality of newness gives an extraordinary passion, a tremendous enthusiasm which brings about a deep inward revolution: and it is this inward revolution which alone can transform the world, not any political or economic system.”

Reactions: Nuggler

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008

To know the mind, the mind must know itself, for there is no "I" apart from the mind. There are no qualities separate from the mind, just as the qualities of the diamond are not separate from the diamond itself. To understand the mind you cannot interpret it according to somebody else's idea, but you must observe how your own total mind works. When you know the whole process of it - how it reasons, its desires, motives, ambitions, pursuits, its envy, greed and fear, then the mind can go beyond itself, and when it does there is the discovery of something totally new.
That quality of newness gives an extraordinary passion, a tremendous enthusiasm which brings about a deep inward revolution: and it is this inward revolution which alone can transform the world, not any political or economic system.”
Cogito,ergo sum.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Cogito, ergo sum

Meaning
Usually translated from the Latin as 'I think, therefore I am'.
Origin
Possibly the best known of all philososophical quotations; this is from the French philosopher René Descartes in his Discourse on Method (1637), where he attempted to prove his existence as a thinking being, by thinking. 'I think, therefore I am' comes to us in English via two translations. Descartes' original statement in French was "Je pense, donc je suis".
This is such a well-known line that it has spawned humourous alternatives, not least:
"I'm pink, therefore I'm spam"
"René Descartes was a drunken fart - I drink therefore I am".​
You have to "be" , exist first ,in order to do anything :including thinking .I have never agreed with this philosphical quotation .
So any how Scratch ,what are you trying to say.

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Another point of view ,
Make no mistake, the idea of the “author” as an “original” person who gives rise to him- or herself, as it were, is a fallacy. Even the most inventive “author” works with an inherited language or tradition and creative work would be impossible unless this idiom, language or tradition were first mastered. When René Descartes uttered the founding sentence of modern philosophy – “I think, therefore I am” (Cogito ergo sum) – he may have been under the impression that he had found the rock of presuppositionless indubitability, but he was mistaken. This gesture of self-founding did rest on something which he did not acknowledge, namely language (Latin and French) which pre-existed him. Without a language into which he was born, he could not have formulated his epoch-creating words, which decisively separated the modern era from the medieval.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
You have to "be" , exist first ,in order to do anything :including thinking .I have never agreed with this philosophical quotation .
So any how Scratch ,what are you trying to say.
Well china, I am trying to tell you how I feel about your statement.
`I think, therefore I am.` That includes all the things that you have eluded to. That is my personal take on this.
Sincere Regards,
scratch

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
René Descartes walks into his corner pub.
The bartender says, "The usual today Rene?"
Rene ponders a moment and says, "I think not" and promptly disappeared.

Fin.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
René Descartes walks into his corner pub.
The bartender says, "The usual today Rene?"
Rene ponders a moment and says, "I think not" and promptly disappeared.

Fin.
Number 1. Yes. superb reply eh1eh!
scratch

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Another point of view ,
Make no mistake, the idea of the “author” as an “original” person who gives rise to him- or herself, as it were, is a fallacy. Even the most inventive “author” works with an inherited language or tradition and creative work would be impossible unless this idiom, language or tradition were first mastered. When René Descartes uttered the founding sentence of modern philosophy – “I think, therefore I am” (Cogito ergo sum) – he may have been under the impression that he had found the rock of presuppositionless indubitability, but he was mistaken. This gesture of self-founding did rest on something which he did not acknowledge, namely language (Latin and French) which pre-existed him. Without a language into which he was born, he could not have formulated his epoch-creating words, which decisively separated the modern era from the medieval.

I have a manure spreader, therefore I spread.

Thanks China, te field in te North pasture needed te fertilizer.

May I have te rest after you're done with te pseudo.

Tanks

Te Nuggler :lol:(aw, it's a good ting we're best buddies, eh China)

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Nuggler
I have a manure spreader, therefore I spread.

Thanks China, te field in te North pasture needed te fertilizer.

May I have te rest after you're done with te pseudo.

Tanks

Te Nuggler
(aw, it's a good ting we're best buddies, eh China)
Buddies or no buddies Nuggler ,You almost look like a manure man (eh).
No offense ,buddy .

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
scratch

Well china, I am trying to tell you how I feel about your statement.
`I think, therefore I am.` That includes all the things that you have eluded to. That is my personal take on this.

Thank you for a fast reply scratch

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Nuggler
Buddies or no buddies Nuggler ,You almost look like a manure man (eh).
No offense ,buddy .

:lol:,,,,,,,Why, none taken or course, good friend and intellectual companion, philosopher first class. Although, in all fairness, you probably know more about manure than I.

Don't hold back, tell us more.. Especially about te mind. Cast those shining orbs of wisdom amongst us.

Respectfully yours, a friend forever:

Nuggler.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
:lol:,,,,,,,Why, none taken or course, good friend and intellectual companion, philosopher first class. Although, in all fairness, you probably know more about manure than I.

Don't hold back, tell us more.. Especially about te mind. Cast those shining orbs of wisdom amongst us.

Respectfully yours, a friend forever:

Nuggler.
He's got you right where you want him.:lol::lol::lol:

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Another point of view ,

I get the impression you are confusing self-founding and self-aknowledging. Descartes wasn't saying he founded himself, he was simply stating the obvious fact that he can't doubt his own existence for the very simple reason that he is experiencing the phenomenon of thought. The source of this individual existence can be God, or nature, or whatever but that is beside the point of Cogito ergo sum. The point is that I exist... simply.

So in other words, you're right in saying we don't create ourselves (at least not in the initial stages), but I'd say you're absolutely wrong if you think we can't aknowledge our own individual existence.

Last edited:

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I get the impression you are confusing self-founding and self-aknowledging. Descartes wasn't saying he founded himself, he was simply stating the obvious fact that he can't doubt his own existence for the very simple reason that he thinks. The source of this individual existence can be God, or nature, or whatever but that is beside the point of Cogito ergo sum. The point is that I exist... simply.

So in other words, you're right in saying we don't create ourselves (at least not in the initial stages), but I'd say you're absolutely wrong if you think we can't aknowledge our own individual existence.
Bang....right on s_lone. Congrats to you.
scratch

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
I get the impression you are confusing self-founding and self-aknowledging. Descartes wasn't saying he founded himself, he was simply stating the obvious fact that he can't doubt his own existence for the very simple reason that he is experiencing the phenomenon of thought. The source of this individual existence can be God, or nature, or whatever but that is beside the point of Cogito ergo sum. The point is that I exist... simply.

Obviously I'm not disagreeing that we have an ability to acknowledg our existence ,What I,m stressing is that it is impossible to perform any thing without being first .I will understand ......"I think because I am but then ....it may be the way I've learned English,no big deal .

Last edited: