Christian Bible Banned Beijing Olympics

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I put this in Philosophy because I feel it is more than a religious issue....rather one of human rights.

Three things I have noticed in the past few days:

Beijing Olympic Committee has refused bringing in any Bibles to the Olympic Games in 2008, either personal by visitors, or handed out by groups, or belonging to the athletes themselves;

There is a list of non-acceptable items published by the Committee, the Qu'ran is not among those items - the only religious symbol is the Christian Bible;

The news media has ignored the story completely.

I am not a practicing religious zealot and prefer to follow my own brand of belief system which seems to be outside all formal religions as I know them, but the thought of denial of others' beliefs seems a step into religious anarchy. Even Communism recognizes religions whether they approve or not.

The Olympic Games is one of the few last remaining human rights displays we have on a global basis, and while it is steadily becoming politicized, it remains the best we have for the young of the nations.

Athletics have always remained to me a way for nations to excel, have heros and join together in competing with each other without a shot being fired. It appears there are rules now regarding the 'personal beliefs' of some competitors and it gives me concern.

Are we revisiting the 1936 Games and have we come no farther in our acceptance of each other?

Is this a non issue? Or ?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I would say definitely an issue. One I will now look into. Had never heard about it before.

I am surprised quite frankly that the Christians have not been vocal about this. Especially the right winged fundamentalists. Perhaps it is a behind the scenes negotiation at this point because there is no way Christian athletes will accept this.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Hi Sal

Ya the symbolism frightens me..... the Bible...what next? Are they trying to start some kind of confrontation tied in with the Olympics when that event has been able to remain pacific in most countries who host it....

Well Berlin in 1936 and the 1972 Munich bombing.....

I guess nothing is sacred any more (secularly sacred in that I meant vitally important to a culture of some - not all - but should be honored nevertheless because the Olympics are supposed to transcend bigotry...in this case not so).

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
According to this story, all religious items will be banned from the Oympic village "for security reasons". Visitors to China will not be allowed to bring more than one of the bible each.
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58544

China's leaders view all religions as cults, and they are particularly suspicious of cults led by foreigners.. i.e. the Pope.

I searched China's news agency for information and found this related article:

BEIJING, Oct. 17 (Xinhua) -- China will offer religious services for foreigners arriving for the 2008 Olympic Games, an official in charge of religious affairs said on Wednesday.

"A large number of religious faithful will be arriving for the Games," said Ye Xiaowen, director of the State Administration of Religious Affairs, at a briefing during the 17th National Congress of the Communist Party of China.
China is working on religious facilities at its Olympic venues with the help of the International Olympic Committee and referring to the practices at previous Games, he said. "Our religious services will be up to the previous standards."
Ye also dismissed allegations that China restricted the printing and sale of Bibles, which he said receive state subsidies and other preferential policies.
China, with 16 million Protestant Christians, has printed 42 million Bibles, he said. "We distribute the Bible only through churches and do not allow ordinary bookstores to sell them," he said. "This is aimed only at preventing illegal vendors from driving up prices."
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-10/18/content_6898470.htm

Reactions: karrie

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Thank you Earth

There is so little other than sketchy and biased reports - I just didn't know what to believe - and am amazed the media aren't over this like ants at a picnic.... but then this kind of story doesn't seem to be a house burning item of interest like Brittney Spears' latest epic...

We will continue to ignore more and more rights taken away from us until there are very few and we can probably remind ourselves of them all engraved on a ring in our noses by which we are led.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
From the Romainans and Russians to Americans and others, the day that anabolic steroids were used to wrest an advantage, the olympics ceased to be about sportsmanship, one of those "sacred" values...

To both the woe and delight of many nations, the olympics is simply another marketting celebration where corporations hawk their logos and their wares to as many as can be duped into buying them. While third-world sweatshops embroider logos on caps and shirts, to be sold to the patrons of the games, any "spirituality" or at least humanitarian significance once thought inherent to the olympic games is reduced to yet another fantasy.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I am not a practicing religious zealot and prefer to follow my own brand of belief system which seems to be outside all formal religions as I know them, but the thought of denial of others' beliefs seems a step into religious anarchy.

Well, why not remind the Christians of this, in the first place?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The Olympics have become as political as anything else on this sad little blue planet. Chinese law doesn't recognize religion. Seems odd that we'll kick the Lords Prayer out of schools, erase Christ from Christmas and turn our backs on the founding Faith to appease immigrant populations, yet the thought of a Christian Bible being shunned in a land where we don't control the rules raises eyebrows here....

Woof!

Philo Cojones

Aug 28, 2007
what does religion have to do with the Olympics?

either way, if we expect people to recognize our laws when they come here, then we should do the same. And, it looks as though they're not banning it at all... just one bible per person. more than likely just a measure to keep people from spreading the word within the country. they're not sayuing "you're not allowed to practice here", only "you're not allowed to spread the word of god here".

the media probably hasn't grabbed a hold of it because it's not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
By the way, the link I posted is the official Chinese version of the truth and like most official government information.... it is propaganda.

China does not have freedom of religion. Evangelizing is dificult to impossible to do legally. Bibles can only be acquired from churches, not book stores... Chinese authorities consider religions a threat, especially "Falun Gong" which has been driven underground.

China's authorities want to be play the role of gracious host. Religious worship could be a contentious area for them. I doubt any athletes will be denied the right to practice their religion while at the Olympics. Chinese authorities would probably take a dim view on anyone (including athletes) trying to use the Olympics as a means to gain converts to their religion.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
you defiantly will not be allowed to wear a Dalai Lama tshirt...or carry the Tibetan flag or wear it as a fashion statement.....

i wonder if that guy who always holds up that John.19.10 whatever poster will be allowed.....

this thing is turning into a huge nightmare in some aspects for china and a huge benefit for human rights and enviormentalists....

good thing to bring up Curio

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
what does religion have to do with the Olympics?

either way, if we expect people to recognize our laws when they come here, then we should do the same. And, it looks as though they're not banning it at all... just one bible per person. more than likely just a measure to keep people from spreading the word within the country. they're not sayuing "you're not allowed to practice here", only "you're not allowed to spread the word of god here".

the media probably hasn't grabbed a hold of it because it's not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

they wanted into the united nations and now the world bank...basic freedoms are charter in both

Northboy

Electoral Member
I put this in Philosophy because I feel it is more than a religious issue....rather one of human rights.

Three things I have noticed in the past few days:

Beijing Olympic Committee has refused bringing in any Bibles to the Olympic Games in 2008, either personal by visitors, or handed out by groups, or belonging to the athletes themselves;

There is a list of non-acceptable items published by the Committee, the Qu'ran is not among those items - the only religious symbol is the Christian Bible;

The news media has ignored the story completely.

I am not a practicing religious zealot and prefer to follow my own brand of belief system which seems to be outside all formal religions as I know them, but the thought of denial of others' beliefs seems a step into religious anarchy. Even Communism recognizes religions whether they approve or not.

The Olympic Games is one of the few last remaining human rights displays we have on a global basis, and while it is steadily becoming politicized, it remains the best we have for the young of the nations.

Athletics have always remained to me a way for nations to excel, have heros and join together in competing with each other without a shot being fired. It appears there are rules now regarding the 'personal beliefs' of some competitors and it gives me concern.

Are we revisiting the 1936 Games and have we come no farther in our acceptance of each other?

Is this a non issue? Or ?

They're just playing the "Shame Game"....

You know, big Face at home showing the merits of their "system" by poking the US in the eye....

You guys forget, before 911 Mr. Bush and them had a tussle over spying or some sort of thing....And the US won the "Battle"....This was a loss of Face....and you don't want to do that to the Chinese....

Its a big world out there and a lot of old grudges are going to be played out in the near future....

Let the Chinese win this one....

Reactions: karrie

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Northboy

Of course the Chinese as host nation can make whatever rules they wish - I have no objection to that but for something as personal as a Bible which is a passive method of worship... a symbol as much as some other objects of worship in other religions....

It isn't all about poking the U.S.in the eye at all - this is a worldwide dictate for all participating nations.

Christianity is worldwide as is the Olympic movement - I thought the two might enjoy the peaceful attention of the rest of the planet through sportsmanship and competition.

Not so if they are going to dictate human rights issues - and I believe a person's personal worship symbol (in this case a personal Bible) should be overlooked.

It is moot anyway as some writers here are saying the Bibles are going to be allowed and that I have heard it incorrectly.

My apologies for bringing it up for discussion. Obviously it is unimportant here.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
I hear they approved this one...

Reactions: Zzarchov and karrie

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well, I think it's a good subject you brought up Curio. If not for the sake of the rumors you heard, for what the near future might bring in news. Evangelicals treat the Olympic events as a great opportunity to get the message out. While China bans open proselytizing, often teachers or other foreign nationals can do so privately.

The Olympics had some time ago experienced an image overhaul. This parallels the overhaul China is trying I believe. With the world watching them, it will be a test of sorts. The Chinese have been working hard to train professionals for the 200 expected drug tests that will be performed each day, a significant increase from the Athens Olympics. Who knows, perhaps China could help buck the trend of embarrassing positive tests. China will show the world how tempered they can be and perhaps help the Olympics to regain some credibility. That's a long shot maybe, but that's the dream of the Olympics anyways;)

Northboy

Electoral Member
why they poison the food chains...the toys and what ever yer buying from there is suspect...not to mention occupied Tibet and the continual butchering of people

Exactly,

You don't want to jump at the bait when there's serious moves afoot....

Watch the Chinese and what they do with their US holdings....Major purchases....Strategic moves,etc.etc.etc while the world is all ag-gg-a over something like this....

Bait the Fish and the gut it with a knife....

Sometimes you have to think like kings....

Nope, I'd pass on this bit of deflection and take a good look around....

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Enhanced with new inspirational stories of moral relativism ...

Sounds like something the Log Cabin Republicans and Larry Craig would find to be most apropos!:lol: