The desire to imitate .

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
The desire to follow, to imitate, to be loyal, which prevails in the world at large, is the antithesis of understanding. You all want to be free, but freedom can only be achieved when you are above loyalty, above the desire to imitate,above the desire to be attached to the thoughts of another.Even among cultured people there is the tendency to reduce all ideas to form, to some definite and concrete pattern and then to reproduce that concreteness in themselves. The only way to step beyond this stage of limitation, which in its essence is mediocrity, is to aim at true freedom.
Most people think that freedom means to be able to do just what they please; but true freedom does not imply lack of discipline, or restraint and control.Permit me for a moment, I will take my own example. I have always wanted to be free,that's one of the reasons for leaving High School ;I did not want to be like everyone else in my school. And I think I am now free from the circles that have been drawn around me, that is, the circumstances around me. Everyone, in his life, has certain special circumstances, which force him, urge him to mold himself to a particular pattern. I think genius is ( I,m not implying anything) a person who frees himself from those circumstances,and grows beyond them. As I wanted to be free, I had to watch all the time what circles were being drawn round me. It is very easy to follow, to be loyal to someone else,it is easy to say...."well, this is what Maslow says" and be loyal to his thoughts , but it is much more difficult to be loyal to oneself . It seems to me that the spirit of mediocrity can only be conquered if everyone tries all the time to struggle, to put aside those influences, which urge him to conform, and to mold himself to a pattern.
Your thoughts, as always.

Last edited:

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Ah, one of the true struggles of life. In some cases we absolutely need to "toe the line" or face the possibility of becoming a pariah, and for some we can not be the people we choose to be with the stigma of pariah attached. The aim is to find the balance that allows one to conform to a certain standard to be considered normal (not subject to social boycotting) but without sacrificing our individuality.

Conformity is widely viewed with derision from people of all walks of life, each pointing their fingers at others. When can anyone righteously deny that another's choice was not legitimate? If my parents pushed me into medicine, should I not become a doctor even though I enjoy the self-sacrifice and humanity of that profession simply because it would be conformity? Thinking outside the box has become the new norm, ironically.

daisygirl

Electoral Member
May 28, 2007
Ontario
Yes, but in thinking outside of the box, we do, in the end, conform. Why? Because as Niflmir said, it becomes the norm.
In our rebellions, conformity takes over so in the end we all conform.
You consider yourself free because you dropped out of high school? So do the many, many others that also did the same thing. How totally unoriginal.
I have read your ideas on here and you tend to get angry if someone disagrees with you. So no one if allowed to have an original idea except for you? That is how dictators think and that is not true freedom.
In the end, whether we like it or not, we all conform...some to a greater degree than others, but we all do in some way or manner.

Last edited:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Free in the context you use it is hardly what everyone wants. It's natural to liken ones self to the things we desire.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Someone once said that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. I think it is natural to liken one's self to one who we admire. Conformity can be a part of belonging that satisfies a need. Forced conformity is a cage.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Someone once said that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. I think it is natural to liken one's self to one who we admire. Conformity can be a part of belonging that satisfies a need. Forced conformity is a cage.

Mimicry is a "natural" component of the life-dynamic. For example, when a successful adaptation is made to an environment a circumstance or a condition, "success" strongly suggests that taking-on those attributes that yield success is prudent. But the utility of voluntary subscription to an idea or a belief is limited by the vagaries of chance. Social organizing principles are efforts by society to induce and/or cultivate an environment (society/culture) conducive to "successful" existence. Re-working and designing perception and perspective to achieve wealth and power through economics politics and religion at best serve only a limited number of organisms and are fleeting notions at best. Civilizations have come and gone, and from nature we can learn that all adaptation and mimicry isn't successful over the long term.

The more critical nuance to the benefits or advantages accruing through mimicry is the definition of "success".....

Give it a go Juan...what does a "successful" social organizing principle, society/culture or ideology look-like..? :)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Mimicry is like an echo.

We mimic others growing up, sounding the sounds of our elders.

Here on this board we like those who sound like us. We are looking for validation.
Isolation kills.

We are tuning forks.
That's nicely put. We do look for validation and the type of validation we look for also mimics what we have been given in the past... what we know.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Sal

But what do we "know"?

Do we "know" that our behavior has led us to the brink of disaster time and time again and then "knowing" this, do we repeat this behavior or do we adapt to reality?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I find it funny that by writing this piece China, you've drawn a new circle of expectation for those reading it, and in attempting to be a non-conformist, they would in a way simply be following those other non-conformists they've heard speak, or have admired.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie...:)

I'll bet you have a tattoo to express your individuality don't you...;)

ha... nope. I'm not an individualist. I'm a truly tribal creature, a conformist to the bone. I'm an incredibly family oriented people pleaser, and don't mind saying it :smile:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Good for you Karrie

My temple is perfect as well... unadorned by tribal symbolisms and ...oh wait now...isn't the history of body adornment directly related to tribalism....

I'm so confused...;)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I have a tattoo waiting... one I'd like to get. But it's not about individuality. It's about memoralizing. In this day and age tattoos are the norm, so I definitely don't feel like a 'rebel' getting one. lol.

Good for you Karrie

My temple is perfect as well... unadorned by tribal symbolisms and ...oh wait now...isn't the history of body adornment directly related to tribalism....

I'm so confused...;)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Sal

But what do we "know"?

Morning Mikey. I'm not sure what you are asking here so...sorry if I go off the rails but here goes.

I think we 'know" what we see and can analyse and decide as to its success. That's why I think mimicry is a successful adaptive behaviour. So is conformity.

From cave times conformity was rewarded. It was rewarded because individuality was death. They survived in packs. We still survive in packs. We live in cities beside rivers. As a group we make it possible to be an "individual" because of the now sophistication of our "pack".

Conformity for many is life. Meaning and self actualization can only come after basic needs are met.

Can one individual go off and do their own thing. Sure. But there must be basic order first in order for the masses to survive and thrive.

Do we "know" that our behavior has led us to the brink of disaster time and time again and then "knowing" this, do we repeat this behavior or do we adapt to reality
Do you mean as a society or as individuals? For I think the answer would vary.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Mimicry is a "natural" component of the life-dynamic. For example, when a successful adaptation is made to an environment a circumstance or a condition, "success" strongly suggests that taking-on those attributes that yield success is prudent. But the utility of voluntary subscription to an idea or a belief is limited by the vagaries of chance. Social organizing principles are efforts by society to induce and/or cultivate an environment (society/culture) conducive to "successful" existence. Re-working and designing perception and perspective to achieve wealth and power through economics politics and religion at best serve only a limited number of organisms and are fleeting notions at best. Civilizations have come and gone, and from nature we can learn that all adaptation and mimicry isn't successful over the long term.

The more critical nuance to the benefits or advantages accruing through mimicry is the definition of "success".....

Give it a go Juan...what does a "successful" social organizing principle, society/culture or ideology look-like..? :)

The key Mikey, is "successful". It is hard to argue with success. Success is what people strive to mimic. Hell, it's a survival trait.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I'm still waiting for somone to provide me with an assessment of humanity that expresses "success"...
Is "success" simply living longer to consumer more? Is success establishing credoes and social constructs that generate competativeness...that may lead to wonderful things like starvation, slavery, world wars, mass destruction of the planetary ecosystem, bigotry hate and prejudice, wherein is this success that mimicry establishes so firmly....?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I'm still waiting for somone to provide me with an assessment of humanity that expresses "success"...
Is "success" simply living longer to consumer more? Is success establishing credoes and social constructs that generate competativeness...that may lead to wonderful things like starvation, slavery, world wars, mass destruction of the planetary ecosystem, bigotry hate and prejudice, wherein is this success that mimicry establishes so firmly....?

Wait no more Mickey, the fact that you and the rest of us still have a voice is success. It ain't much but it's everything.