Self-deception.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
[FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times][FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Food, clothing and shelter -- these are the basic needs. Beyond that, if you want anything, it is the beginning of self-deception.[/FONT][/FONT]

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Those do not even meet ones basic needs. I see Maslows as more definite.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
[FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times][FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Food, clothing and shelter -- these are the basic needs. Beyond that, if you want anything, it is the beginning of self-deception.[/FONT][/FONT]

What about love?

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary

I guess I really don't want to go rollerblading or skating I'm just fooling myself? Damn, my skates broke but I don't really want a new pair now do I?

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary

Where does the computer your typing on fit into your basic needs?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

The computer board or your skates aren't "basic" or central to your survival. So China is saying in order to actually survive all you need are food clothing and shelter. That is true. It is all we need. BUT he throws a twist into the equation when he adds....everything beyond those 3 things are the beginning of self-deception.

I don't agree with that part of the equation. And so thus for me it invalidates his first sentence.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
s243a,

I guess I really don't want to go rollerblading or skating I'm just fooling myself? Damn, my skates broke but I don't really want a new pair now do I?
I wouldn't worry about the skates ,it's not the only thing that broke.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
s243a

I can tell you but I don't think you will understand.
You see I'm in business and a computer is a tool in my business , another words.... I WORK. I know that that's a foreign word in Canada.You see I pay for my clothing food and shelter ....the government here in China doesn't supply these things ,this is not Canada ,this is a real world mister, not an illusion.

Last edited:

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
s243a

You see I'm in business and a computer is a tool in my business , another words.... I WORK. I know that that's a foreign word in Canada.You see I pay for my clothing food and shelter ....the government here in China doesn't supply these things ,this is not Canada ,this is a real world mister, not an illusion.

Believe it or not some people work in Canada. As a matter of fact employment is high right now. The comforting thing is if due to a disability I am not able to work the government will look after my basic needs.

Sent from a computer that is a tool in my business in the real world.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
China, what is with the bashing of Canadians? This is not the first time you have done this, either. I work my ass off at work, as do the majority of other Canadians.

Also, you seem to belittle every other poster in this thread. Why is that?

And I do not think love is a self-deception. If all you had in the world was food, clothing, and shelter, that would be a stark, lonely world indeed.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
The computer board or your skates aren't "basic" or central to your survival. So China is saying in order to actually survive all you need are food clothing and shelter. That is true. It is all we need. BUT he throws a twist into the equation when he adds....everything beyond those 3 things are the beginning of self-deception.

I don't agree with that part of the equation. And so thus for me it invalidates his first sentence.

The last part of his paragraph said "want" not need. Surely people want things beyond what they need to survive. In my opinion only having what you need to survive is a pretty miserable life.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
s243a

Is this not also self deception? You state that one only needs food, shelter and clothing. All else is the beginning of self-deception. Your job, your computer, these aren't the basic needs. You could supply the basic needs yourself, many people do this. Though I doubt it is what you would want. If you can lie to yourself that indeed you do need to work in a business for someone else's profit to provide yourself with such basic needs, then that is as you said, self-deception.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
[FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times][FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]

That would depend on what the desirable result is you want. If you provide the "basic" needs as you believe them to be to a child and provide nothing further you end up with a stunted, underdeveloped mentally challenged human being who is unable to survive on their own.

Basic needs would therefore include education, love, and touch.
[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:

triedit

inimitable
I believe that faith of some kind, whether it is in yourself or in a higher or power or whatever, is a basic need. Without faith (which brings hope and love) you have no sense of self, no NEED to continue to live, no urge to pursue even the basics.