What is Maturity?

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
The idea came up in another thread.
Something I would see China posting, no offense, its my attempt for a compliment.
Your Ideas of what Maturity should be.
Lets see how far it goes.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Maturity is feeling comfortable in your own skin and being willing to meet the basic family and community commitments expected of you.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
maturity is age-of-mind. different people use it to mean different things. some people believe it means the inability to have fun. Some people feel it means as tamarin said (which i think is a good definition), others feel it just means age.

I think we should use the word with care. Childish (i'm assuming childish is the opposite of mature, a synonym to immature) often isnt bad. A child has imagination and often better lateral thinking than a traditionally "mature" person. it's important to recognise such abstract concepts as responsibility and self-worth, but at the same time there are elements of childishness we shouldn't lose, and so we shouldn't insist that "maturity" is desirable without being specific about what exactly it is we desire.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
hows this for short
the serenity to accept what you can't change ,the ability to change what you can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
El Barto... it can be next to impossible to explain to a blind person, what it's like to see a red rose. Or to explain to someone who can't swim, what it feels like to cut through the ocean in long strong strokes. So how on earth do you expect us to explain maturity to you?

*ducks for cover*

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
There are so many things I think being mature entails. Biologically it's the age when you can reproduce.

For what most of us mean when we say mature, theres lots of wiggle room for a working definition. To me being mature means you're responsible and most importantly understand and accept the consequences of your actions, have shown a level of independance, humbly admit when you are wrong and can work with those you don't necessarilly respect or like, at least within reason.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
El Barto... it can be next to impossible to explain to a blind person, what it's like to see a red rose. Or to explain to someone who can't swim, what it feels like to cut through the ocean in long strong strokes. So how on earth do you expect us to explain maturity to you?

*ducks for cover*
i'd kiss you for being so cute

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I like that Herm, but there is a diference between childish and childlike. Childish would, IMO, indicate a lack of maturity. Whereas childlike is more the freedom of imagination and playfulness we all seem to want to hold on to.:smile:

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary

*ducks for cover*
I liked Al Barto’s quote :).

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
maturity is age-of-mind. different people use it to mean different things. some people believe it means the inability to have fun. Some people feel it means as tamarin said (which i think is a good definition), others feel it just means age.

I think we should use the word with care. Childish (i'm assuming childish is the opposite of mature, a synonym to immature) often isnt bad. A child has imagination and often better lateral thinking than a traditionally "mature" person. it's important to recognise such abstract concepts as responsibility and self-worth, but at the same time there are elements of childishness we shouldn't lose, and so we shouldn't insist that "maturity" is desirable without being specific about what exactly it is we desire.
You said exactly what I was thinking. My sister always use to say you don’t act like a _ year old. When we grow up we start to control our words and behavior more to make things pleasant for others but it comes so at our own expense. Singing, laughing joking and carrying on are things not everyone can do with great sophistication.

To me, too much emphasis is placed on how well polished someone is and we miss the most important thing. We miss the fun, we miss the freedom, we miss the imagination. We worry about making the wrong step or saying the wrong thing.

One thing we forget as we grow older is in order to be creative we must have no fear of making mistakes. In sports in order to learn fast we must have no fear of falling. When I was young and learning to ski I use to flail my arms everywhere but I could ski anything and had no fear of falling. No “mature” parson would learn to ski in this way.

I am 27 years old. I still love to dance. I still love to ski and I love to roller blade. When I got to the skate park in Calgary there are very few people there that are my age. Why rush to be mature? Time flies like a rocket as it is.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I was talking about the person inside silly.......;-)

lol. okay, enough highjacking your thread.

I've been called 'mature' almost all of my life, and have never truly understood what it meant people thought of me.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
lol. okay, enough highjacking your thread.

I've been called 'mature' almost all of my life, and have never truly understood what it meant people thought of me.
Oh Karrie I see a playful yet reserved person. I think its wonderful to see that side of you.