Dreams and imagination

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
It has recently come to me, that over the last two or three years I have practically stopped dreaming. I don't mean the dreams that we see when we sleep, but rather the things we imagine, just for the fun of it. I used to be a great dreamer ever since I was a child. And the things, events and people that figured in my imaginings were a very important part of my life. And then, gradually, it just stopped. I don't dream any more. I make plans, I think about ways to realize them, I try to foresee the situations that can arise in my life, but that is not the same thing. And I am wondering - is it a part of finally maturing (and it's about time, for sure :)), or am I finally so comfortable in my life, that I don't need this means of escape any more?
What part does imagination play in your lives? Just how important is it for you?

Reactions: karrie

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
....And I am wondering - is it a part of finally maturing (and it's about time, for sure :)), or am I finally so comfortable in my life, that I don't need this means of escape any more?
What part does imagination play in your lives? Just how important is it for you?

Theory on the WHY's of dreaming are so varied, it's hard to say exactly why one would start or stop recalling dreams. I've gone through months at a time of not recalling a single dream, to suddenly have bursts of lengthy, epic dreams. My fave is when a dream from one night seems continued the following night. I think I find the imagination they imply to be intriguing, but not important. Just, a neat bonus I suppose.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I've never let those kind of dreams go Vereya. In our planned, structured and rational lives we need the time to be a child and let our imagination make it's own story. I find it's the only way to keep my stress at bay. I take a mental heath day from work, not easy I have my own bussiness, and let my mind wander. It is cleansing. Even if I only get a few hours to myself I always feel better.:)

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
It has recently come to me, that over the last two or three years I have practically stopped dreaming. I don't mean the dreams that we see when we sleep, but rather the things we imagine, just for the fun of it. I used to be a great dreamer ever since I was a child. And the things, events and people that figured in my imaginings were a very important part of my life. And then, gradually, it just stopped. I don't dream any more. I make plans, I think about ways to realize them, I try to foresee the situations that can arise in my life, but that is not the same thing. And I am wondering - is it a part of finally maturing (and it's about time, for sure :)), or am I finally so comfortable in my life, that I don't need this means of escape any more?

Great subject Vereya!

Are you actually saying you don't have ANY dreams or any hopes for the future? If so, I'd guess you must be very satisfied with your life and good for you if you are!

Are you a creative person? If so, isn't there some things you fantasize you could do? Why not try to do them?

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Call me a dreamer. Ever since I can remember my first thought I was dreaming it was better. My favorite dream is winning the lottery. Whose life would I change? Not mine lol Im so perfect in where Im at. Id buy this property and give the front house to my youngest, Id rebuild my sis' house, Id buy homes for all my friends.........I love dreaming :)

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
The idea of no longer dreaming kinda scares me. It's not just an escape from everyday life, it's a catalyst for my imagination.. any idea I think up or come across I imediately start dreaming about... the possbilities, the consequences, etc. So much of who I am is a product of what I've dreamt about, and I pray that I never lose that ability.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Great subject Vereya!
Are you actually saying you don't have ANY dreams or any hopes for the future? If so, I'd guess you must be very satisfied with your life and good for you if you are!
Are you a creative person? If so, isn't there some things you fantasize you could do? Why not try to do them?

Well, I do have hopes and plans for the future. But these are real things, I mean have ways to make them come true, I can plan them. It's not like Self-activated said - winning the lottery. Now that is something to dream of, not to plan.

I am no longer interested in dreaming of things that I know will remain dreams forever. It used to be very important to me, but it is not so any longer. I just stopped getting the fun of it. The strange thing is that I don't feel that I am lacking something. It's kind of like I got more energy to devote to plans, that can actually come true.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
My imagination has a mind of its own ..................hmmmmm
Some of my dreams i remember of are years old, and a few when I was four.
Some of them are ,well of things are almost prophetic.
Dreams usually show you how you would react in strange situations. It kinda shows you your character.
I remember a lot of them , but there's times when they are far in between.
I'm a carpenter and I've seen things in my dreams that I would love to build one day.
I have strange furniture ideas I would love to do.
I love getting lost in my imagination when I'm focused on something.