Be born---everyday.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Is it not essential that there should be a constant renewal, a rebirth? If the present is burdened with the experience of yesterday there can be no renewal. Renewal is not the action of birth and death; it is beyond the opposites; only freedom from the accumulation of memory brings renewal, and there is no understanding save in the present.The mind can understand the present only if it does not compare, judge; the desire to alter or condemn the present without understanding it gives continuance to the past. Only in comprehending the reflection of the past in the mirror of the present, without distortion, is there renewal.If you have lived an experience fully, completely, have you not found that it leaves no traces behind? It is only the incomplete experiences that leave their mark, giving continuity to self-identified memory. We consider the present as a means to an end, so the present loses its immense significance. The present is the eternal. But how can a mind that is made up, put together, understand that which is not put together, which is beyond all value, the eternal?As each experience arises, live it out as fully and deeply as possible; think it out, feel it out extensively and profoundly; be aware of its pain and pleasure, of your judgments and identifications. Only when experience is completed is there a renewal. We must be capable of living the four seasons in a day; to be keenly aware, to experience, to understand and be free of the gatherings of each day.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Please tell me why you think you're the same person when you wake up as you were when you went to sleep.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i think, therefore i am, i think roughly the same in the morning as i do at night so for my own sanity i will assume i am the same as i was.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
MikeyDB
Please tell me why you think you're the same person when you wake up as you were when you went to sleep______________________
The answer is in the post .But,please tell me why don't you think you are the same person?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
China

I didn’t say that I didn’t believe that I’m the same person when I awake as when I went to sleep, I asked how does one know upon waking that you are the same person you were when you went to sleep. We all know without external referral who we are without opening our eyes after sleeping because our psycho-physiological make-up preserves the sense of who we are whether we’re “conscious” or not. While the sleep state is somewhat different than unconsciousness, the process of self-referral is a condition maintained by our body and mind to preserve the continuity of being.

“If the present is burdened with the experience of yesterday there can be no renewal.”

Healthy human beings integrate experience as ‘awareness’ and the experience of being is intimately and irrevocably bound to the awareness of self as well.

What do you imagine existence to be.. given: “But how can a mind that is made up, put together, understand that which is not put together, which is beyond all value, the eternal?”

We don’t have minds that are “made-up or put together” any more than the universe is “made-up or put together”. We are native, and intrinsic element within the essence of “being”..of existence. The experience of non-existence is a memory none of us has. We don’t remember and can’t recall the nature of existence before we were born as subjective notion, but it’s a safe bet that the world as we know it now..after our birth…. after our awakening… existed long before we exist. Unless… one believes that some gossamer essence of the non-corporeal imbues the corporeal with the experience of existence as epiphenomenon.

If the essence of what it is to “be” (ontologists argue this kind of thing all the time…) has always existed….the spirit of “being” {the foundation of spirituality}, a ‘potential awareness’ of the condition of “being” existing without substance without form but somehow “present” in the universe, it is this spark this culmination of necessity and chance of opportunity and inevitablity that blossoms into “being” out of “non-being”.

Our journey through this experience of existence is an interrelationship with the temporal, a dance of senses and sensibilities that serve that purpose…the purposes of the temporal which provides a foil lending meaning to the eternal. Eternity exists as eternity because temporality exists within that eternity. Or if one chooses to regard this notion as implausible,perhaps the idea that we are eternal beings the moment we ‘become’….will be more satisfactory.

You can explore Hegel, Kierkegaard, Heidegger many philosophers of the western traditions to expand your perspective. Existentialism is.

Renewal…re-birth as concept or notion is mechanism employed by those seeking…to those uncommitted to acknowledging the nature of what it is to be. This idea presents a different perspective on the same theme as the Christian baptism or the ritual of re-birth practiced by some religions as Schopenhauer described it, as a method whereby the temporality of human existence is bound to the eternal.

For those available to acknowledging the the nature of what it is to be…no renewal or re-birth is required looked-for or anticipated…

How can there be rebirth without the prerequisite of the existence of a construct of being?

And by the way birth and death aren’t opposites, they are the same thing, merely moments on a journey….

It’s an opinion yes, a brief foray into the sometimes quixotic relativism of ontology but it’s yours and you’re welcome to make of it what you would..

By the way my brain has blown up on me three times so if my contribution seems obscure or unfathomable…remember I’m not firing on all cylinders…

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
i think, therefore i am, i think roughly the same in the morning as i do at night so for my own sanity i will assume i am the same as i was.

Hey Herm

Sounds like you're in a rut...

You know what a rut is don't you?

A rut is a grave with the ends kicked out...

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
MikeyDB: I didn’t say that I didn’t believe that I’m the same person when I awake as when I went to sleep, I asked how does one know upon waking that you are the same person you were when you went to sleep. ______________________________________________________________,...........look in the mirror ,it doesn't lie

MikeyDB:“If the present is burdened with the experience of yesterday there can be no renewal.”

The past is dead and obviously you can't have any kind of renewal or anything else in dead ashes of yesterday ,past

MikeyDB: We don’t have minds that are “made-up or put together” any more than the universe is “made-up or put together”. _____________________________________________________

(I don't agree with you Mikey ,we are the authors of our mind/brain , we are the ones who build our ego ,we are the ones building an image of ourself and others .Most of our brain(25%) is a second hand garbage and yes we are the ones who "made up"/put tougheter the content of our brain.

MikeyDB;You can explore Hegel, Kierkegaard, Heidegger many philosophers of the western traditions to expand your perspective. Existentialism is._______________________________

Well.,reading others you will learn about their points of view,their,belives and their opnions ,their lifes and thats their Truth .But you have to find your own truth MickeyDB not according to sombody else.You have to enquire int yourself Mikey and you have to become your own teacher and a student.There is no other way .But again dont belive what I say .Hope you dont.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Then why do you think anyone should read what you have to say? Perhaps you're so fixed in your view..your perception of the world that renewal for you is impossible.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
China, you obviously have a great deal of time on your hands. The devil's workshop you wander in is canoodling with your head.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
MikeyDB:
Then why do you think anyone should read what you have to say? Perhaps you're so fixed in your view..your perception of the world that renewal for you is impossible_________________________________________

Obviusly no one has to read my posts...(.you have ) but if they do I hope that in their wisdom they realize that the post is not any sort of an authority,but rather it is way I hope to show the way to the same which is within ones self.

Perhaps you're so fixed in your view..your perception of the world that renewal for you is impossible_________________________________________

The perception of the world it's tradition, the accumulation of experience, the ashes of memory, that make the mind old. The mind that dies every day to the memories of yesterday, to all the joys and sorrows of the past--such a mind is fresh, innocent, it has no age;it is renewing itself .
Is a renewal of my mind impossible;Ihave no reson to concern my self with it.

Last edited: