Is our planet alive?

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
The Earth gave us life. Does not something have to be alive to produce life. And saying a decaying piece of meat being food to maggots is saying we are parasites feeding on the earth. Or a stagnant pool being a breeding ground for mossies. I would like to think we are better than maggots feeding on a dead thing or a bug breeding in a stagnant pool.

The Earth is our mother, the seas her womb. The sun is our father that created the tides and gave rise to creatures that had to breathe air during low tide.

I'm pagan and have no problem with the idea of Gaia.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I wouldn't say that the planet is alive, but is is an essential component of the eco-systems which sustain all life. For that reason we should treat it as we would treat any life form as we are dependant on it to sustain what life we have here. Any form of agriculture for example requires the manager to control all aspects of whatever system it is they are fostering. That includes both biotic and abiotic factors. Also micro and macro components. These can be living or non-living. Further, if you think that life sprang up on this rock through a process like abiogenesis, then you do not need a living entity to produce living organisms.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Let's see.... it has a circulatory system. It has a pulse. It's currently running a fever.

Seems pretty alive to me. But for how much longer?

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
The Earth gave us life. Does not something have to be alive to produce life. And saying a decaying piece of meat being food to maggots is saying we are parasites feeding on the earth. Or a stagnant pool being a breeding ground for mossies. I would like to think we are better than maggots feeding on a dead thing or a bug breeding in a stagnant pool.

The Earth is our mother, the seas her womb. The sun is our father that created the tides and gave rise to creatures that had to breathe air during low tide.

I'm pagan and have no problem with the idea of Gaia.

I dont think I could have said it any better ........Ditto

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I dont think I could have said it any better ........Ditto

in the spirit of curiosity, how do the pagans link the sun to the tide? When Rom posted it first, I passed it off as a mistake, but, now I'm wondering if it wasn't. I'd love to learn more.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
in the spirit of curiosity, how do the pagans link the sun to the tide? When Rom posted it first, I passed it off as a mistake, but, now I'm wondering if it wasn't. I'd love to learn more.

I didnt see the connection. But in my belief system the moon (goddess) is the KEEPER of the tides. Great Spirit (sun) Created it all. I work on two main belief systems Wiccan/Shaman. Paganism has many beliefs so depending on the individual what their beliefs are. I cant speak for Rom but thats my belief.

[edit] Pagan classifications

Pagan subdivisions coined by Isaac Bonewits [1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paganism

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
If we go on with the idea that the Earth might be alive (I mean truly alive!), then could the Earth eventually react against humans if they become a true menace to the global ecosystem?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
If we go on with the idea that the Earth might be alive (I mean truly alive!), then could the Earth eventually react against humans if they become a true menace to the global ecosystem?

Well you sort of took the words out of my mouth...sort of.

If the earth were alive, it would have vomitted humans out centuries ago.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
We should make some time capsules and fill them with dirty technology and messages on what not to do so that a million/billion years if there are sentient life forms they won't repeat our repeated mistakes.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
We should make some time capsules and fill them with dirty technology and messages on what not to do so that a million/billion years if there are sentient life forms they won't repeat our repeated mistakes.

It won't matter... the sun will expand in its natural life cycle and bake the earth to a crisp before any other civilization has time to emerge.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Im going to leave two post for you. This is Mary Summer Rain she is a Canadian Shaman.

‘The Phoenix Chronicles’

Contractions/Econonomics Aspects

Massive blue collar strikes
Relocation of key factories overseas
Computerization of factories
Extended import/export embargoes/ taxations
Increased unemployment
Widespread factory shutdowns
Excessive taxation
Small business failures
Insolvency of many banks
Stock Market misdealings/dedine
Drastic construction decline
Devaluation of real estate
Increase in corporate crime
Drop in level of manufactured goods
Increase of corporate monopolies/takeovers
Increase in persona] bankruptcies
Widespread layoffs
Runaway credit purchases
Cash as only accepted tender

Emerging/Natural Disasters

Major devastation in California
Earthquakes in new areas
Inactive craters become unsettled
Mountains become unstable
Return of the dust bowl
Record-breaking flooding
Tornados increase intensity and occasion
Liquefaction of soil beneath faults
Intensified hurricane devastation
Freak wind gusts/accidents
Soil erosion
Increased radon levels
Rock/mud slides
Insect infestation
Sink holes
Rapid temperature inversions
Frigid winters/deadly blizzards
Summer storms with intensified hail/lightning
Seeping natural gas (fires/explosions)
Underground fixes
Widespread surface blazes
Major quake of the New Madrid Fault (southern Illinois or northeastern Arkansas) which may jeopardize the entire Mississippi River Valley area.
Greenish hue to atmosphere—Phoenix Days Higher pollution levels

Eyes Searching/Transportation Accidents

Plane crashes increase
Shipping disasters increase
Higher incidents of train derailments/accidents

Listening/Freak Deaths & Accidents
Amusement park disasters
Increase in homicide/suicide
Freak household accidents
Disease outbreaks
Several catastrophic propane explosions
Germ Warfare release accident

Breath Heaving/Discord Between Nations

Grave economical differences
Arms escalation
Warring altercations
Terrorism increases
Undeclared wars
Clandestine dealing between countries
High level secrecy

Wings Flexing/Spiritual Unrest and Awakening

Questioning masses
Political church actions
Government interventions
Repression from certain religious sects
Increased U.F.O. sightings
Interaction with other intelligences
Acceptance of paranormal
Acceptance of ongoing spirit/afterlife
More religious sects going to court to force their personaj restrictions on general public

The Wailing/Nuclear incidents

Several close meltdowns/ leaks
Seeping radioactive dump sites
Two catastrophic meltdowns
Radioactive pollution of land/rivers
Several major accidents of nuclear missile truck carriers and the transportation of radioactive waste Radioactive releases caused from geological instability

Talons Tensing/Civil Unrest

People’s revolt and resistance movements
Draft evasion
Public’s discovery of coverups
Nuclear exchange

Crouching/Massive revolts and Government Turnaround
Taxation refusals
War resistance
Policy disagreements within government body
Major upheaval within governments

Flying Free/Rise of the Age of Peace

Total equality among people
Discontinuance of all meat ingestion
Construction reforms
Cessation of most severe natural disasters
Pollution-free energy innovations by way of the earth’s magnetic field
Rise of the Indian Nation through widespread adaptation of its Ways of natural living and deep human philosophy

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Sign of the times— A Personal Perspective

The following is directly related to the coming changes. It is most relevant because it involves what is happening today in the world of enlightenment teaching and its corresponding movement toward the attainment of spiritual awareness, human compassion~ and world peace. I am compelled to speak out now, as this is the only opportunity I have to do so.

Following the release of the initial introductory book of the No-Eyes series, Spirit Song, I received beautiful readership mail from people all across the U.S. Clearly, No-Eyes’ tender heart and profound wisdom had reached out to touch many hearts and awaken many spirits. I wish now to deeply thank you for all your wonderful encouragement for me to continue writing. I have every intention of doing so, for the telling of my warm experiences with the aged visionary and others like her, coupled with the ancient wisdom and universal philosophies they had to impart, will ultimately fill many more volumes—the next four books are ready and waiting. Your expressed high interest, your thirst for more, would’ve warmed the old one’s heart.

Your intense response to Spirit Song has been overwhelming. In the many letters I’ve received, there is vivid evidence of a wonderful mass awareness dawning within the spirits of man. People are waking up out of their indifference and are listening to the nebulous urgings of their knowledgeable spirits. They now realize how vitally critical this present timeframe is, and they’ve come into the enlightening realization that they now need to shed the mundane facets of their lives in order to facilitate inner change—that of gathering their inner forces and going about accomplishing the superseding business of their spirit’s path and purpose. They’re telling me of deep, subtle promptings to relocate to other geographical regions—particularly the southwestern and mountain areas—where they know they have important spiritual goals to accomplish.

Many have expressed their private recognition of Subtleties moving upon the land. They have personally perceived the initial stirrings of thousands of tattered and worn moccasins Presenily shuffling into position for the coming Great Unifying Event. And, although these cognizant individuals represent all races, their hearts and spirits retain ancient memories, and, within this current timeframe, they have made this important sojourn to join forces for the prime purpose of nourishing the Sacred Tree and complet.. ing the Great Hoop of Man.

And, some readers write simply because they feel compelled to do so, often not even knowing why they’re writing, or what they want to say—they simply needed to “touch.” It is these letters that have been penned from the warm glow of the spirit. No-Eyes had reached out to touch their hearts and to spark their beautiful spirits into a renewed and heightened awareness. It has been an exquisite thing to see, and all these things are indeed wondrous. They serve to underscore my commitment to No-Eyes, and my heart rejoices that her tender life and high purpose has not fallen by the wayside, lying unnoticed, but has instead been lovingly embraced by so many truly beautiful people.

All of this positive readership correspondence gives valid credence to the hard and undeniable fact that the “seeking of expanded enlightenment” for our times is a high priority matter, and it remains a high demand subject of interest. It is this subject matter that I feel the urgent need to address now because it is such a grave concern of mine.

Various readership mail has served to widen my view of the many presently operating organizations, groups, centers, and individuals out there who are offering a myriad of enlightenment information that range in subject matter from natural health and nature meditation trips to environmental innovations and paranormal classes. Whether these centers be for corporeal or spiritual awareness is not necessarily relevant to my point. Whether the organizers possess the necessary background credentials and experience is irrelevant also. I realize that most of these people’s intentions are usually good; however, it is the manner of their operation that greatly distresses me.

My readers have sent me all manner of pamphlets, newsletters, advertisements, and magazines produced by these various enlightenment organizations. Some of the material has been clearly homemade, while others have been the expensive glossy products
0f high technology. Still, I have no problem or reservations with either type of format.

What I adamantly object to is that most of these organizations, whether non-profit or not, have the bold audacity to claim enlightenment on the one hand while placing something as
as a common “price tag” on what they have to offer the sincere seeker in the other hand. The two are diametrically in opposition. And this widespread practice appalls me. It speaks of selfserving intentions, of personal gain at the hands of innocent seekers of light.

The fact that there are teachers of spiritual truths and! or teachers of innovative environmental living who are actually “charging” exorbitant admissions, fees and/or dues for seminars, symposiums courses and the like is in direct opposition to the very basic premise of spirituality! To create a common “commodity” or “purchased product” out of enlightenment is to vulgarize the total concept of spirituality! True and pure spirituality has been taken out of the “sharing” of enlightenment to transform it into what is now disgustingly seen as the “selling” of enlightenment.

What this converts to is a stomach-turning statement that goes exactly like this: “Unless you come up with the money, you don’t get spiritual enlightenment.”

Do these outrageous price tags mean that only those who can afford them are entitled to enlightenmefltt wisdom, information, or help? Is enlightenment then only for the wealthy? Is the majority of the population barred from such knowledge of light simply because the seekers cannot afford it? It certainly appears so and with the approach of such critical times when so many, many are reaching out for spiritual meaning, this situation is totally unacceptable!

In the beautiful tradition of the Indian Way, the concept of the Great Give-Away should be uppermost in the minds of today’s teachers of new learning. The Great Give-Away is simply the humble giving, the sharing, of what we have to offer others. Whether this offering be spiritual wisdom, enlightened philosophy, life guidance, ecological environment innovations or just plain human comfort to one in need, makes no difference whatsoever. To give freely is the Indian Way. It is the way of human spirituality. To give without expectation of recompense of any kind is the true Indian Way. It is the way of true human spirituality. To give just because that is the human spiritual thing to do is the Indian Way.

Look you to nature. All the magnificent gifts of nature are given free to man. It is natural to give. Enlightenment, no matter on what subject it is given, is only vulgarized by the clinking of coins into the palms of the giver. This horrendous practice must cease. It must be turned around if true spirituality is to flourish upon the land. The organizers and founders of these learning and informative centers must seek other means of gaining their monies than from the pockets of these sincere and innocent seekers. A great travesty is being perpetrated upon those who wish to gain some measure of expanded awareness. It must cease if man is to experience true and pure human spirituality in a united bond of living together with the sweet earth.

Peace. Love. Giving. Spirituality. Humanness. Enlightenment.
These gentle words are simply mere shells without the absence of expectation on the part of the giver.
Empty rhetoric. Verbosity. Hypocrisy. Greed. False leaders.
At best, the “price tag beings of enlightenment” are well-meaning but sad, misguided individuals.

Please, this timeframe is far too critical for the earnest seeker to have to “pay” for that which he so desperately is seeking. It is too important to veer off your spirit’s path only to end up listening to lectures, seminars, courses, or symposiums that require your money to maintain its very existence. Hear me, please. The blood of the seeker must never nourish the veins of the teacher! The teacher must be nourished from within rather than drain that which is without! A true One of wisdom, a high teacher, never ..... .but rather gives! Keep this tenet in mind—enlightenment is a universal entity of itself; therefore it is owned by no one, therefore no one can sell that which he owns not.

So many people feel so alone. This is a time when all of us, as members of the family of man, must open our hearts and let our beautiful compassion flow to others. We are all drifting on the warm current of life and together we must be as lifeboats to those who feel they are sinking. We must not be fearful to hold out our hands and give companionship along the way. We must not be fearful to touch.

For me, there are not and truly cannot be “any ulterior motives of self-gain” in what I am doing. For indeed, that is not my way. That is not in keeping with the beautiful Tradition of the Great Give-Away that lives within my heart. That is not in keeping with the true light of human spirituality that pulses within my spirit.

Perhaps when this ugly subject of “paying” for enlightenment, simple guidance and/or help really hit home with me was when an elderly Hopi wiseman appeared unexpectedly upon my doorstep. At the time I wasn’t home, but when he later called, what he asked me plunged my heart to the ground. He softly said, “How much do you charge for a consultation appointment?”

I was so taken aback by the shocking question that I was entirely speechless for a few seconds. “Why, nothing!” I said.
The man on the phone chuckled lightly under his breath. “Well, you know how much everything costs in the white man’s world,” he added.
I sighed. “Yes, I know, but I don’t walk that path.” My heart was sad at this realization. “This isn’t the same trail,” I answered. “This isn’t the same one at all.”

When I’d hung up, the full impact of his question struck hard. I considered what he had said about the “cost” of just talking and it literally sickened me. As knowledgeable as No-Eyes was, as profoundly wise and intensely powerful as her lessons were, she was the epitome of humility and compassion. How can others, who haven’t a modicum of her wisdom and timeless vision, have the bold audacity to” charge” others for their personal guidance? It was a situation that went against everything No-Eyes had taught about everyone being loving members of the family of man. It went against everything she stood for. It went against the precious life and cherished memory of No-Eyes herself.

May Peace reside within your hearts and may Truth burn brightly within your beautiful Spirits.

Mary Summer Rain

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It won't matter... the sun will expand in its natural life cycle and bake the earth to a crisp before any other civilization has time to emerge.

Not necessarily true. The sun has another 5 billion years or so, not sure how long it would be unbtil the earth is uninhabitable for life as we know it. Lots can happen in that time.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Not necessarily true. The sun has another 5 billion years or so, not sure how long it would be unbtil the earth is uninhabitable for life as we know it. Lots can happen in that time.

The show on terraforming that I saw put it at a mere 5-10 000 years before the sun expands enough (5 billion years is its red dwarf estimate) to make organic life on earth's surface impossible. According to their estimates there won't be a civilization like us evolving.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I wouldn't say that the planet is alive, but is is an essential component of the eco-systems which sustain all life. For that reason we should treat it as we would treat any life form as we are dependant on it to sustain what life we have here. Any form of agriculture for example requires the manager to control all aspects of whatever system it is they are fostering. That includes both biotic and abiotic factors. Also micro and macro components. These can be living or non-living. Further, if you think that life sprang up on this rock through a process like abiogenesis, then you do not need a living entity to produce living organisms

Our earth is not a rock, it is a vibrant living piece of vegatation, and without us here, it would grow
millions of trees and foliage, we have made it better, and we have made it worse.
(don't know the meaning of abiogenesis)

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Air breathing creatures got their start in the tidal pools left at low tide. Adaptations and mutations allowed them to survive out of water. The sun is the biggest influence on tides. I believe this is true scientifically.

I do not take paganism literally anymore than I do christian creation myths. Mainstream churches are too bogged down in dogma and rhetoric for me yet I have a spiritual side that needs fulfilling hence paganism and it's connection to older simpler ways of my ancestors.