Is whining in our DNA?

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I think I've come to the conclusion that if we as human beings did not have something to complain about we would be most miserable creatures. The one thing that does separate us from all the other animals in nature is the fact that we are consistently and constantly consumed by this desire and more than that, this need to look for something to whine about. What would anyone do during the day if everything was going okay and there was nothing to complain about? I think maybe some might fall into a deep state of depression and layup on the couch waiting for the next misery to show up,,so they once again would have something to do.

Last edited:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
"Whining" is a side effect of being self aware. I believe it's taught. I also believe that whining is what everyone else does, never what the whiner says they're doing.

It's the same with arrogant/confident. I view myself as being confident. Those who don't like me would call it arrogance.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
I was remembering my dad and his brothers and sisters . They were born and raised in east Texas during the Depression years. Grandma told a few stories about picking cotton and buying food at the company store. I guess in those days it was all about making enough money to be able to have a roof over the head and food to eat. Eventually they migrated out west to Arizona and California and even though none of them was able to have a good education due to everyone needing to work to get by, things did get better. The thing I'm remembering about my dad, my uncles and my aunts, and my Grandmother. You never ever heard them complain about anything. They really did not complain. It just was not in them. So I don't think it is hard wired into us although it seem to be these days. I think really that they were grateful to have a better life than what they had and their expectations were realistic and not conditioned by excess.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
It's the sense of entitlement that everyone seems to have, and it's taught at an early age these days....starts when parents go to school to defend junior or feminine counterpart, even if he/she is in the wrong........

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I think I've come to the conclusion that if we as human beings did not have something to complain about we would be most miserable creatures. The one thing that does separate us from all the other animals in nature is the fact that we are consistently and constantly consumed by this desire and more than that, this need to look for something to whine about. What would anyone do during the day if everything was going okay and there was nothing to complain about? I think maybe some might fall into a deep state of depression and layup on the couch waiting for the next misery to show up,,so they once again would have something to do.
Well, it seems that way sometimes, but it is not. Misery loves company, if you will excuse the cliche. Some folks just seem to be ineffective at getting out of that rut, or any rut, for that matter. Others are pretty adept at avoiding ruts and yet others are good for escaping ruts once they get into them. And some folks, like Cannucklehead, for instance, seem to be pretty good at creating ruts to get into.
I think it all stems from the fear of being alone. And THAT is hardwired into us.

Whining is definitely a genetic trait.

Discovered in Canada, the characteristic is commonly known as The Flossy Gene.

Sadly, there is no known cure
roflmao

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I think whine is linked to attitude. But
Whats hard wired in us, I think, is we don't enjoy pain.
So difficult tasks are not liked. We tend to try and avoid them or
find different easier ways to perform them.

A other factor in the equation. Is tolerance to pain and difficulty.
Its like a muscle. And with today's easy life. We have zero tolerance.

Sz Tom

Jan 5, 2016
People didn't whine in the 70's. And there were 'dumb' kids as well back then. Nowadays, junior isn't 'dumb', he has a 'learning disability'.

It's a cop out catchall phrase that lets parents who never took the time to read to their kids, off the hook.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
when my kids use to whine occasionally, I would tell them I am trying to arrange an exchange trip
for them to the poorer parts of Africa, where many work hard each day just to eat, and don't
have time or

energy or the desire to whine and complain.

I am always amazed here in Canada 'of' how many people whine constantly about almost nothing, it is
quite sickening.

we have so much, and want so much, and whine far too much.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
when my kids use to whine occasionally, I would tell them I am trying to arrange an exchange trip
for them to the poorer parts of Africa, where many work hard each day just to eat, and don't
have time or

energy or the desire to whine and complain.

I am always amazed here in Canada 'of' how many people whine constantly about almost nothing, it is
quite sickening.

we have so much, and want so much, and whine far too much.
Not much different here in the states. But now we have refined It. Polished it and turned it into a science thanks to entertainment instigators like Rash Limbutt and Glenn Beck and the like. Now it is the status quo. A society of whining, cryin, biotch and moan complainers who will only find happiness,,,in misery.

Hoping and probably prayin,,,,for something to gripe about

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Not much different here in the states. But now we have refined It. Polished it and turned it into a science thanks to entertainment instigators like Rash Limbutt and Glenn Beck and the like. Now it is the status quo. A society of whining, cryin, biotch and moan complainers who will only find happiness,,,in misery.

Hoping and probably prayin,,,,for something to gripe about

Yep, That's when you realize 96% of the population is retarded. And I'm being generous :)

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Yep, That's when you realize 96% of the population is retarded. And I'm being generous :)
No, not retarded. Just more than willing to take the course of least resistance as opposed to swimming against the current. We go along to get along to quote an old politician. It's easy to gripe. No quite so easy to stfu and let some things run their course.