Judge Contemplates Reaction to Dog Abusers

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Conley was found guilty in August, along with his brother, Nicholas, of torturing their mother's pit bull after it had bitten Conley's 13-year-old son. According to testimony, the dog was hung from the roof of a house, stabbed multiple times and placed in a shallow hole attached by a chain to a cinder block. The dog was later euthanized.

During Wednesday's hearing, Collette expressed dismay at the attention the case received.

Other cases in his court — from murder to a man slashed repeatedly with a knife to a girl who was raped — didn't generate the outcry he'd heard regarding the Conleys' case.

"I got phone calls from people in Saskatchewan demanding to talk to me about a dog that they knew nothing about," he said.

"That little girl who was raped — her family treated her worse than the guy who raped her," he added. "And I didn't hear about that."

Collette said when the size of the county jail was being reduced, few people attended the public meetings.

"But when they cut the size of Animal Control...they had an army show up," he said. "The priorities of this society are sadly, sadly bent."

more

Lansing man sentenced to jail in dog torture case