The Process of Social Conditioning Or the Domestication of Humans

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
This is the introduction to a longer article I'm writing. I present it here to see if anybody else cares to comment on the topic.

From the day we are born we are told what to believe, how to behave, what is acceptable behaviour, what is real, what is right and what is wrong, what is beautiful and what is ugly. We accept these “truths” because we are too undeveloped intellectually to discern the difference. We are too dependent on our caregivers, parents, teachers and priests or ministers to question the validity of what we are told. We accept a belief system without question and those beliefs manifest in our lives as reality.

We do not choose these beliefs or this reality. They were given to us. They are what we all have been given and it forms our collective reality because we have all been indoctrinated into the same set of beliefs. We agreed to accept the reality we were given. What choice did we have? There were no alternatives offered.

Humans have been domesticated through a process of repetitive reinforcement, through reward and punishment. This system of domestication is no different than how we train a dog or any other domestic animal. This system of reward and punishment is reinforced by religion and governmental laws. Break the rules and we are punished. Obey the rules and we are rewarded.

The reward we get is positive attention from our parents, teachers and peers. The attention feels good, so we become addicted to it. We crave more, so we do all we can to get more. We start acting. We start pretending to be someone we are not in order to get attention and soon we become what others expect us to be. But it is not who we are. We become so removed from who we are that we forget who that is. Good dog!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This is the introduction to a longer article I'm writing. I present it here to see if anybody else cares to comment on the topic.

From the day we are born we are told what to believe, how to behave, what is acceptable behaviour, what is real, what is right and what is wrong, what is beautiful and what is ugly. We accept these “truths” because we are too undeveloped intellectually to discern the difference. We are too dependent on our caregivers, parents, teachers and priests or ministers to question the validity of what we are told. We accept a belief system without question and those beliefs manifest in our lives as reality.

We do not choose these beliefs or this reality. They were given to us. They are what we all have been given and it forms our collective reality because we have all been indoctrinated into the same set of beliefs. We agreed to accept the reality we were given. What choice did we have? There were no alternatives offered.

Humans have been domesticated through a process of repetitive reinforcement, through reward and punishment. This system of domestication is no different than how we train a dog or any other domestic animal. This system of reward and punishment is reinforced by religion and governmental laws. Break the rules and we are punished. Obey the rules and we are rewarded.

The reward we get is positive attention from our parents, teachers and peers. The attention feels good, so we become addicted to it. We crave more, so we do all we can to get more. We start acting. We start pretending to be someone we are not in order to get attention and soon we become what others expect us to be. But it is not who we are. We become so removed from who we are that we forget who that is. Good dog!

In order to improve on the forementioned, somebody (like a god) is going to have to establish a code of ethics and behaviour that everyone is willing adhere to and that would eliminate the need for cops. But this is exactly what we've had for over 2000 years and the result is what you describe and as a result the world is all f**ked up. Good luck, Cliff. (Sorry if I've pissed on your parade)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

From the day we are born we are told what to believe, how to behave, what is acceptable behaviour, what is real, what is right and what is wrong, what is beautiful and what is ugly.
True nuff.
We accept these “truths” because we are too undeveloped intellectually to discern the difference. We are too dependent on our caregivers, parents, teachers and priests or ministers to question the validity of what we are told. We accept a belief system without question and those beliefs manifest in our lives as reality.
Speak for yourself, pilgrim.

One must decide for him/herself. Some choose not to be sheeple.

Wise dogs choose what works for them and chuck the rest in the dustbin.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
True nuff.Speak for yourself, pilgrim.
I was talking about us as little children. As we grow we often reject many of those beliefs and adapt new ones.
One must decide for him/herself. Some choose not to be sheeple.
I am also talking about the generally accepted beliefs about what reality is. Nothing to do with religion.
Wise dogs choose what works for them and chuck the rest in the dustbin.
I agree.