Looking For Family Members...HELP

xkimdouglasx

Oct 19, 2009
Hi All,

Recently I have been trying to find family members that I have not seen since I was a toddler. The only details I have are names. Can anyone give me tips or help on how to find these people?

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
Welcome!
I agree with Ron, Facebook is a great place to start. Good luck!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Hi All,

Recently I have been trying to find family members that I have not seen since I was a toddler. The only details I have are names. Can anyone give me tips or help on how to find these people?
Many genealogy sites have message boards. Ancestry.com probably will not let you leave a message anywhere for free but lots of others do allow it. Ancestry often allows a two week free search. Check out their site and see if it's one of those times. Sign on and go to the message boards. Maybe you'll get lucky. The other thing you can do is go on google and simply say: (for example) searching for the Smith Family from Vancouver Island. You will be amazed how many family trees pop up. Say you are searching for a lost family member and name the family. Any of these questions can bring amazing results. There is another group with a name similar to something like the good samaritans or a name like that and they will for free or a small fee, search an area for you. It isn't samaritan but it means about the same thing. I wish I could think of the name but maybe my post will jog someone else's memory and they will know the site. Good luck.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Obviously, starting with the location where they used to live is useful-most local newspapers are online, so go to the local paper, and do a search with those names...also 411.ca, look in the phone book...might be tough if it's a common name, but sometimes people still live in the same neighborhood.

Start with what you know - names, places, etc...go from there.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
6 months and the person has never openly checked back. I wonder why we continue to try to help.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Because we are nice??
No disrespect but I don't think nice has anything to do with this. This person obviously either found her family or never bothered to come back here either because she found what she felt was a better source or because she felt no one here could help. I can see where someone else might use the same thread to get help for the same reason but I fail to see where we would continue to attempt any offer to aid someone who isn't looking for it and probably never signs on.