Moving To London Ontario

OwnersRentals

Jun 22, 2009
Vancouver/ Valencia Spain
Hi and help, i've been living between Vancouver and Valencia Spain,but wish to settle with my family in Ontario, never been but we all like the look of London Ontario, can anyone let me know more about London and what your views are, is it a family place to live

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I got one of my degrees at UWO in London. I loved living in London; it has all the amenities of a big city without many urban problems.
Good schools, good economy, beautiful part of the country; enjoy.

mit

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2008
SouthWestern Ontario
London is an excellent city - as Walter said - Their economy is not so good right now but they are branching out - Housing is reasonable compared to Toronto or Vancouver but there are some sweet deals in some of the smaller centres surrounding it. I live about 15 minutes away in Ingersoll and St Thomas just south of Ingersoll has even better deals but I like Ingersoll. The 401 runs thru London and you can be in Toronto or Detroit in under 2 hours. The John Labatt Center in London gets some top concert tours. London has a good public transit system. Airport can get you anywhere you want to go. It's very multicultural. South Western Ontario has some of the best fishing, camping and outdoor leisure activities that are affordable and available within a short drive. Job market is very tight but there are some efforts and investments underway in preparation for the economic upturn. I think you will like it.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
We lived in London for one year, many years ago. London is a great place to live. My son is attending the medical school at the University of Western Ontario. What I personally like about London is that there are many great hiking spots very close to London.

If you are looking for a good area to live, I suggest Byron.

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
Between Ireland and Russia
Like Walter, I too am a UWO grad. I loved living in London, an excellent place to live. My only complaints are that the city centre, though abosultely beautiful, is dead quiet and lifeless (wasn't always that way), and there is no expressway through the city, driving anywhere around town is very slow.

If you do settle there, find Adelaide Street on a map. Do not live anywhere east of Adelaide, live just about anywhere west of it. SJP gives good advice about Byron. One of my best friends lvies there and he loves it.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I know what you mean about East of Adelaide, Polygong. The palace Theatre produces one Gilbert and Sullivan opera each November, and we go to see it (I am a Gilbert and Sullivan fan). It is located east of Adelaide, and the area is not pretty. We always go for the Matinee (2.00 p.m show), rather than the regular show at 8 p.m.

OwnersRentals

Jun 22, 2009
Hi Guys thank you all very much for the advise, could anyone tell me about schools, my daughter is 12 and will be starting year 7 this sept,can anyone reccomend a good school. Also what is a good family community where i can buy a house and settle.

OwnersRentals

Jun 22, 2009
Where is good to live London

First of all thank you for all the people who replied you have been a great help.
Where are the best schools ? my daughter is 12 and will be starting year 7 in Sept,Also where are the best family communities ?