so will police detain somone thats in canada, from america, with an american warrant

thumbsup

May 7, 2009
just wondering what the general public says from the area.

thats basically the situation. a friend could have a warrant if he leaves for ontario and we're wondering if the police from canada will detain him possibly if approached and detain him for a warrant from america.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Thumbsup, if you (or your friend) are in the USA, and have a
warrant for your (your friends) arrest, you might not even make
it into Canada. If you come, bring your Passport or you (and your
friend) might have issues getting back into the USA after June 1st,

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I would add too that certain US authorities have been given jurisdiction in Canada. So for example the FBI can come into Canada as far north as Williams Lake (in BC). This means depending on what your friend is wanted for it may just be a fellow American that arrests him. Technically the US authorities are supposed to report their activities in Canada to the Canadian government but in practice they don't much unless they need help.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I would add too that certain US authorities have been given jurisdiction in Canada. So for example the FBI can come into Canada as far north as Williams Lake (in BC). This means depending on what your friend is wanted for it may just be a fellow American that arrests him. Technically the US authorities are supposed to report their activities in Canada to the Canadian government but in practice they don't much unless they need help.

You have some evidence of this?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
You have some evidence of this?

It was in the news here about a year ago or so.

Edit:

Here is some of it: The FBI in Canada

Anyway, it was later found that they (US authorities) can come into Canada much farther and the FBI only let our government know of their activities about 50% of the time. They actively carry on investigations within our boarders and without our knowledge.

Last edited:

tipseynipsey

Time Out
May 11, 2009
It was in the news here about a year ago or so.

Edit:

Here is some of it: The FBI in Canada

Anyway, it was later found that they (US authorities) can come into Canada much farther and the FBI only let our government know of their activities about 50% of the time. They actively carry on investigations within our boarders and without our knowledge.

wow, that's insane. very interesting article though, i hadn't the slightest clue about that.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I'm not ready to jump all over this yet. A lot depends on what the FBI was doing in Canada. If they're just interviewing people/doing research/conducting activities that don't require warrants/court permission under our system, while think notification as a professional courtesy is nice, I generally view it the same as any other visitor: enjoy your stay and spend lots of money :p Investigators can find out a lot just by doing some legwork. If they conducted arrests, searches without warrants, wire tapes, etc. then there is a reason for concern.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Even framed your way it's still a gross violation of our sovereignty. It sounds like you're resigned to us being an American puppet state.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Not really. They're not violating our sovereignty in any way we can't do in return, with the same level of profile. I'd also be interested to know what the stats on Canadian law enforcement officials operating in the US without authorization are like...

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Not really. They're not violating our sovereignty in any way we can't do in return, with the same level of profile. I'd also be interested to know what the stats on Canadian law enforcement officials operating in the US without authorization are like...

You're making a whole lot of assumptions. I suggest you read the article again.

davegrover

Jan 29, 2008
TO
Absolutely! If your friend happens to make it across the border (which is highly unlikely). Any altercation with Canadian police would mean his name being run through the police CPIC, then and there the officer would become aware of the warrant. The only way he would get away from it is if for some reason they couldn't find him in the records.
Either way I wouldn't suggest it, Canadians don't take too kindly to criminals using our country as a safe haven as far as I know.