The human rational soul.

Deacon Raymond

May 29, 2008
I have just written a book on the rational soul, "Bless the Lord my soul."
If anyone would like questions on our soul, I would be pleased to exchange on same.
Deacon Raymond

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I have just written a book on the rational soul, "Bless the Lord my soul."
If anyone would like questions on our soul, I would be pleased to exchange on same.
Deacon Raymond
with due respect, one first has to have a soul to discuss, i am just fine in my shoes.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Welcome Deacon!

Share your ideas with us if you like, but I'd argue the point that a "soul" is "rational"...

The "soul" is an idea. Spirit....soul.....something that compels people to achieve both greatness and great infamy underlies the human montage...perhaps....

But the genesis of a "doctrinal" variety of "soul" or "spirit" is an emotional phenomenon not a rational one. Logic dictates that relationships exist between "cause and effect" that as the canvas of ones awareness is etched-upon by the experience of life certain appetites, choices, conclusions, speculations even...are generated in response to these experiences.

Enculturation specific to geographical and historical perspectives and experiences abound as unstated "rationale" for why we behave in the ways we do.... It is a choice of conscious self-awareness....a construct of the mind that gives both the "soul" and the "spirit" the facility to influence choices and behaviors. Perhaps there is a divine intervention at the moment of creation, I can't say for certain, but for my self I've decided that until I can step outside my emotional awareness and experience something that is quantifiable and qualitatively definable as furniture of the universe...well it will simply remain a sometimes interesting notion.....

Deacon Raymond

May 29, 2008
Hi Guys,
Thank for your responses. Gives me a wonderful insight.
What would it take to prove to you, you have a soul?
Deacon Raymond

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
hello deacon. I'd Pm you to welcome you but newbies dont get PMs for a while. I hope you enjoy your discussion. I think you and mikey will talk until the cows come home.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Deacon

The burden of proof is yours.

Why not provide people with the absolute verifiable falsifiable sustantive irrevocably true proof that a "soul" exists? Not some "according to the scriptures" or my Koran says...., but proof I can weigh measure and test. Let's not play around with emotional states and conditions like "love" "hate" "anger" and so on, since these are combinations of neurotransmitters as influenced by experience of both the "real" and the "cerebral".

The ball's in your court. :)

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Mikey, you disappoint me! I was sure you had a soul!;-)

Hi, Deacon... welcome at CC.:smile:

Your book sounds interesting. Have you published it formally, like... is it for sale or available in Libraries already?

I don't understand what the fuss is about. I know the "Feeling-Me" is called Soul. Since I have feelings I have a Soul!
MY soul is that what shines out of my eyes. When Mikey insults me I feel hurt! My soul got hurt, and it would show in my eyes. But, when Mikey comes and takes me in his arms and strokes my head and says, "I'm sorry, little Loon... I didn't mean to hurt you, forgive me, please." Then.... I'll kick him in the shin, and feel better!!:p:p My soul no longer hurts.

So much from the Peanut Gallery!!:lol:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Dancing _Loon

I'd comfort you any time you need it! But what I'm comforting is the exquisitely complex being that is "Dancing_Loon". We are but empty canvases upon which the story of life is painted. Dark frightening images, buoyant happy bright images, the weeping of a child, the song of the lark, all these images that we feel and even some we imagine are transitory and once having written...the hand moves on....

The idea of a "soul" a "spirit" is profoundly comforting because it provides an ethereal quality to one's self-awareness. As Schopenhauer remarked, ... because our existence as living creatures is so terribly limited we seek to find some commonality with the mountains and the stars. We bind ourselves to the limitlessness of existence and the universe through embrace of the notion of spirt.... I've paraphrased and been roguishly literal but you get the idea...:)

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Well that clears that up!

When you've scrawled down your insights, ideas, fantasies and projections in a "book" there's no need to answer questions! There's no need to be seen as accountable for your beliefs and your morality....it's all in the book...!

Why isn't this a surprise?

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Dancing _Loon

I'd comfort you any time you need it!
Mikey, you have just proven to me that you DO have a soul, a beautiful one!!
But what I'm comforting is the exquisitely complex being that is "Dancing_Loon".
True!
We are but empty canvases(?:lol:) upon which the story of life is painted.
Untrue!! I gave birth to five children, and they all had a soul from the start! I am the witness to that!!
Dark frightening images, buoyant happy bright images, the weeping of a child, the song of the lark, all these images that we feel
Hold it right there! You said "feel". Without a soul you have no emotional feelings, you would be cold und empty.
and even some we imagine are transitory and once having written...the hand moves on....
Wrong again! The hand moves on, yes, but the imprint stays. Where do you suppose its imprint is on? Memory alone? Example: I remember I felt scared, happy, sad etc. I'd like to know what is memory? Is it part of the brain? Does the brain by itself feel compassion, love, hate etc.?

Mikey, you have some more explainin to do!;-):smile: I have emotions!:roll: Where, in your theory, are they located before they become memory? (remember, I'm not universally educated!)
The idea of a "soul" a "spirit" is profoundly comforting, because it provides an ethereal quality to one's self-awareness. I've paraphrased and been roguishly literal but you get the idea...:)
Let me see, if I got it: You mean to say that I imagine to posess a soul and a spirit? It's just an idea, unproven at that. It makes me ask, who is "I" or "me"? No spirit, no soul... just a hunk of meat with an unfeeling brain and a memory contained there-in or attached there-to! That comes awfully close to being a robot. Who created me? Who put the life-force into me?
As Schopenhauer remarked, ... because our existence as living creatures is so terribly limited we seek to find some commonality with the mountains and the stars. We bind ourselves to the limitlessness of existence and the universe through embrace of the notion of spirt....
I checked up on Schopenhauer, and he seems to put everything on the WILL. Will, I would think, is the spirit or part of it in the human being. Could I, according to Schopenhauer, have a will but no spirit?
Please, Mikey, treat me like a child, which I still am, take my hand and lead me through your and Schopenhauer's philosophy on the subject of soul and spirit.

Schopenhauer:
For Schopenhauer, the Will is an aimless desire to perpetuate itself, the basis of life. Desire engendered by the Will is the source of all the sorrow in the world; each satisfied desire leaves us either with boredom, or with some new desire to take its place. For Schopenhauer, a world in thrall to Will is necessarily a world of suffering. Since the Will is the source of life,....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schopenhauer's_aesthetics