Workers' rights

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
From the office of Michael the Archangel: Heaven and all participants are members of the Union of Celestial Light and any communications with god must go through the Union office.

Failure to submit communications through the Union of Celestial Light will result in no communications with any of our members.

Solidarity Forever!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Unions are why it is cheaper to mine coal and iron ore in Canada, ship it to Japan, make steel, then ship it back to compete with US Steel, Stelco, Dofasco, AlgoSteel. Unionized mentality is why you get a better built Japanese car, fully equipped, for less than the price of your basic Chevy. Unions guarantee incompetent workers stay employed. The only useful purpose for a Union any more is to bite the hand that feeds it as it encourages industry to locate in China....

Woof!

Reactions: DurkaDurka

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Thanks for calling me incompen=tent Wolf and to think i starting to like you .Not all union members are incompetent .I guess you guys are all for rolling back wages to the stone age .8O5 bucks an hour for everyone .:-(The corps just love you guys :roll:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Unions guarantee incompetent workers stay employed.
Are you one of those guys who don't pull your weight then cry to the shop steward when the boss tells you about it? Are you one of those guys who have a career and never leave the house because accumulated sick benefits are just another way of saying "paid vacation"? Unions have outlived their usefulness. I hear folks complain all the time about taxes. How much do you whine about a parasite who picks your pocket while plotting for yet another way to bleed the corporation dry? No worry about the Union. It will be overseas organizing Chinese workers long after your UIC benefits have expired.

Woof!

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Specifically, lone wolf, unions here and a vacuum of association in places like China make it cheaper for a company to hire an individual and manufacture a product outside of Canada. You can just as easily blame the union vacuum in China as the union presence in Canada, because were collective agreements truly global agreements for all workers in all factories of a given corporation there would be no motive to leave, merely an increase in transportation costs if they did.

Employers have a naturally stronger bargaining position than individual employees and unions seek to right that inequality. Some nations limit the freedom of association in such a way that people are unable to collectively bargain, in that case the employers exert their stronger bargaining position to subjugate many employees to less than fair conditions. Suggesting that corporations are doing reasonable things in moving their factories is equivalent to suggesting that the working conditions in those factories are fair.

Blaming unions is a colloquial sport these days, seemingly more often based on poorly cited anecdotes and flashy sayings then actual economic or social arguments.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
So now i'm a parasite too8OWhat exactly have i ever done to you ?First off i'm a shop steward second none of our guys do anything like the crap you just posted .I don't know what unions are like from your neck of the woods but i don't see much of that stuff going on in the plants i work in here in BC.I don't know what to tell ya Wolf but i don't see that stuff happening it might of in the past :-?I've been in almost evey pulp mill and refinery in this province .I quit the industy 15 yearsd ago and have been back for 4 and the wages haven't exactly gone up so i don't know what to tell you

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Tell it to the papermill folks in the Soo, Sturgeon Falls, Espanola, Kapuskasing who are without work because the Union absolutely refused to allow wage concessions so the industry could survive.

Woof!

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Like i said wolf i have know idea what unions are up to back east .Out here its been nothing but concessions for quite sometime .I got no problem with that i like working .What i don't understand is why the union membership would be led down that path .Were those people that stupid to not see the writing was on the wall as far as their jobs were concerned ?8OWe just went through negotiations with the company and we all knew in advance that if we asked for to much we'd have killed the goose that laid the golden egg .We worked with the company cause we realize the stronger the company the more employment for us ;-) As for other unions if the membership is to stupid to realize the companys struggling they deserve what they get :-(Sounds like just dumb ass folk to me remember its what the membership decide not the union reps ;-)

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Just got an emergency call out this parasites got to run .Gottta keep the photo quality paper a coming :lol:But i'm interested in what you all have to say .i'll log back in when i can ;-)Uhhm wolf no sick time allowed in our union as a matter of fact were on call 365 days a year 24/7 .Have a good day all chat latter

Durgan

Durgan
Oct 19, 2005
Brantford, ON
www.durgan.org
Unions are why it is cheaper to mine coal and iron ore in Canada, ship it to Japan, make steel, then ship it back to compete with US Steel, Stelco, Dofasco, AlgoSteel. Unionized mentality is why you get a better built Japanese car, fully equipped, for less than the price of your basic Chevy. Unions guarantee incompetent workers stay employed. The only useful purpose for a Union any more is to bite the hand that feeds it as it encourages industry to locate in China....

Woof!

Labour costs, be it unionized or not, is used as a smoke-screen in an attempt to disguise the real reason, as to why so many manufacturing plants move to China and other off-shore areas.

The more likely reason is reduced ( Corporate) taxes, and possible less scrutriny of discharged polluting products.

A typical example: Computer parts are not labour intensive, they are produced by high tech machines with little input from an operator. Yet almost every computer part is manufaactured off-shore. The conglomerte owner must be getting the large profit from tax breaks. Childrens toys are probably another example.

This does not exclude the fact that Unions certainly make manufacturing difficult in many cases for various reasona, and cost is just one issue.

Durgan.