schools in Ontario

lily

Feb 8, 2007
alberta
hi we will shortly be relocating to eastern ON and have heard that the schools out there and very liberal compared to alberta,and not good at all.this has me worried,what experiences of this do you have ?
thanks

tanakar

Nominee Member
Feb 14, 2007
Ontario
hi we will shortly be relocating to eastern ON and have heard that the schools out there and very liberal compared to alberta,and not good at all.this has me worried,what experiences of this do you have ?
thanks

One good thing about Ontario schools is that they do require one to learn how to spell correctly. Judging from what you wrote, spelling is clearly not an issue in the Albertan school system.

lily

Feb 8, 2007
alberta
so youve never made a typing error then? good for you,
i thought this was a place to receive help and info,not sarcastic comments.
i'll try elsewhere
must be SOOOOOO hard being perfect all the time......

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
One good thing about Ontario schools is that they do require one to learn how to spell correctly. Judging from what you wrote, spelling is clearly not an issue in the Albertan school system.

I was going to say something similar. It's funny when someone starts a thread because they "heard" that Ontario schools are "liberal" and "not very good", implying that somehow Alberta is the fountain of good education, and yet that person defends poor spelling. So what makes Alberta schools so good - is it just because they "aren't liberal"? That's pathetic.

My only experience with Ontario schools was in 1970-72, and at that time, I found them to be behind New Brunswick.

lily

Feb 8, 2007
alberta
I was going to say something similar. It's funny when someone starts a thread because they "heard" that Ontario schools are "liberal" and "not very good", implying that somehow Alberta is the fountain of good education, and yet that person defends poor spelling. So what makes Alberta schools so good - is it just because they "aren't liberal"? That's pathetic.

My only experience with Ontario schools was in 1970-72, and at that time, I found them to be behind New Brunswick.

youve completely misunderstood the thread,i never implied alberta was the best at education,but i was under the impression a forum was a place to ask questions .obviously you have a problem with people from ontario,do you have a problem with brits aswell?? weve been here a year or so and asked a simple question that recquired a simple ,polite answer.
not the cocky ,pig head arrogance you have shown.
theres no wonder the world is in the state its in with your foul attitude.
im so glad im not like you !!!

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Riddle me this CDNBear....How many people from Ontario does it take to change a light bulb?

Just one .......they stand in the middle of the room and the whole world revolves around them.

In the rest of Ontario we reserve that joke for Torontonians. They tend to think anything more than 20 km away is a backwater.

tanakar

Nominee Member
Feb 14, 2007
Ontario
youve completely misunderstood the thread,i never implied alberta was the best at education,but i was under the impression a forum was a place to ask questions .obviously you have a problem with people from ontario,do you have a problem with brits aswell?? weve been here a year or so and asked a simple question that recquired a simple ,polite answer.

Hurry up and get into an Ontarian school! You need grammar and spelling skills they didn't teach you in the good Albertan schools!

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Now Thats crap nothing wrong with schools here ,the learning depends on the teacher ,the subject the child and the home environment Bilingualism is a must and its every where here if anything that may pose a problem ,The RC schools seem to be stricter and different areas are going to mean different types of population ,who ever told you the schools are not up to par ,are living in a bubble world where about are you heading ?

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
The schools in Eastern Ontario tend to fare well.
There CAN be a difference,interprovincially,between school curricla...so,for instance,your child might not have covered,in grade five,what the grade fives here cover.
It's the moving part,leaving friends and family behind part that is often hardest on kids.They generally adapt well, and teachers are aware of the pressures on "new" kids, and respond accaordingly.
Certainly,it'd be a good idea to meet with your children's new teachers,bring copies of past report cards, and be open about the areas of strength and weakness your children have.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Hi Lily,

Welcome to Canadian Content. I am very sorry to see you've been treated so poorly by some members here. This is not the welcome we usually extend to newbies, so I hope ya stick around and get to know a few more folks here. I fixed the title of the thread, and I hope you get a few more replies discussing the Ontario school system.

Zan

Reactions: selfactivated

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

Don't worry Lily, if you stck around and chat you will find there are people who you would want to be like here. The others will ulimatley make you feel much better about yourself after you have heard their opinions.
In the mean time try this exercise.

lily

Feb 8, 2007
alberta
Hi Lily,

Welcome to Canadian Content. I am very sorry to see you've been treated so poorly by some members here. This is not the welcome we usually extend to newbies, so I hope ya stick around and get to know a few more folks here. I fixed the title of the thread, and I hope you get a few more replies discussing the Ontario school system.

Zan

thank you Zan.
I think i'll log out and that will be the end of it.
im just so shocked at peoples arrogance,maybe i worded the whole question wrong about schools in ON,but i thought the reasoning behind it was simple enough to understand.i didnt expect people to tear the question apart and look for things that werent there,'
thanks anyway

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
thank you Zan.
I think i'll log out and that will be the end of it.
im just so shocked at peoples arrogance,maybe i worded the whole question wrong about schools in ON,but i thought the reasoning behind it was simple enough to understand.i didnt expect people to tear the question apart and look for things that werent there,'
thanks anyway

schools are pretty good in ontario, we have some of the top universites in the whole country. are you talking high school or what? i go to a public high school which is okay. i hear the catholic schools in ontario are twenty times better.

dude1981

Feb 9, 2007
LONDON, ON.
schools are pretty good in ontario, we have some of the top universites in the whole country. are you talking high school or what? i go to a public high school which is okay. i hear the catholic schools in ontario are twenty times better.

I think it depends on what school, just like anywhere else.

The curriculum is pretty left leaning though. But that sort of its in with the province these days. Catholic schools are probably more on the ball here.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Let's all over react. Now you're claiming I have a problem with people from Ontario? So, you can't spell, and you can't understand written English as well? Your writing sucks, you don't understand grammar or punctuation, and you care about schools being "liberal"?

No wonder the world is in the state it's in, with your obvious lack of education. I don't know what the point of your original post was, but your communication and social skills are so lacking, it hardly matters.

By the way, in case any of you are wondering why I said that I found the schools in Ontario to be behind NB in the 70s, that's because when my family moved there, we all had to skip a grade to avoid repeating the same stuff we'd learned in NB. It was a simple statement of fact, not some oddly disguised way of saying I don't like people from Ontario.

Last edited: