Re: British truck drivers wanted in Canada

rudders

Jul 21, 2006
Re: British truck drivers wanted in Canada

Just wondered whether some of you helpful souls out there could clarify a few points for me............

There seems to be a lot of advertising in the national press here in britain for Truck drivers in ontario. And having visited your country on a few occasions I was looking at the possibility of perhaps taking up residency in or around the Brockville area of Ontario.

Can anyone please give me an acurate and honest opinion of both the area and the real possiblities of a permanent position within the trucking industry, is there a real demand for drivers and what sort of pay would you expect to receive.

I also found generally that while travelling around Canada especially the Ontario and Quebec areas that people seemed very sociable and generally friendly attitude, is this general or was I seeing through rose tinted spectacles perhaps.

Any honest pointers would be well appreciated.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Hi Rudders:

Welcome to CC.

If you are an experienced driver 8 or 9 plus years and have the equivalent of an AZ licence (probably have to pass the Ontario test also), you would do well in the Toronto area. Expensive to live, but the jobs are there, and they pay well.

Generally speaking, stay away from the boonies. Small companies, old trucks, drive you like a camel.

If your experience is limited, you will probably have to work for some slave masters with shitty equipment till you get some time in with no accidents.

Have a trucker in the family. This has been his experience. Long time required to do well.

Definately do some research or you will be taken advantage of.

Ugg.

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
Experienced drivers are also in very high demand in Alberta.....both short and long haul.
The pay is excellent...but the cost of housing(of which there is a real shortage) is sky rocketing.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Not sure about British drivers wanted here, but there is some official talk about importing thousands from Mexico to do our long distance hauling.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
missile said:
Not sure about British drivers wanted here, but there is some official talk about importing thousands from Mexico to do our long distance hauling.

8O .................thousands :?: :?:

Which official did ya hear that from Missle??

:lol: :lol: That's how rumours get started.

Ugg. :idea:

ROBDOG

Aug 12, 2006
WEST YORKSHIRE
HEY-THERE RUDDERS,
I HAVE LOTS OF MATES IN THE TRUCKING LINE OF WORK BOTH IN THE UK AND ONTARIO. YOU WILL FIND THAT UGG IS RIGHT ABOUT BEEN WORKED HARD. BUT IF YOUR ANYTHING LIKE MOST UK DRIVERS WE DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH WORKING HARD FOR OUR MONEY, IF THE QUALITY OF LIFE IS BETTER. THERE'S A LOT MORE SPACE ON THE ROADS, A LOT MORE MILES BUT LESS NUTTERS TO DEAL WITH. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT YOU COULD ALWAYS GO BACK HOME. BE LUCKY!