Is Hamilton a great city?

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
Why do you ask?
I live nice and close to Hamilton, next door actually. It has very cheap rent and some cool restaurants. They have put several million into their waterfront park and you can buy a huge house in the area for 100k still.

Copps Coliseum has some good shows, Pearl Jam played there I believe. Also had some Disney on Ice as well.

BUT anyone in the area would tell you its a friggin dump unless they had some hidden unknown loyalty to the place. It's filthy and disgusting and full of crack addicts, and that's just the schools.

Does this help you?

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
I lived in Hamilton for a year. I was in an apartment right downtown which I got for an incredible price. I couldnt believe my luck!!! After I moved in, I realized that I could never sit on my balcony because the Stelco Dofasco air was so bad I couldn't breathe. There was a murder in the pizza parlor below me and another two blocks away. The drug dealers and the prostitutes favoured my street. There were two drunk driving car accidents on my street that woke me in the middle of the night.

But other than that the city wasnt bad.

It does actually have some very pretty areas as GG says. You want to first drive into it via Plains Road past the Royal Botanical Gardens. DO NOT make your first impression of it by driving over the Burlington skyway bridge. Around Hess Village there are some good restaurants and night clubs. And its a good location for getting out of the city to other places like around the Niagara Penisula and into Toronto.

PS I no longer live there but it wasnt coz I hated it.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: RE: Is Hamilton a great c

Toro said:
Owning real estate in Hamilton will one day be a great investment. It may take a few decades, but one day it will be in demand.

Thats true but I eat so many cheese burgers, there is no way I'd live long enough to see any profit in this. lol.

Oh and it is a pastion for the New Democrats however!

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Well anyway, we've all put him off and he's gonna move to Halifax instead.... see his other post!

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
Halifax? Halifax wishes it was as nice as Hamilton. I didn't realize those were his choices. He's MUCH better off in Hamilton, but only if he's looking for work.

Oops, I truly wish I'd known he was deciding between the two. Let's change his mind back.... :D

Seriously tho...

justinwilliams

May 25, 2006
quebec
as I said in the other topic I'm trying to choose between those two and I only have one month left so if I say that I'm planning to move to any of these this is true.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Yeah, and after Quebec separates, the Maritime provinces will be the first to join the States.

workfromhomemom

Jun 12, 2006
Ontario,CANADA
Re: RE: Is Hamilton a great city?

GreenGreta said:
Why do you ask?
I live nice and close to Hamilton, next door actually. It has very cheap rent and some cool restaurants. They have put several million into their waterfront park and you can buy a huge house in the area for 100k still.

BUT anyone in the area would tell you its a friggin dump unless they had some hidden unknown loyalty to the place. It's filthy and disgusting and full of crack addicts, and that's just the schools.

It has been a while since I have been to hamilton, like 1997. No I don't get out much.
I have a friend from college that lives there and visited him alot throughout those years. If I recall correctly at that point in time, I thought it was pretty dumpy too. Although most times we went there to party in the Pubs etc. By the time last call came we probably fit right in. The water front was disgusting and I'm glad to here that they have spent some time and $$ on it. How about the downtown core.

vulpine

Jun 4, 2006
i know it's cool to hate on hamilton for some reason but i've lived in hamilton for a good 7 years now and you know, its not fantastic in regards to culture, but its certainly not overrun by drug addicts and pimps. its within 45 minute drive of toronto so you can enjoy all the good aspects of toronto with actually having to live there and you know i've been stumbling around downtown drunk of my ass hundreds of times and i've never been harrassed, shot, shot at, stabbed, stabbed at, raped, murdered, bludgened or any such things. Any city has its rough niegbourhoods and if you choose to live there then thats your own stupid fault.
If you like indie music then hamilton is a great city. we've got like 4 excellent clubs and regularly draw really excellent acts and its also a great city to start your own band
it also has to best and cheapest falafel in canada.

Grit86

May 8, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Going by a few people I know who lived there, Hamilton is nothing but a blue-collar, cultural wasteland that smells bad.

Well, that's what they said (don't take it out on me :s)...

Anyway, I don't think it's a particularly bad city to live in, it's just dull. I guess since it's in such close proximity to Toronto, it hasn't really earned much of a reputation for itself. It's actually almost viewed as a suburb of Toronto.

nuclear

Sep 10, 2006
When I came to Canada some seven years ago, Hamilton was the first city I lived in. My first impression as I was passing the streets of the city was: "My God, what have I done? Where have I come to live? This is horrible!"

Yes, it smells, it is full of hookers, drug dealers, addicts, architecture is awful, people are strange, and it is a biggest dump I've ever seen in my life. I was happy when I moved away. Never to come back. Hopefully.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Hamilton's no worse than any other Canuck city its size. Toronto's far worse. An eyesore that refuses to budge. Smaller cities are the jewels of the country.