what about a quebecer in ontario

justinwilliams

May 25, 2006
quebec
I've heard that some people hate quebecers...i wanna know the truth about it...let me know...Will I be facing hate or insult if I move to Ontario bringing with me my notable french accent thanks and please show me the real thing

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I wouldn't worry about it the least. I think Ontarian have more to fear about moving to Quebec than the other way around.

Some places in Ontario even have French on stop signs and such....usually found in Northern towns.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Quebecers suck, hoiste!

Just kidding. :lol:

You should be safe no matter where you go, especially Ottawa and the surrounding areas.

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
RE: what about a quebecer

I love at least one Quebecer, the one I married. My in-laws ain't half bad either.

In my experience in Canada it's not about how people treat you it's about how you treat them. If I'm in Quebec and make an attempt to speak french. The other person usually switches to English to avoid my terrible accent. If I go around expecting people to speak english, they tend to treat me differently. If you come to Ontario and try to speak english most folks will welcome you warmly (there's the odd nasty tete-quare out there) but don't expect us to switch to french, most (like me) can't say much more than Bonjour et Il quelle huere?

Usually most larger communities have a francophone association and possibly a community centre. My wife worked in Maillardville at such a place. Maillardville is a neighbourhood in Coquitlam BC.

Ou va tu? (Now you know why people switch to english when I speak french)

justinwilliams

May 25, 2006
quebec
Thanks for sharing your ideas!! I've been thinking about hamilton, barrie or maybe ottawa. If you guys say the only thing to do to avoid been discriminated is to speak english, well I'll just have to enjoy. I'm coming to see you cause I want to learn english so I'll have to speak it. I've no big problem with it except for my accent.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
justinwilliams said:
Thanks for sharing your ideas!! I've been thinking about hamilton, barrie or maybe ottawa. If you guys say the only thing to do to avoid been discriminated is to speak english, well I'll just have to enjoy. I'm coming to see you cause I want to learn english so I'll have to speak it. I've no big problem with it except for my accent.

I doubt you will run into many people who don't speak french in Ottawa - petit peu? Did I spell that right? :lol:

The slang is terrible here though, TERRIBLE. :lol:

justinwilliams

May 25, 2006
quebec
yeah..my first choice was ottawa because of its proximity but everyone just kept on telling it ain't a good place to learn english. I might find myself choosing the easy way with everyone knowing french. Would you recommand some cities more than others? In the southern part cause my girlfriend wants to be close to or in big cities.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un
Re: RE: what about a quebecer

Vicious said:
I love at least one Quebecer, the one I married. My in-laws ain't half bad either.

In my experience in Canada it's not about how people treat you it's about how you treat them. If I'm in Quebec and make an attempt to speak french. The other person usually switches to English to avoid my terrible accent. ...

it's not always the case. Once in the bus I asked, in English, the bus driver about the direction. She asked me why wasn't I talking French. There are people like this as well. Unfortunately you don't encouter them rarely.

Others will try to speak in English with their beautiful accent.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
justinwilliams said:
yeah..my first choice was ottawa because of its proximity but everyone just kept on telling it ain't a good place to learn english. I might find myself choosing the easy way with everyone knowing french. Would you recommand some cities more than others? In the southern part cause my girlfriend wants to be close to or in big cities.

It's fine place for learning both languages. I don't know why anyone would say it wouldn't be?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
You'll be fine, justinwilliams. Don't believe some of the things fellow Quebecois will tell you about Ontario :) Mostly myths that you'll hear... you sound pretty concerned. Don't be!

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:? Justin:

If you move to Ottawa, you will do well in both languages. The majority of people in Ottawa who work in retail, i.e., the ones you are most likely to meet on a day to day basis, speak both languages.

You will be able to practise English, and be able to fall back on French when you need to.

You ARE going to meet some rednecks who are down on everybody, even themselves, so don't let them worry you. They are a minority.

There ya go:

:idea: