What are the biggest health concerns for Ottawa?

KiwiT

Jan 18, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
I'm looking for some input for some research I'm conducting.

I'll start the list and please add more!

# 1 - homeless people:
a) pretending to be homeless but just returning to their parents in Kanata
b) getting free food and shelter and not having to work (even perform chores) in return
c) actually being homeless

#2 - smoking - that's a standard one, but anyone know if there are any recent reports on whether or not the rate is declining in Ottawa?

#3 - are school children getting enough exercise - that's a series currently being published in The Sun.

See, it's actually really difficult to come up with creative health concerns.

Can anybody suggest any health trends - positive or negative - or concerns? I'd appreciate your help.

Grit86

May 8, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Apparantly we have the second highest HIV positive rate of any major Canadian city (the first being Vancouver).

You're probably finished your research, right? :oops:

Grit86

May 8, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Thank you Kreskin!

Man, this is the second "welcome" I've received in less than 24 hours. I guess our Canadian hospitality extends into the WWW as well, eh? :)

Vino

May 10, 2006
hmmm i live in Ottawa, i think its got to be the drivers....i almost got ran over on the way home today.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I live in Ottawa too, I can't think of any concerns directly related to t he city, excpet for the HIV stat posted - was news to me.

Head lice in schools is getting out of control, imho!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Re: RE: What are the biggest health concerns for Ottawa?

Grit86 said:
Thank you Kreskin!

Man, this is the second "welcome" I've received in less than 24 hours. I guess our Canadian hospitality extends into the WWW as well, eh? :)

We are good at stalking. Did you know the milk in your fridge expires May 15?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:? :? Let's see...........health concerns.........

Our provincial fibberal govt. took some lessons from the previous neolithic cons and delisted physiotherapy from services paid for by OHIP. Physio is a totally necessary service, very expensive, and must be accessed by accident victims, etc., to facilitate their return to health and the "work force". Now, they must pay for it, and, as a result, a lot don't get it. Nice work McGuintey.

Several necessary drugs have been delisted. I'll need some time to come up with their names, but they are there.

The good news is one can have all the abortions one wants, paid for at taxpayer expense. I'm all for women "having the right to choose", and "control over their own bodies". In some instances perhaps a case could be made for making intelligent choices, and exercising some self control.

So, some bad, some good, hey, welcome to Ontario.

Ugg :idea:

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Kreskin said:
Grit86 said:
Thank you Kreskin!

That's what that freakin smell is!

Some physio is covered, isn't it oldnugly?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Said1 said:
Kreskin said:
Grit86 said:
Thank you Kreskin!

That's what that freakin smell is!

Some physio is covered, isn't it oldnugly?

Yes, some is. You get put on a waiting list for the hospital physio dept......... :roll:

I guess my point was more like, not too many abused physio. You really don't get it perscribed unless you need it, and then it was great to have it covered to begin right away. Not knocking our hospitals and staff. They do the very best they can with what they have.

Ugg :)