Yorkville in the 1960's

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
There's a good book on that subject,"Have Not Been The Same" The CanRock Renaissance by Michael Barclay,Ian A.D.Jack,& Jason Schneider[ECW Press 29.95] Lots of photos ,too.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I am confused

I wrote on this topic yesterday and it isn't here.

Was it removed or is there another topic of the same title?

:?:

soniq

Jan 6, 2006
Wednesday's Child said:
I am confused

i posted 2 of this topic,thanks for the book guys

soniq

Jan 6, 2006
i searched for the book review on the internet, it says Have Not Been The Same captures the spirit of Canadian rock from 1985 to 1995
i want Yorkville(which i didnt find anything about it in the reviews) in the 1960's not 1985 to 1995!

twotoques

Jan 7, 2006
South Bruce Peninsula
hey, how about a personal memory type anecdote?

We didn't live in TO, but some of my friends ventured to Yorkville one day/night to see what the noise was about. (ca 1965/66)

I remember hippies, bikers (I believe the colours said Vagabonds MC) sitting on their Harleys drinking beer, and hippies, cops, of course, long hair, beads, beards, tie-dye, mini-skirts, sandals, go-go boots, sunglasses at night, hippies, good lookin' women, go-go dancers in windows and hippies.

Hundreds of colourful, friendly people in a small space. It was amazing to us.

I vaguely remember a club called The Mynah Bird.

And the smell of...what is that smell?...Hey, that's marijuana...let's get some.

Oh, what a night.....

ps: Rick James and Neil Young worked at The Mynah Bird in the sixities.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
soniq said:
Wednesday's Child said:
I am confused

Soniq

I thought duplicate posts were a no no...

Do you want me to move my other post? Where is it?

Still confused.....sorry. WC

soniq

Jan 6, 2006
Wednesday's Child said:
soniq said:
Wednesday's Child said:
I am confused

Soniq

I thought duplicate posts were a no no...

Do you want me to move my other post? Where is it?

Still confused.....sorry. WC
oh sorry i posted one in the off topic forums and one in the Ontario forums.

soniq

Jan 6, 2006
twotoques said:
hey, how about a personal memory type anecdote?

We didn't live in TO, but some of my friends ventured to Yorkville one day/night to see what the noise was about. (ca 1965/66)

I remember hippies, bikers (I believe the colours said Vagabonds MC) sitting on their Harleys drinking beer, and hippies, cops, of course, long hair, beads, beards, tie-dye, mini-skirts, sandals, go-go boots, sunglasses at night, hippies, good lookin' women, go-go dancers in windows and hippies.

Hundreds of colourful, friendly people in a small space. It was amazing to us.

I vaguely remember a club called The Mynah Bird.

And the smell of...what is that smell?...Hey, that's marijuana...let's get some.

Oh, what a night.....

ps: Rick James and Neil Young worked at The Mynah Bird in the sixities.
thanks man,so,so far i have found out that:
it was a hippy place,drugs,some famous singers are from there,famous shopping place(im not sure in the sixties tho)........thats about it......i hate writing essays!!
so less info!,it has to be 700 words,i only got a few lines,can somebody help me out?

soniq

Jan 6, 2006
if it was my choice i wouldnt have chosen this subject,our teacher wrote each subject on a peace of paper and he put them in a bag then he told us to take out a peace of paper,and poor me got the hardest,there were easy subjects like the avro arrow,expo 67,CBC,hockey night in canada,......but i just didnt have enough luck

Oh another question! i will use the little information i have but i need ur help to give me some ideas,let me tell u about yorkville a little:

(((((During the 1960's, Yorkville was the center of hippy culture in Canada. Many folk musicians, such as Joni Mitchell, got their start playing coffee houses in this area. However, by the early 1970's, developers moved in and transformed Yorkville into a trendy shopping district for the upper crust
In the 1960s, Yorkville flourished as Toronto's bohemian, cultural centre, and was considered by some to be the breeding grounds for some of Canada's most noted musical talents, including Joni Mitchell and Neil Young.
At that time, Yorkville was also known as the Canadian capital of counterculture and the hippie movement. In 1968, nearby Rochdale College at the University of Toronto was opened on Bloor Street as an experiment in counterculture education
Yorkville is Canada's hippie heartland. Full of coffeehouses, boutiques, longhairs, draft dodgers, and freaks, Yorkville is a tourist attraction — one where the tourists prefer to watch the excitement from the safety of their cars. In the village, the Beatle-haired kids, drugs and free love are rampant.
But the Yorkville hippies aren't all love and marijuana. , they hold a major sit-in protest in 1967 to protect their street from cops, tourists and fume-belching cars. They want to preserve their island of co-operation and love from the violence erupting in cities across the United States. But the Yorkville uprising story doesn't begin with a sit-in; it begins with a chair-in.
Home to Bohemians in the 1950s and hippies in the 1960s.)))))))

i have to do a 5 paragraph essay an essay has 3parts: 1)intro, 2)body(3 arguements that begin with a topic sentence that provides transition and link,and states the ideas supporting the thesis),3)conclusion i need help on the thesis statement and the body arguements(i need 3),u guys got any ideas?
BTW: u might think im very lazy but believe me i got no idea what to do.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Sorry about suggesting the wrong book! Try this one,instead.."Before The Gold Rush" Nicholas Jennings[Penguin 1998]16.99 Nearly the entire book is on the early Toronto music scene.

DocStillRocks

Feb 18, 2007
Soniq

Regarding Yorkville during the 60's...I was there, in the movement, the hippie scene, the music scene, the sit-ins, the love-ins, the 12 hour fantastic concerts at Varsity and so on. I frequented all the coffee houses, but spend most of my time at The Night Owl listeneing to the great sounds of Bob Smith and his band The Rock Show of the Yeomen. Great memories. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
Regarding Yorkville during the 60's...I was there, in the movement, the hippie scene, the music scene, the sit-ins, the love-ins, the 12 hour fantastic concerts at Varsity and so on. I frequented all the coffee houses, but spend most of my time at The Night Owl listeneing to the great sounds of Bob Smith and his band The Rock Show of the Yeomen. Great memories. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

I remember Bob Smith and his band. Do you remember a band called The Electric Orange? My now husband, then my boyfriend, was quite into the scene at the time. What a time it was!We were so into the Catholic Charismatic movement too. In University we talked about how we would make it all better. But did we? I don't think so. An old friends of ours, from those days, recently was over for dinner and made the comment that we are living in the type of society we dreamed of than, and we were wrong. Makes one think.

DocStillRocks

Feb 18, 2007
marygaspe Bob Smith and Yorkville

Gosh Mary what a beautiful surprise to hear from someone out there in Cyber Space remember Bob. I'm trying to remember the Electric Orange -- great name for those times! I remember Luke and The Appostles, The Ugly Duckings at Charlie Browns, Edward Bear.
Bob is a beautiful guy who still lives on in my heart. He and I became good friends; we went to High School together - sadly Bobby died in 1993. He'd had a stroke at 28, blew out his guitar hand, taught English and Drama in Brampton, and attended dialysis 3 times a week for years. I used to go with him to kill the time for him. I miss him so much. I'll never forget those great Yorkville Days.
I myself became a professional musician for 15 years and Bob came to my gigs!! Then I moved out to Vancouver and became a doctor; I'm turning 59 this year and I'm back in the studio working on an album. It's been quite a trip!!! (to say the least)

DocStillRocks

Feb 18, 2007
mapleleafgirl and Being There

Where you there? You had to be there on the inside of it to really get what was going on.
We wanted peace, and we believed loving all our brothers and sisters was the only way to get world peace. We had non-violent protests against american foreign policy in Viet Nam. I personally held young boys who had just gotten back from Nam in my arms as they cried out in insanity and pain. The National Guard openned up on university students killing 4 at Kent State. It was a time of choosing peace, flowers, love, song that melded us together.
Just like today, things have gone to hell in the world, and this old former "hippie" is turning 59, is a doctor, and my heart and mind remember and respect what we were trying to do.
Problem is, as John Lennon said, we won't "Give Peace a Chance."
I'm so grateful I was there and got to experience all that was going on; it was meaningful and often really beautiful, and it brought us all together, where even strangers were considered and treated like family.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
Where you there? You had to be there on the inside of it to really get what was going on.
We wanted peace, and we believed loving all our brothers and sisters was the only way to get world peace. We had non-violent protests against american foreign policy in Viet Nam. I personally held young boys who had just gotten back from Nam in my arms as they cried out in insanity and pain. The National Guard openned up on university students killing 4 at Kent State. It was a time of choosing peace, flowers, love, song that melded us together.
Just like today, things have gone to hell in the world, and this old former "hippie" is turning 59, is a doctor, and my heart and mind remember and respect what we were trying to do.
Problem is, as John Lennon said, we won't "Give Peace a Chance."
I'm so grateful I was there and got to experience all that was going on; it was meaningful and often really beautiful, and it brought us all together, where even strangers were considered and treated like family.

didnt have to be there to see the kind of lifestyle the hippies created. thats kinda where we are at now, a world where everybody has to do their own thing. nice one you guys gave to us. now we got guys who dont want to know their children, homosexuals getting married, drug and sex abuse and crime like crazy. yeah, nice byproduct of the 60's. just an excuse to not do anything and take dope, thats what the hippie thing was really about. we studied that period in school and our teacher said most hippies were losers who had no responsibility and who just wanted an excuse to live like pigs and take drugs.great movemtn(not)

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Thats what they taught you --lol,Oh my jealous ,

I wasn't but a speckle in that era but my parents explained that it was more about being able to speak freely and learning about many things in life instead of just one path ,it was about acceptance and nullifying the classes --like upper middle low income

At least they weren't on anti depressants and lethargic like they want us to be today --no fight just calm and conform --let us run every in to the ground and sell you out "oh and give us all your money too "

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
Thats what they taught you --lol,Oh my jealous ,

I wasn't but a speckle in that era but my parents explained that it was more about being able to speak freely and learning about many things in life instead of just one path ,it was about acceptance and nullifying the classes --like upper middle low income

At least they weren't on anti depressants and lethargic like they want us to be today --no fight just calm and conform --let us run every in to the ground and sell you out "oh and give us all your money too "

We were naive. We were determined. And we wanted to see a free and peaceful world. As a generation, for the most part, we sold out and lost our idealism. but it was a time of artistic and intellectual advancement that is still being felt to this day.

The sad thing is, that when the 60's ended, nothing had really changed. The "establishment" was still in charge. The same corporate people of the 60's were still running thw show after this decade was over. We had long hair and we had more personal freedoms and expressions, but the poor were still poor and the rich still uncaring.