The wonderful world of OSAP

LindzyRae

Nominee Member
Jan 1, 2006
Sault Ste. Marie
I'm not sure how many of you all are students who are getting OSAP, but up untill 1:00pm today I was. And now because of their rules about recieving osap I am no longer a college student. I found out earlier today that they had decided to pull the money I was counting on to survive this year. And what sends my termper flying is that they couldn't even be bothered to tell me this so I'd be prepared. And so now I have no degree, no money, no job, and of course no chance of getting back into school untill the OSAP that I owe so far is paid off.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I hear this all the time from my students, they are very manipulative and their requirements are unrealistic. In addition it's a dam loan for those who don't qualify for a grant, and grants or bursaries as they are usually called in Canada are virtually non existant. Shame!

LindzyRae

Nominee Member
Jan 1, 2006
Sault Ste. Marie
Yep, it's hard enough to be able to get OSAP (forgot to say for those that dont know OSAP is it's OntarioStudent Assistance Program) but then keeping it is also a headach. At this point I'll be 30 before I manage to get a college degree! What a joke!

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
It is very frustrating for you young people when there is no assistance involved. I'm not sure how old you are, but check out the website in my profile and pass it along if you wish to others with the same problem.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
That sucks Lindzy! Is there any kind of appeal process you can try? It might be worth a call to your MPP to see if he can do anything for you, or if there are any other options for you to try. Best of luck.

LindzyRae

Nominee Member
Jan 1, 2006
Sault Ste. Marie
I doubt it. What I was told by to financial aid office when I went in today to see if there was any paperwork they needed OSAP decided to just cut it out and there was no reason, the woman working there said it may be that I've recieved to much. What a joke, I live off no-name mac and cheese and those $0.70 condense juice. Trust me with tuition and books and rent and household stuff, I barly have any leftover. What do they expect? If worse comes to worse I may have to go back and live at my mothers. NOT something I want to do.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: The wonderful world of OSAP

bevvyd said:
ITN, it's more high profile in provincial elections than federal elections.

That would make sense considering the educational system is a provincial matter. Thanks for clarifying :D

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
OSAP is all screwed up. I think the problem is the Ontario government guarantees those loans, so they stick rules to it.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
The biggest issue Jay is that OSAP provides next to no bursaries (not being loans), you cannot strap a young person in debt at the beginning of their lives.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Yes you can. I was young when I got my first mortgage. In a credit system, debt is a foundation or an investment.

The governments in Canada pay 75% of the cost of education already......I would call that quite the subsidy for students.

There is also debt forgiveness, and my wife did receive some forgiveness for the loans she took out. So she got her education paid for to the tune of 80 - 85%.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
:lol:

So am I though. Not much has changed I guess.

(unlike you I'm still a young man! :p)

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Jay said:
Yes you can. I was young when I got my first mortgage. In a credit system, debt is a foundation or an investment.

The governments in Canada pay 75% of the cost of education already......I would call that quite the subsidy for students.

There is also debt forgiveness, and my wife did receive some forgiveness for the loans she took out. So she got her education paid for to the tune of 80 - 85%.

No grant or debt relief for me. I had to pay it all back, 100%. :(

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
There does seem to be some sort of unequal-ness about the whole thing, and I don't know what it is that makes one person get 3K forgiven and the next person no forgiveness.

To be honest, with the government flipping 75% the cost of education, I wouldn't be handing out any forgiveness to students. I just don't believe education should be completely free. In fact I...... :)

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Jay said:
There does seem to be some sort of unequal-ness about the whole thing, and I don't know what it is that makes one person get 3K forgiven and the next person no forgiveness.

To be honest, with the government flipping 75% the cost of education, I wouldn't be handing out any forgiveness to students. I just don't believe education should be completely free. In fact I...... :)

Of course not, it's just that at 18, with poor parents, a loan was the only way. Now that I make ooodles of cash (sarcasm) I can pay out of my own pocket. Yeah, moi!

I defaulted for a bit too, might explain the no relief thing! :oops:

In Ireland, secondary education is free, I often wonder about the quality of it and entry requirments.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
They do it in Germany too from my understanding. The Germans I know thought it was great, except for the "professional students" it created. Just a bunch of "kids" who don't want to go out into the work force so they just stay in school for free.

I'm under the impression education is a personal investment of time and money, so loans make the most sense to me. It also gives an incentive to not just warm a seat in a classroom....