Your thoughts on Subway expansion?

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
I was just wondering what ppl's thoughts were in the sudden interest in building toronto's subways into full-fledged pruposes instead of its halfway image. I myself am ins carbroough and am helping brigna subway to scarborough as soon as possible because the RT that Bob Rae put it is falling apart and going to be scarpped in 2012. A new subway takes about 7 years for 5 km so im hoping they get started as soon as possible, otherwise img oing to half to move out.

York univesity also wants a subway to their campus, though demand is less. Th Scarborough rt currently carries more than 40,000 ppl plus has alternative busses carrying another 14,000. Currently there are around 20,000 plus students who go to York a signifcant majroity of whom drive.

Hopefully im not ebing too biased to sacrborough but i think we've been ripped off for qutie a while since the megacity. All are schools are greatly underfunded, good teachers have lef tot private isntitutions springing up all over the place and all our major roads are horrible and 3rd world.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
We should be building subways every year... if the federal government invested in people in this city the way they do in other regions we'd have tens of $billions every year.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
The Toronto Subway is a joke. Toronto always claims to be world class, but at every opportunity it shows that it is not.

The current lines underserve the city, the routes have not expanded as the population has. That Sheppard line is terrible, it goes from nowhere to nowhere. At least the Montreal Metro actually provides transport to every in the city, including suburbs off the island.

Toronto needs to expand the main east-west line into Mississauga to Pickering at a minimum. It should have a line to York U, the airport and there should be a big line that runs across York Region. The Eglinton West line should be implemented and the Sheppard line needs to be extended at least to STC.

Toronto is a city of half ass project that never get completed. Subway lines, new Go Train lines, Expressways (ie. Gardiner, Allen, Spadina, etc).

With all that said, I'm happy living in the Eastern GTA. :)

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
I think not said:
What's wrong with Toronto? I like going there.

Toronto is a great place to visit and spend time in, but living, working and travelling within it can be quite a chore. Don't get me wrong, I love Toronto, but it could be a lot better, I mean a whole lot better.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
is there still talk of rapid transit to the airport? i remember hearing rumblings on it at one point.

in my limited experience with toronto transit (2 work terms) i liked the subway but i was walking distance to young st in north york and worked on bloor. it seemed like a good system if you were within easy access of the subway lines, but as already pointed out, it does not seem the lines cover that much of the city. The same problem can be said of RT in vancouver. The expo line is great if you are going where it runs, but i have only used it a couple times since i don't normally travel where it goes (i have never been on the millenium line).

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
Yes, but New York has an excellent public transit system.

quite true, i have never seen a better system. While I was visiting there I could get to anywhere in the 5 boroughs easily and I was a tourist! It is cheap too, one of those cards costs you like 3 bucks for a 2 way trip and it is not as dirty as you would expect. I would say that New York has imporved from a crime infested sesspool to a world class city.

I have never been on the subway in Toronto but I have been on the Ctrain in Calgary. I wish we had a subway becuase it is friggin cold in the winter, but then again Calgary is very spread out, it is like the same size "area wise" of New York City, but is 1/8th the population. So the density is not there and people here like their cars. If i lived in NYC I would never drive in that nighmare traffic though.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Roy said:
I have never been on the subway in Toronto but I have been on the Ctrain in Calgary. I wish we had a subway becuase it is friggin cold in the winter, but then again Calgary is very spread out, it is like the same size "area wise" of New York City.

The C-Train in Calgary is wonderful. It serves 3 of 4 quadrants of the city (Southwest Calgary isn't served), it has a downtown free zone along 7th avenue. The fact that it is over ground rather than underground makes no difference, except in cost. Best of all the system is continually expanding. This year, along with the next few years will see extension open in all three directions, with plans for even more expansion. The C-Train is great.

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
Jay said:
I think not said:
What's wrong with Toronto? I like going there.

It's full of Torontonians.... :)

hey i take offense, lots of us torontonians are good ppl!

regarding the airport situation the deal is about as good as cancelled, it was currupt anywayz, they were planning to use 30 year old bud cars to use GO routes from Union to the airport for $40. The new city council hasnt done anything at all (nothing new there).

Personally i perfer the creating of the eglinton line that the conservatives originally wanted in the 80's running from kennedy to the airport. I noe that would relieve congestion and many ppl such as myself would use it for travelling at pearson. Damn harris government cancelled it though, interesting to note is a conservative government wanted this and another conservative government didnt.

Rush hour is pretty bad on the bloor-danforth, delays all the time now, i take it daily and once every 3 days theres a problem or its packed to capacity