McGinty, Premier of Ontario takes decisive action

Durgan

Durgan
Oct 19, 2005
Brantford, ON
www.durgan.org
Medical evacuation of Kashechewan Reserve this afternoon,26 Oct 2005, by order of the Premier of Ontario.

The Federal Department of Indian affairs ignored the problem on the KASHECHEWAN RESERVE in Northern Ontario.

A sickness problem was caused by a water supply that took the intake downstream from the sewage lagoon.

This is Political Leadership of the highest order. Premier McGuinty instigated immediate action. He should be applauded.

Durgan.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: McGinty, Premier of O

He should be applauded.

The only problem is that he shouldn't have had to give the order. The intake should have been properly placed. It should have repaired as soon as it was found not to have been properly placed. The federal government should have given the order long before McGuinty did, since reserves fall under their jurisdiction.

McGuinty shouldn't have had to get involved at all, and he will likely face at least some fallout for doing so.

Durgan

Durgan
Oct 19, 2005
Brantford, ON
www.durgan.org
Hindsight indicates that many actions could and should have been undertaken.

McGuinty by his actions comes up looking like a hero, (which he is) at Federal expense.

It will be amusing to see how the Liberals, particularly the Minister responsible for Indian affairs responds. A few people must be squriming in there seats, if not, shitting their pants.

With all the aid for foreign disasters getting a fair amount of babbletime, it will be hard to see why the Liberals have not cleaned up smaller disasters in their own back yard.

Many reserves are small disaster areas. I don't pretend to have solutions to the problems, or even know all the problems.

One can only hope with this exposure, and action by McGuinty causes some focus on Indian Reserve problems and hopefully some meaningful solutions to improve the quality of life.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

He'll face some opposition from those who try to claim he should have acted sooner. He'll face some hard feelings from the feds. He'll also run into some opposition from those who want to know why he helped "those f*cking Indians," although they tend to put it in nicer terms these days.

The reason the Department of Indian Affairs doesn't act on these things is because they can't. They've been crippled in a political mess between the natives and Ottawa. The department can't do anything except follow policy. That throws it right back into the Minister's lap.

The last Minister of Indian Affairs that was worth a damn was Jean Chretien. That's back before he sold his soul to the political machine. He made a difference though, and it still gets federal votes on reserves to this day.

I think I was eight when Chretien had that portfolio. I'm 41 now.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I would very much doubt if any minister for Indian and Northern affairs would have intimate knowledge about individual water intakes and sewer outfals. If the sewage lagoon drain was there first, you sure as hell shouldn't put a water intake downstream from it and vice versa. No self respecting, qualified plumber would do that, so the question remains. Who did install it. If I were putting a water intake in a stream for my own use, I would have to get a building permit and provide drawings showing what I was doing for approval by the department in question. I know it's lovely to bash the politicians but somebody lower down dropped the ball on this one.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

When I lived in Battleford everybody in town knew that the intake was downstream from the outlet. That's an honest-to-god city.

I know Montreal Lake used to be the same way, although I don't know if they've fixed it.

What you have to remember about reserves, Juan, is that things have been extremely fecked up since the very beginning. Nobody cares and then the shysters move in. They do things wrong but nobody notices because of the politics. The natives and sometimes DIA scream bloody murder about it, but somehow the money never shows up and the problem never gets fixed.

I can't really explain it except to say that you have to go to some of these places to get an idea. The more remote, the better.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
When I was a kid Rev

My dad had twelve cabins, a gas pump, and a store on a little lake about ten miles north of Burns Lake. The family had a small sawmill just up the lake. We employed up to a half dozen natives at the mill doing everything from skidding in logs with a tractor to working on the green chain. These guys did fine work but we just didn't expect them back for four days after payday. Some days one of us would pick them up from the reserve. On the reserve, their well was no more than ten feet from their outhouse. I guess as long as everyone was healthy, there was no problem and it had been like that for years. Who knows?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It seems the problem should have been brought to the attention of the local Dept of Indian and Northern Affairs agent, who should have brought it to the attention of the applicable authorities, and the problem should have been solved without all the politicing. Rev, you say the problem has been there for years? Let's blame Mulroney. :wink: :lol:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Actually, blaming Mulroney isn't totally out of the question. For about a decade before he came to power, things had been getting slowly, very slowly, better on reserves. When he came to power, they began to get worse again.

Chretien and Martin did little to reverse that trend. Chretien did get the whole self-government and land-claims process rolling for real, but at the same time it was used as an excuse not to introduce other programs.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Pretty shocking story. Hard to believe this can happen in Canada. If this wasn't so serious, it would be funny to watch the feds and the province point fingers at one another. Here's what I would like to see come out of this situation:
1) a full inquiry to see how this known problem could slip between the cracks of provincial and federal responsibility. Obviously there needs to be some kind of mechanism here to prevent this.
2) an intense self-examination from both the feds and the provincial liberals to see who dropped the ball here. Heavy public pressure will help - be sure to write you MP & MPP.
3) a broader discussion about the status of natives in the country - there needs to be some change. Everything on the table, including complete abolition of the 'Native Affairs' ministries at all levels. Maybe its time to rethink this whole two tier, special status approach. It doesnt' seem to be working.

I hope that the debate will focus on actual solutions rather than partisan finger pointing... but i wont' hold my breath.

Sad.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My problem Mike, is that I don't think natives are that stupid. Who would put a water intake downstream of a sewer outfall? I think we are too willing to blame whitey for all native problems. It is time the first nations people start to think for themselves. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the water intake should be upstream of the sewer outfall. Someone mentioned that there are other situations where natives have to boil their water. Surely to God the natives are not just learning today that you shouldn't have your well downhill, or downstream, from your toilet. They are not babies. Enough already.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
You have to understand the way things work though. In this case the band had a plan for an $18 million dollar project. They were told to do it with $4 million. Corners get cut, things get done wrong, and nobody catches it because there's no money to do the checking with. People bring it up, but they are told to write a report and have an expert analysis done. There's no money for that either.

In this case, the band did write a report. It's been on the minister's desk for a couple of months. They complained for a very long time before that. They've talked to their MP, and the Department of Indian Affairs, and the minister. Their MP has talked to the Department and the minister. Nothing has been done.

There are currently 51 reserves under boil water advisories. Several have been under those advisories for over five years.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Rev, I'm sure you remember the gasoline sniffing children at a little place called Davis Inlet just a few years ago. The fed's solution at that time was to throw money at the problem. The problem was, that the parents weren't looking after their children. What the feds did was build another town a few miles away complete with water and sewer and all the infrastructure but the fact still remains that there are no jobs and it is unlikely there ever will be jobs in that area. Game is scarce and that problem is not likely to improve either. Meanwhile the kids are still neglected after the feds spent a third of a billion dollars on a couple hundred natives who are now complaining that the houses are too small and there are not enough of them. Where does it end? I'm not a racist and I want to see the natives do well but this is not the way.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
#juan said:
Rev, I'm sure you remember the gasoline sniffing children at a little place called Davis Inlet just a few years ago. The fed's solution at that time was to throw money at the problem. The problem was, that the parents weren't looking after their children. What the feds did was build another town a few miles away complete with water and sewer and all the infrastructure but the fact still remains that there are no jobs and it is unlikely there ever will be jobs in that area. Game is scarce and that problem is not likely to improve either. Meanwhile the kids are still neglected after the feds spent a third of a billion dollars on a couple hundred natives who are now complaining that the houses are too small and there are not enough of them. Where does it end? I'm not a racist and I want to see the natives do well but this is not the way.

Therein lies the problem, the areas that they have had to settle into usually do lack resources and is relatively scarce with game, but being their home they are loath to leave the area. They can leave the town but you'd never get to take a community that really has nothing and move every individual to a city elsewhere where there are more opportunities. Everyone would be homesick and want to go back to their home area. But you can't create jobs out of thin air also . Boredom then sets in and you get drinking and other nasty stuff that is associated with the problems you do see. Then there's always a few bad apples that don't use the money given for the people wisley, much like the new problems from Davis inlet with the leaders pocketing it.

You can't take them away from the land, but to maintain a sedentary 21st century lifestyle in northern areas are very expensive and difficult to make it pay for itself. I'd move back at the drop of a hat if I could but realistically I'd go nowhere and end up on social assistance just to get by. So I stay down south, and suffer the fact I can't get home.

There are many in northern communities that try to get things motivated for a more economical living. Opening up Fisheries in Cambridge Bay for instance, art from Pond inlet and Holman Island, Tourism and Trophy hunting is also a big thing, but most businesses have to be government run or supported, private ventures usually don't last very long in small isolated communities, and are very expensive to maintain.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It's a very complex problem, or actually set of problems, Juan. It's important to remember that it took well over a century for things to get this fecked up too...it isn't going to be fixed overnight.

The water problem being in Ontario is almost a blessing when it comes to natie problems though. If the same thing had happened in Manitoba or Saskatchewan (and it has and is), we wouldn't be talking about this right now.

It happened in the province where a bunch of white people died from bad water not all that long ago though. It also happened in the province where the press is most active. Walkerton is being mentioned in all of the news stories today. Suddenly the story isn't a bunch of natives that can be ignored until a special follow-up report can focus on the failures, it's a group of people in a small community. First Nations peoples have, at least for a little while, suddenly been humanised. It's making people squirm like hell.

We...you, me, the government, the opposition, the native groups, and this specific band...are suddenly in a position where the problem has to be solved. Not only does the problem have to solved on Kashechewan, but it has to be solved on the other reserves where it's been ignored.

Phil Fontaine is on the record as saying the Liberal government has come up with a good plan. I know a little about Fontaine and I don't put a lot of stock in what he says, but I also know that he can be a good leader when he has to be. Maybe he'll shine under the pressure. I don't think he can afford to do his usual job.

Mininster of Indian Affairs Andy Scott, oddly enough, seems to have been working very quietly to come up with long-term solutions that some say are good. We'll have to wait and see.

I talked to few people in Scott's department here and in Saskatchewan in the last couple of days. They are kind of freaked right now...afraid that they'll get the fallout. That's unfortunate because most of the people I know in the department are there because they, at some point, wanted to make a difference.

One person I talked to is almost ecstatic because he thinks this will be enough to get past the politics (federal and within the First Nations) and actually allow some real solutions to be found.

I know that you are tired of the money being spent, Juan. The thing is that we can spend money and solve the problems, or more accurately help the natives solve the problems, which this latest disaster will hopefully help drive; or we can patch this up until the news cameras go back to Toronto and keep spending money poorly forever.

So far we've chosen to spend money poorly, hopefully that will change now.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
How Kashechewan created a political stampede
KASHECHEWAN FIRST NATION, ONT. -- It was all started by a man named Lloyd McDonald.

Flown in to be principal of the Kashechewan elementary school at the beginning of the school year, the veteran 52-year-old teacher knew the makings of a scandal when he saw one.

On Oct. 14, when a fax arrived from Health Canada at the band council office stating that laboratory results showed the drinking water was contaminated with E. Coli, he swung into action.

First, Mr. McDonald, who has worked in schools on other reserves in the North and is a passionate advocate for first nations, closed the elementary school and called a meeting of teachers.

Advertisements

Then, backed by a group of mostly non-aboriginal teachers he worked with, he hatched a media campaign to bring national attention to Kashechewan's appalling conditions.

The effort was so successful it ended up embarrassing Ontario's top politicians and brought a rare admission of failure from Prime Minister Paul Martin. More importantly, it pressed authorities into making a pledge of federal funds in the hundreds of millions of dollars, a huge civilian evacuation of the reserve and even the deployment of the army.

"It was Lloyd McDonald that thought up the program for the media," Chief Leo Friday told The Globe and Mail.

"It was a campaign that ended up hammering the House of Commons."

While federal and provincial authorities were arguably negligent in their handling of the crisis at Kashechewan before it made national headlines, evidence suggests that now they have gone too far the other way, needlessly funding a huge evacuation and sending in the army to provide quality water that is already on tap.

Based on a series of interviews with teachers, politicians, band representatives and water officials, The Globe has pieced together the events that led up to the scandal surrounding Kashechewan.

It provides for a more complex understanding of the crisis and suggests that the effects of poor-quality water on the health of the local population were exaggerated by those with a broader agenda.

There can be little argument that Kashechewan is a deserving case for extra funding from the federal authorities. It is probably among Canada's poorest and most neglected reserves.

Its origins date back to the 1950s when a Cree band living at Old Post, a former Hudson's Bay trading post, split up after a dispute over religion fomented by white missionaries. Most of the Roman Catholics moved to Fort Albany on the south side of the Albany River while the Anglicans moved into tents on the northern shore.

In 1957 the government began building a settlement for the Kashechewan First Nation but, according to the band elders, ignored advice that the houses should be further upstream to prevent water damage. They say government officials argued that if the settlement were further upstream the barges carrying supplies would not be able to reach it.

Ever since, the community has been subjected to spring flooding. Floodwater has seeped into the basements of the houses and caused structural problems and endemic mould.

Over the years the band periodically called for relocation to higher ground but was ignored by federal authorities who said the costs would be too high. Its remoteness meant that, for the most part, little attention was paid to the reserve.

Chief Friday said that last week's decision by the government to relocate Kashechewan was nothing more than the just amends of a 48-year-old crime against his band.

"I believe this corrected a historical wrong," he said. "Most people in the community feel the same way."

Perhaps, ironically, the water in the taps in Kashechewan is now better than it has been for years. For the past two weeks it has met both federal and provincial drinking water standards.

Records at the water treatment plant, taken by an independent expert, show that the water was free of bacteria shortly after Oct. 14, when the E. coli results were first reported. For at least the past 10 days, the chlorine levels, too, have been normal and often even lower than in larger towns to the south.

The readings raise the question as to why the provincial government began an evacuation at the end of last week, which involves huge costs and dislocation for the natives of Kashechewan.

It also casts doubt on the wisdom of the federal decision to send in the army in an unprecedented mission in Hercules transport planes with a large mobile water purifier -- a system that only became operational early this week.

Under ordinary circumstances, one water expert working in Kashechewan said, even the long-standing boil-water advisory would probably have been rescinded by now.

Chris LeBlanc, an outside contractor who works for Northern Waterworks, flew in to take over at the water treatment plant in Kashechewan on Oct. 15, at the request of the federal government.

He said that after initial work fixing the chlorination machine all tests for E. coli at the plant have been negative.

He explained that the standard procedure was to remove a boil-water advisory after two back-to-back negative results for the bacteria and that Kashechewan's water has had three such tests.

"In a provincial setting even the boil-water advisory would most likely have been removed by now," he said. "I've been happily drinking it."

There are also questions about the extent to which the quality of the water caused the reserve's health problems in the first place.

The scandal of Kashechewan's contaminated water, with its echoes of Walkerton five years before, made headlines across the country. The charge was that the government had allowed this impoverished Cree First Nation to be poisoned by E. coli that caused terrible skin infections and then subjected them to levels of chlorine that exacerbated their suffering.

Pictures of children with terrible sores and skin complaints were circulated as evidence.

Locals, backed by Mr. McDonald, argued that water laced with E. Coli and high levels of chlorine caused scabies and impetigo.

But the head of the Emergency Medical Assessment Team, which treated Kashechewan residents, said while many of the 800 or so patients they treated had skin conditions, scabies and impetigo cases were related to hygiene, not water.

Dr. Chris Mazza, the president of Ontario Air Ambulance, which oversees the team, said in an interview from Sudbury that residents had minor skin irritations and rashes caused by chlorine in the water. Some suffered from acute diarrhea, which lasts a few days; others suffered from chronic diarrhea, which lasts weeks. Because of the diarrhea, there were some cases of dehydration among small children.

Dr. Mazza said some of the illnesses among Kashechewan residents are directly or indirectly attributable to the water .

"The diarrhea you can lock up for sure, that's because of the water," he said.

More serious skin conditions such as scabies and impetigo "were not caused by the water, but because people can't use the water. I can't say with scientific certainty that the cramps and stomach pains were caused by the water, but I have strong suspicions."

Cheryl Rosen, head of dermatology at Toronto Western Hospital, said scabies is caused by mites, whereas impetigo is caused by bacteria. Both conditions can spread quickly in crowded conditions, but E. coli doesn't cause either of these illnesses, Dr. Rosen said.

"E. coli is not a biggie in causing skin conditions."

That is not to say that water quality hasn't been a problem for years. Many residents reported the water was often brown or yellow.

The reserve had been on a boil-water advisory for two years and intermittently before that.

Mr. LeBlanc said that when he arrived he found the chlorination machine at the water treatment plant had broken down. As a result local technicians were manually adding chlorine to the water.

But since then, when the E. coli outbreak was first reported, chlorine levels have never been more than 2.7 mg per litre. The maximum allowable level is 4.0 mg per litre.

According to Mr. LeBlanc, 2.7 mg per litre is no higher than the maximum level reached by the city of Timmins -- the destination of many of the relocated residents -- during the same period.

The average chlorination in Kashechewan for the past two weeks, Mr. LeBlanc said, has been lower than in Timmins.

Interviews have uncovered no evidence that the band council or its team of volunteers helping with publicity purposefully misled the media.

If E. coli was the fuse for the political crisis over Kashechewan, then Mr. McDonald set the match.

When the fax arrived on his desk on Aug. 14 he wasted no time in closing down his school.

Later, colleagues say, he telephoned Minister of Indian and Northern Affairs Andy Scott personally and berated him for his inaction.

When the department failed to deliver on its promise to provide enough fresh water for residents to drink and bathe, Mr. McDonald joined forces with opposition politicians to push for greater national attention.

Andrew Lychak, a 30-year-old teacher, said: "He's the kind of guy who can move heaven and earth. Because of his passion and his ability to express himself in English, he became the spokesman for the chief."

The secondary school, under principal Judy Stephen, was also alerted by the band leadership to the report of E. Coli in the water on Oct. 14 and followed suit, sending the children home just before 3 o'clock.

"We just heard this announcement on the PA system that we should take the children out of class," Mr. Lychak said. "Then all we heard was these rumours circulating about E. coli."

Over the days that followed, the volunteer public relations team and Mr. McDonald put together a campaign to try to embarrass the federal authorities into action.

They looked up numbers in the phone book, hand wrote faxes and contacted dozens of news media outlets.

"We spent hours making lists, writing up the press releases and phoning and e-mailing," one of the teachers said.

Chief Friday or Rebecca Friday, his sister-in-law and the deputy chief, gave permission to proceed, where it was needed.

On Oct. 21, Mr. Scott, under increasing pressure from Mr. McDonald, finally came to the reserve. But he offered the natives little other than a commitment to increase the supply of bottled water.

The teachers, now incensed and passionate about their cause, began sending out dozens more press releases by e-mail and fax.

"There was a real anger after the Scott meeting," Mr. Lychak said. "It was as if all the anger among the people here had built up and was ready to burst."

Quoting doctors and researchers who had visited Kashechewan in the wake of the E. coli report, the reserve's new media team sent out more reports of contaminated water and skin diseases.

Though they did not explicitly say so, the implication was that the two were linked.

The band leaders, now emboldened, threatened to demand an evacuation if their request for relocation was not met.

Meanwhile, the region's elected representatives -- MP Charlie Angus and MPP Gilles Bisson, both New Democratic Party members -- joined the activists. They organized news conferences, first in Toronto and then in Ottawa, for Chief Friday to highlight Kashechewan's plight.

Dr. Murray Trusler, who works at the hospital in Moose Factory, 100 kilometres to the south, and had visited Kashechewan recently, travelled with the chief. He showed reporters slide shows of the terrible medical and housing conditions on the reserve.

Chief Friday said he was amazed at the response.

When the band had last held a news conference in Toronto, after a housing study in 2000 concluded that living conditions were squalid, they had been largely ignored by the news media.

This time his complaints aroused national interest.

On Tuesday, Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty berated the federal government for its failure to act. He promised the province would launch an evacuation of the reserve.

Two days later, the NDP arranged an air charter from Timmins for the media to travel to Kashechewan to see the conditions for themselves.

There were carefully choreographed protesters waiting for them at the airport demanding federal action. Henry Koosees, a resident, gave an impassioned speech accusing the government of being racist.

After that, Mr. Scott presented Chief Friday with a document that pledged to meet every one of Kashechewan's demands.

"When I saw that I was really stunned," Chief Friday said. "I thought there would just be talk of studies, studies and more studies. But they gave us exactly what we wanted."

A spokesman for Mr. Scott said the plan for improving conditions at Kashechewan would have been put in place regardless of any media pressure stemming from the discovery of E. coli in the drinking water.

In August, Mr. Scott attended a meeting in Timmins of a task force that had been struck to give relief to the community, said Dan Brian of Indian and Northern Affairs. That was the genesis of a short-term and long-term plan for addressing a wide range of issues including water, housing, education, social services and health care, he said.

"It was accelerated because the [water] test results basically overtook the work of the task force," Mr. Brian said. So, last week, the government announced there would be new homes, safe water, more nurses and possibly a new school.

By the time the decision was made to evacuate the reserve, Mr. McDonald, who had orchestrated the campaign from the beginning, was gone. He had been flown out earlier in the week to be treated for stomach problems. (He has since returned.)

Contacted by telephone in Moose Factory, where he was convalescing, he was unapologetic about the decisive role he had played.

He said: "I did as much as I could to get the politicians up there. I raised holy hell. I love the children and the community. It's breaking my heart what's going on with the first nations. It killed me to work with children who were sick, infected and not properly housed.

"It's true E. Coli was just the tip of the iceberg. The government have totally ignored, avoided and done nothing but disservice to the first nations of this country. Paul Martin probably knows my name by now and he probably hates me. But I don't give a crap."

Durgan

Durgan
Oct 19, 2005
Brantford, ON
www.durgan.org
Well done Mr. McDonald. A few years ago the Star or Globe ran a story about the wonderful conditions of the reserves. I knew it was crap. I Emailed Rosie and suggested she start on some of the Nothern Reserves for a realistic picture of conditions. No result. Out of sight out of mind. Well done Mr. McDonald.

Quote.
Its origins date back to the 1950s when a Cree band living at Old Post, a former Hudson's Bay trading post, split up after a dispute over religion fomented by white missionaries. Most of the Roman Catholics moved to Fort Albany on the south side of the Albany River while the Anglicans moved into tents on the northern shore. Unquote.

Religion raising its ugly head again. The curse of the world.
Durgan.