Moving across Canada

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I'm leaving Victoria (if you can believe anyone would) for Ottawa (again, sounds crazy). But there is work to be done in Ottawa and I must be there. So I'm driving, Feb. 25th. I want to know if anyone has done this here and how far to drive and where to stay. What b and b's are recommended? Leaving Victoria, what’s a decent amount of distance to drive? How much am I going to spend on gas, and if it is possible to take in all that Saskatchewan has to offer in two days. I think I can make it less than 10 days at a leisurely pace. I'll visit some relatives along the way too. So, who's done it, what have they learned, and how many hours of therapy did it take to recover.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
gonzo....tell us you're not moving for good are you? is it just temporary insanity with dollars involved?

man, i don't think i could do more than about 15 hours a day in a car. i get car sick, so i'm probably not the best person to ask. i usually just zoom to where i am going and then zoom back. usually travelling in darkness. honestly. not so many cars on the road. don't know if i can do it now though, night vision and all. i guess i could get night vision goggles... 8O

good luck buddy, and make sure to write. hey - send us a daily update - that would be so kewl. 8)

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I'm going to take pics of the whole journey, from the mountains of BC to the majestic flatness of the prairie provinces. I'll put them up on photobucket. I'm sure it'll be a shock driving through snow again, especially after the weather we've been having in Victoria. I must be mad. But it is a dollar thing. Money talks (and moves you to colder climates).

alsocanadian

Feb 17, 2005
Canada
alsocanadian.blogspot.com
I did Vic to Ottawa in 5 days. I had my brother with me to share the driving, so we went pretty much all day, finding cheap motels at dusk.
We went via the US, took the I 90 pretty much the whole way. Pretty nice scenery going that way, with the Badlands being the high point for us. Sturgis was cool.
You save a heck of alot in fuel costs, its soo much cheaper down there.
Only problem with the US is that its full of Americans :wink: , and if you got a dark complexion, dont be doing any sight seeing around any nuclear reactors, etc.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Gonzo don't forget about the borg and stay in touch with us and keep us posted on your trip..you should start a blog over in the community centre of your trip.

I have been across canada many times, all my cousins and kin live back there..my parents came out in the wagon train to settle the wilds of Vancouver island :p They have good fishing in northern ontario...I caught a big muskie there once visiting my nanny on the shores of lake huron. Nice country northern ontario...course the trees are tooth picks but nobody's perfect :p

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
I drove Thunder Bay to Edmonton in one day. Not much to see in Saskatchewan. Although, if you can time it to be driving through the prairies at sunset, you should, they have absolutely amazing sunsets.

Stop at Kakabekka Falls in Thunder Bay too. I bet this time of year it would be just beautiful, and quiet (tourist wise)....

You can hit the giant nickle too if you stay on the Trans Canada (I had a friend who was crazy about the "biggest crazy things" in Canada, so I had to stop at the giant nickle for her)...

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
I think I might know of a couple of good B&B's in Kenora, Vermillion Bay & Dryden area. give me a day or two to find some business cards...then PM me.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Hey! Gonzo

I've travelled alot of miles in Canada.

If your single ....
Put an ad in the paper and advertise that your travelling to Ontario and see if someone else wants to go-along and share the gas money. Otherwise; it is pretty boring sh?t.

The worst is Kenora, (Northern Ontario). Up hills and down hills and around corners for miles and miles. Travel that area at night so that you can sort of cruise.

Put a construction hardhat in your back window so that the cops will leave you alone. Not a white supervisors hat .... some dirty ol' yellow hat.

Drive Toronto to Ottawa during the day. Most all the cops are in court. Drive really slow when going through Kingston, Ontario. The cops there could be absolutely criminal!

Fill up your car with pot and tobacco products and I'll meet you at 666 Hide-Away-Lane, in Toronto.

Oh! Yeah .... Sell your umbrella. You won't need it in Ontario.

Calm

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Take the Yellowhead through Saskatchewan. It's got some rolling hills and stuff. It's a much nicer drive in the winter...not much traffic except for you and the truckers. There's not much to see in that part of Saskatchewan this time of year though. There's the potash mine at Esterhazy, but they've limited access to it so you can't get your friends to give you rides in the buckets of the big loaders anymore.

If you were coming through in the summer I know a few little tourist attractions, like the Luthi House. They shut down in the winter though.

Mind you, if you stop in S'toon there's the Western Development Museum...that's cool. Then you can pound the 8-1/2 or 9 hours to Winnipeg. While here you should check out the Museum of Natural History and walk around the Exchange District a bit. The Exchange District is the part of town where they shoot the movies because it looks like 1920's Chicago. There's also The Forks, where the rivers come together. There's a really cool walking bridge there. Again, not much going on in the winter. You're coming just a little too late for Festival du Voyageur.

Give me a call when you're here, we'll grab a beer or something.

When you pull out of Winnipeg, plan on making Thunder Bay...that's another 8 or 9 hours. You won't see much but rocks and trees once you hit the Ontario border. At first you'll think it's pretty, but soon you'll realize that it's dead boring. You'll be tempted to speed. Don't. There are a lot of moose on that road, they come up to lick the salt in the winter, and if you hit one you will be killed. Also, the truckers are all insane, so be careful.

Definitely check out Kekkabekka falls when you are in Thunder Bay. It's very cool, especially if there's some ice on it. I used to stay in a hotel that was just south of town in Thunder Bay...nice quiet little place. It's a Best Western, but I can't remember the exact name.

Next time you come through, make it in the summer. There's a lot more going on.

allsport

Jul 11, 2006
i am moving from victoria to barrie this august. i dont think i am crazy..i am really looking forward to the true canadian seasons! I am mainly concerned about costs of renting a uhaul or what not. I have a vehicle i need to get there. in addition, i have a couch and bed and then some random stuff but not too much. Anyone know the cheapest way to do this???
(I noted the US route..good point and thanks!)

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:? Unless you are really attached to your couch and bed, sellem, and buy used when you get to Barrie. Pack the car full, and throw everything else away.
Camp out on the way. Bathe in streams. Eat wild berries. Poach game and fish.

Cheap enough?? :D

Enjoy the good life in............"Barrie"? :roll:

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Well, it's been over a year since I moved to Ottawa and I'm glad. Look at the weather in BC now!! The drive was expensive though. I could of sold allot of stuff I dont need and shipped everything else home and flew. Would of been cheaper, but I wanted to see Canada. Now that I have a good job (couldn't find one in Victoria) I want to drive back again as a vacation and see all the sights I missed. I'd like to stay longer in the rockies, and drive up north to the Yukon.
For some reason, when I was driving my U-Haul to Ottawa, I was pulled over twice by the cops in Ontario. For no reason!!

walhar

Aug 17, 2006
Hey gonzo,

How long did it take you to do this, how many hours a day did you drive. I am leaving in September to Toronto from Van and am having a hard time finding info. I want to have a fast trip but will be with kids. How much in Gas did it cost?

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
You can skip Northern ontario by crossing the border and coming through Sarnia.Be careful there because the people are mostly in-bred. Alo,you have to take in Moose Jaw,erotic capital of the world.They have what is supposed to be underground tunnels supposedly used by Al Capone, The rest of Canada calls them sewers.Enjoy!!

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I drove for about 10 hours a day, except my last day which I drove for 14 hours to get home. It was fun. No kids. Just a cat. I wanted to see most of Canada so I took highway 1. You should take more then a week to do it. Ontario goes on forever. The roads are dangerous there. There are hotels along the way but plan to be in a city in the prairies. Theres allot of nothing there.

walhar

Aug 17, 2006
I think I am gonna drive from Van to Winnipeg, cross over to the US instead of driving through Ontario, then cross over in Sarnia. I would like to do this in 6 days driving. Is that to much to expect?

walhar

Aug 17, 2006
Does any one know how much the motels are nightly along the trans canada, any really cheap ones that are just a warm place to sleep?

Filmie

Apr 8, 2008
Im so happy I found this thread! My boyfriend and I are planning to do basically the exact same trip - I live in Barrie, he lives in Ottawa, and we're meeting up in the middle, and the plan is to take the Trans Can highway to move out to Victoria! Going through Canada was intentional, so that we could finally see lots of the provinces of our true north strong and free.
Ive heard some things though...ie. That it can be crazy scary driving through the mountains. True? False?
Can anyone suggest some good moving companies to go cross country? We don't have a ton of stuff
Can anyone suggest a good pet moving company? I have a cat that hates traveling, and I really don't know if I can handle him freaking out for a week inside a cage in my car.

Are there any things that I should try and do before leaving Ontariariario? As in official stuff - driving insurance transfers, etc? Any help would be awesome!

mmeyer

Feb 4, 2009
Can anyone suggest some good moving companies to go cross country? We don't have a ton of stuff
Can anyone suggest a good pet moving company? I have a cat that hates traveling, and I really don't know if I can handle him freaking out for a week inside a cage in my car.

I'm happy I hired north american moving company for my last move. I would give them a very high rating. The overall move is what most influenced my rating. Everything was perfect.

As far as pet moving, check online as far as tips. Sorry I can't help there I don't have any pets!

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
I am going to give you the straight guff on this. I have been from coast to coast for the last 4-5 Winters, both through the States and Canada. I do not do the B&B treatment. I sleep in the back of the SUV for two nights and get a room every third. I don't plan a route, and I have had my wheels in every State but Florida, Hawaii, and Alaska and have not been to the Territories either.

This time of year I would suggest going through the States if you want to get out of the car and do things along the way. Its nice in Vic. but the rest of the country is a snowy, salty snowball. You can take the secondaries through Canada to a point, but they are slipper and if I didn't have a 4x4 - No way I would do it. Spring, Summer, and Fall the only reason I would not travel Canada is the Gas price. Cities are all tight and messy with snow. If it is less then frigid temp take an extra bottle of window washer at all times.

Through the States - I did not check today - Gas is about 25% cheaper after exchange. The highest you will find is in Cali. about 25% higher than the rest of the country. Almost all the roads in the States are paved. (I have been on roads discribed as horse trails over mountains that are smooth blacktop - trailer not recommended there.) As for the trailer get a good crown lock ( Flat locks you see on railway switches) they are hardest to get through. Inventory the items and place a door seal on the trailer at the US border after inspection. Politely ask that the seal be noted on the report, the Canadians will see it when you cross back over ( not that they will mention it. For some reason they still think we don't know their computers are linked. Play along.) If you stay at a highway motel most have security, but if you take secondaries and do the small towns - they are just plain folk.

8hrs you can be below the snow line then pass throught the mountain snow, then you don't have to see snow again till Buffalo and upstate NY. Lower NY is almost Spring now.

I am a bit of a road racer so I like the twisty curvy roads so I take as many mountain ranges in as I can - I can play on without speeding. If you don't feel safe at the speed limit slow down. America is a good place to travel, second only to Canada except in Winter. Stay away from large cities and crime is next to unseen.

This time of year travelling through the States will get you to your destination faster, cleaner, safer, and a lot more relaxed. Any other time of year I think the US is too hot and the scenery is too nice up here.

Hope this helped a bit.