Trudeau says his dad got his brother help in dealing with pot charge

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Decriminalize pot now: NDP

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau smoked marijuana as an MP but he has not suffered the same consequences as Canadians who are slapped with simple pot charges, NDP Leader Tom Mulcair said Tuesday —an example, he says, of "abject hypocrisy."

Mulcair took aim at Trudeau for his assertion that he wants to make things fairer for those facing pot-possession charges once marijuana becomes legal next year — a comment he made during a segment with Vice Canada on Monday.

The NDP has repeatedly called for an amnesty on charges for possessing small amounts of pot, but nothing has been done.
Trudeau doesn't seem to care about Canadians who face charges, even though a plan is in place to revoke the prohibition, Mulcair said during a news conference.

"When you're of that background and you're privileged and you've always had everything given to you and you are treated differently, that's what he is used to, isn't it?" he said.

"He doesn't find it at all abnormal that he can admit to smoking marijuana while he was a member of Parliament and at the same time say, 'The law is the law and you will be prosecuted if you smoke marijuana.'

He also conceded that other Canadians, including marginalized people, are treated unfairly in the legal system despite the fact "Canada is supposed to be fair for everybody."

The Conservatives pounced on that story Tuesday in a fundraising email to argue that Trudeau is a privileged elitist who is out of touch with ordinary Canadians.

"Once again, it's a case of one set of rules for the Trudeaus and another for the rest of Canada," the email said.

"Not having to worry about a drug charge because your dad will just 'take care of it.' Justin Trudeau is completely disconnected from the reality that most Canadians live in."

Earlier this month, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale told The Canadian Press that blanket pardons for those with pot convictions is not "on the agenda at the moment."

Trudeau could move quickly to decriminalize marijuana but refuses to do so, Mulcair said Tuesday.

"Mr. Trudeau's lame answer is 'Oh, it is because organized crime would somehow be selling marijuana,"' Mulcair said.

"This just in: that's the case now. That was the case when Mr. Trudeau admitted he was smoking marijuana and that's going to be the case until the new system is in place, but that's not a reason to prosecute young people for smoking marijuana."

Anne-Marie McElroy, a criminal defence lawyer based in Ottawa said simple pot possession charges remain taxing for the legal system.

"It still requires a person attending court and going through the steps of having it prosecuted," she said.

Federal NDP pushes Trudeau to decriminalize weed following pot remarks - Politics - CBC News

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Anyone who has a relative that got help from another relative with a legal problem is unfit to be Prime Minister of Canada!

Impeach! Impeach! Impeach!

(Do y'all do impeachment?)

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Anyone who has a relative that got help from another relative with a legal problem is unfit to be Prime Minister of Canada!

(Do y'all do impeachment?)
Hypocrisy is the issue. Many people do not have contacts to help them out and Trudeau has the ability to rectify that...........

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Hypocrisy is the issue. Many people do not have contacts to help them out and Trudeau has the ability to rectify that...........
You mean. . . the world's not perfect?

I'm shocked and amazed! How could this state of affairs have come about?

Next you'll be telling me that some people are ridiculously rich while others can't afford the basic necessities! C'est incroyable!

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
its called legalization
;)
duh!
lawyer?...no need for those F-tards
hahahahahahhahahaha

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
You mean. . . the world's not perfect?

I'm shocked and amazed! How could this state of affairs have come about?
So you're obviously okay with a different set of rules for people of different financial or social stature. Good to know, I guess we won't be hearing any complaining from you about the supposed insidious race or social inequality crap that seems to be infesting our sensitive societal standards these days...I guess that's some progress.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So you're obviously okay with a different set of rules for people of different financial or social stature. Good to know, I guess we won't be hearing any complaining from you about the supposed insidious race or social inequality crap that seems to be infesting our sensitive societal standards these days...I guess that's some progress.
Only if you're stupid enough to presume that recognizing a reality is the same as being okay with it.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
Only if you're stupid enough to presume that recognizing a reality is the same as being okay with it.
So your comment about Trudeau Sr. using his privilege and status to help with a legal problem (or as junior phrased it in his interview...make the charges "go away") making him unfit to be Prime Minister wasn't sarcasm? You actually feel this way?

Lil spud has the ability to help "make the charges go away" for a lot of Canadians by simply decriminalizing from now until it becomes legalized and by offering amnesty for anyone who has been criminally charged, but he has chosen not to do either. He's either a hypocrite or inept....or both.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
So your comment about Trudeau Sr. using his privilege and status to help with a legal problem (or as junior phrased it in his interview...make the charges "go away") making him unfit to be Prime Minister wasn't sarcasm? You actually feel this way?

Lil spud has the ability to help "make the charges go away" for a lot of Canadians by simply decriminalizing from now until it becomes legalized and by offering amnesty for anyone who has been criminally charged, but he has chosen not to do either. He's either a hypocrite or inept....or both.

Heard on the radio last week that once recreational pot is legalized then those who've been charged with pot offenses will have their cases reviewed.

Most offenses with a "couple of joints" are dismissed or never even brought up. There is no on person in a Canadian prison for possession of a few joints.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Justin' s mom Maggie was a hardcore pot smoker and coke slut.

That family has drug problems, no surprise he legalized weed.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No. What does that have to do with what I said?

Certainly a hypocrite. He is, after all, a politician. Hypocrisy is kinda a prerequisite.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
No. What does that have to do with what I said?

It was a question...sarcasm or your actual position.

I took it as sarcasm, in which case you are implying that a PM of Canada using their position and connections to make a relative's drug charge go away is acceptable. If so, you certainly shouldn't have a problem with anyone using their financial or social status to bypass the system for their own advantage.

If it wasn't sarcasm then in your state of "shock and amazement" you contradict yourself, in which case my presumptions are of little consequence to your current state of confusion. Help is available.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Trudeau's advice to Torontonian with possession charges

The 22-year-old Torontonian who asked Prime Minister Justin Trudeau what he should do about his marijuana possession charges told CBC Radio's Metro Morning Wednesday the answer he got struck him as "deflective."

Malik Scott was charged with possession after police found a small amount of pot in his jacket pocket.

At a town hall event hosted by Vice Media, Scott asked the prime minister what he should do about those charges given that legalization is around the corner.

"I have to recognize, there's a lot of unfairness to Canadians in the current approach," Trudeau responded before sharing a story about his late brother Michel, who also faced possession charges almost 20 years ago after police found a few joints in his car after an accident.

"I think the whole situation with his father getting his brother out of all his charges is really unfair for everyone who doesn't have those type of connections, which is the majority of people," said Scott, adding that he felt that the story wasn't really a direct answer to his question.

Still, he said he did appreciate the prime minister's attempt to recognize his own family's privilege.

"I think he said that to make a point that the justice system is flawed, he knows that," said Scott.

As for whether he can hope for amnesty in the months to come, Trudeau told him he would "start a process where we try and look at how we are going to make things fairer for those folks [with charges] and for you."

The first priority, said Trudeau, is to legalize and change the legislation to "fix what's broken."

Trudeau also dismissed the idea of decriminalizing marijuana before legalization and returned to a point he's made in the past — until recreational weed is legal, the current law stands.

That leaves Scott with the same anxiety as he had before the town hall: he's concerned that being found guilty would be "horrible" for his future and prevent him from getting the kind of job he wants.

video

Justin Trudeau's advice to Torontonian with possession charges confirmed his fears of 'unfair' system - CBC.ca | Metro Morning

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
its called legalization
;)
duh!
lawyer?...no need for those F-tards
hahahahahahhahahaha

Where are the legalization articles kept for tomatoes?
Must I have license for mold? You can take the free grass outta my cold dead hand, government is not in the formula. Let them dictate and they tax your air and your sunlight and your water and that which they dare not do.

They don't make law, we do.

Are any of you following the legislation with respect to potatoes?

He's both and then some.

I'll do what I want to with the approval of my neighbors, they will decide my limits and fits and no one else..

Scholarly articles for human endocannabinoid system

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
When Laughed was in power in AB and his kid got popped with coke he has a treatment center built. Thanks dad, lol.